Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
1983 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
hammocks for children?

Hello airstreamers!
I am very much in need of assistance. After purchasing a 2009 30' Classic, we find ourselves in need of more sleeping space. We have four small girls -ages 6,5,3 & 2 and are expecting another little one January 1st. (-We will have a louder airstream than most!) With this in mind, we plan on packing them in like sardines. Currently we have plain twins and they sleep toe to toe- which is fine for now.

After reviewing some threads about bunks and realizing this is probably a better idea with an older airstream due to sturdier construction, I am wondering if something like small travel hammocks may be a good idea. This would allow us to keep all of our much needed under-bed storage and closets as well. Hammocks are probably fine for the older girls and we would put the little ones in the beds.

Any thoughts on this? I am wondering where I would place the mounts for one hammock on each side of the rear. Cabinetry perhaps? I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding the framing and how to mount things to the walls. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Thorny
Hhthorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Don't know a thing about hammocks, but could suggest a porta-crib for the baby coming that could fold up during the day---would work for quite a while. You may have already thought about that. Having cared for up to 8 little ones at a time (grandbabies), you are in for some fun and challenging times. Good luck, and will look for you on the road.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thorny,

There are ribs in the wall that would support the right kind of hardware, properly attached. IIRC Airstream used to offer a hammock option back in the 60's early 70's. Hopefully someone can provide a link for you.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
1983 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
Thank you, there are more miles on our pack and play than most would believe. It fits nicely right beside our pull-out couch as well as in the dinette. Congratulations on so many Grandbabies; all children are blessings!

Thank you, Thorny
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
hammocks for children?

I don't have any photos of the Hammock bunks that were options on Airstreams through some point in the 1970s, but they were ideally suited to children under 90 pounds. I can remember hearing the original owners commenting about the minimal rating of the hammock bunks that were an option that they purchased for the trailer that is now mine -- unfortunately, the second owner sent them to the landfill.

The hammock bunks were basically an aluminum framed, canvas cot that attached to heavy duty aluminum extrusions that attached to wall ribs in the coach, and a pair of aircraft cable hangers that attachedt to fixtures in the ceiling and the outer edges of the bunk. I believe that Inland RV considered having reproductions made two or three years ago, but don't know whether the project went through.

If your coach has the rear twin bedroom with the deep-wrap wing windows, I am not certain how the hammock bunks would attach to the side walls. I do know that the Argosy Motorhome with the deep wrap wing windows in the rear bedroom offered hammock-style bunks, but I have never actually seen one in person so am not aware of exactly how they were attached.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
hello thorny

we purchased a compact graco pack n play that fit perfectly in between our twin beds. Sorry I can't find a link for it but it is called "compact pack and play".

there is also a longer "traveller's cot" made by "phil and ted", it also fits in between the twins if you turn the feet in. (fits in a 1998 at least - not sure about 2009)
philandteds.com - sleep - traveller

5 kids - wow!!! we just have one and feel like we use every inch of our 34 footer. Your airstream sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

we also found this handy for the picnic table. it folds down for travel:
Amazon.com: Chicco Deluxe Hook-On High Chair - Nature Pattern: Baby

hope you can get the hammocks figured out! happy travels!!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I built bunks for my kids. Took out one of the twins It's not hard and the support is all in the frame of the bunk It will even support my 200 lbs.. no problem.. I made them 24 inches wide and bought a double memory foam 4 inch topper and cut it in half for the mattresses. Not great for me to sleep on but fine for the kids.

You can look at them here. if you want details on how to build them I can provide them for you.. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
For ideas on bunk beds, contact Pizzachop. He has plenty of experience with them.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
1983 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
Thank you Jason, It looks like you've done some impressive restoration on your ambassador. Have you completed your work or are you still in progress? (I may have missed some pics.)

Since we have rear twins with deep, wrap windows & a lot of cabinetry, I am not certain how I would do bunks. We will probably end up removing s when my girls are some of this storage when the girls are bigger and doing the huge bunk overhall, but for right now I think I am going to try the hammock idea. It's good enough for our submariners, right? -Pack them in like sardines?

Thank you for your help, Helen
Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Hi,

These are kids, right, all kids I've ever known would prefer to sleep in a tent. What's the issue?

Walt
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote