Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
I have a huge problem with stuff that lasts for only one job. It all goes straight to the landfill. It bothers me that the world is grinding out crap that lasts for ten minutes of use and ten thousand years in a mountain full of trash.

I'd rather rent a tool if I only need it once, or buy a high quality thing that I can use for many years.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Harbor Freight Tools

Has anybody else ever noticed that all Harbor Freight tools have a unique smell? I actually like it

Old 08-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
Has anybody else ever noticed that all Harbor Freight tools have a unique smell? I actually like it
It's a mixture of blood sweat and tears from the six year-old Chinese girls who work 14 hours a day making this stuff.

It'e either that or Cosmolene.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
I built my Sonex airplane using a HF rivet gun. After somewhere around 11,000 rivets I am now using it on my Airstream restoration. I think its safe to say I got my money's worth out of this tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140814_083645.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	268683  
Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lynch View Post
I have a huge problem with stuff that lasts for only one job. It all goes straight to the landfill. It bothers me that the world is grinding out crap that lasts for ten minutes of use and ten thousand years in a mountain full of trash.

I'd rather rent a tool if I only need it once, or buy a high quality thing that I can use for many years.
So? You probably don't have the reclamation contract on that landfill yet then. You probably don't even own very many acres of growing trees to replace those cut to make the house you live in. That mountain of land fill sounds like a resource for a lot of valuable materials in the future to me. Buy some land with clay for landfill liners. Invest in the folks making manufacturing islands on the floating plastic waste islands.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post

Outhouse?

Bob

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Linkan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
Thanks for all the responses. The river gun is rated for 1/8". I've taken the teeth out and pressed them together and the rivets just slide through with no gripping, I also tried it on the spare set it came with. I'm lost why the rivers would be to small. I'm doing a full restoration, so I still have to reinstall the interior skins. No way I'm riveting the inside by hand.

Ryan
https://www.instagram.com/mcstreamytheairstream/?hl=en
Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwalshalot View Post
Thanks for all the responses. The river gun is rated for 1/8". I've taken the teeth out and pressed them together and the rivets just slide through with no gripping, I also tried it on the spare set it came with. I'm lost why the rivers would be to small. I'm doing a full restoration, so I still have to reinstall the interior skins. No way I'm riveting the inside by hand.

Ryan
https://www.instagram.com/mcstreamytheairstream/?hl=en
Just a thought. You did not say how long you have had the tool but HF has a very generous warrenty return exchange program or just suck it up and buy a better quality tool.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Just a thought. You did not say how long you have had the tool but HF has a very generous warrenty return exchange program or just suck it up and buy a better quality tool.
I bought it a few months ago, I don't think it's a matter of it being a crappy tool. If I bought another HF gun it still wouldn't work. Maybe it's the rivets I'm using and not the gun. I'm buying some different rivers in Amazon, hopefully they fit.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
What is the max capacity of the gun? HF sells two guns, one maxes out at 3/16, the other at 1/4. Most people have the 3/16 model, which do you have? Also, if you are questioning your rivets, try going down to your local hardware store and picking up a small box of 50 or so and see if they work any better.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
What is the max capacity of the gun? HF sells two guns, one maxes out at 3/16, the other at 1/4. Most people have the 3/16 model, which do you have? Also, if you are questioning your rivets, try going down to your local hardware store and picking up a small box of 50 or so and see if they work any better.
I think I might have the 1/4. It said it would do 1/8" rivets. I'll take doe rivets to HB and try the on the other gun.

Ryan
Old 08-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So yes, if you have the max 1/4" capacity gun, then 1/8" rivets will be at the lower limit of what the gun can (theoretically) grab. I would hazard a guess that most of the folks here on the forums who have an HF gun have the 3/16" version, which seems to work fine with 1/8" rivets. The 3/8" version of the gun is usually about half the price of the 1/4" one, get yourself a coupon, and you could be in business.

good luck!