Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Grand Lounge Reno & Bunk Conversion

We're in the process of upgrading our 2007 Airstream International Signature with some new modifications to better fit our full-time lifestyle. And since we put full-timing on hold for awhile, this is the perfect time to get the work done.

We like the Grand Lounge that Ultimate Airstream does. I've had several friends get the work done. And there are some changes I want to make to not only the dinette but the galley and our wardrobe.

But for now, we're starting the in the rear with the bedroom. Some of you probably don't know, but we already have one bedroom remodel under our belt. We converted the original queen to twin/day bed setup. And installed a standing desk in the bedroom area.

I call this Version 1.0:

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Part II

Version 2.0 - Bunk & Double Conversion

To be honest, as a couple sleeping on the twin sucks. We appreciated the floor space, but the twin got old. When we started out in May 2015, our girls were 15 months & 3 months old. Today they're 2 & 3yrs old. And getting bigger every day. Sleeping in a crib on the front gaucho just isn't going to work anymore.

So we decided to build toddler bunks that should suffice for the next 2-3 yrs. And we decided to build a bigger bed for mommy and daddy.

I've seen a lot of interesting bunk installs on the road. And I came up with several layouts, but somehow, in the end, we came up with a layout very similar to what we had before, just reversed with different dimensions.

We have 90 inches of floor space in the middle of the rear bedroom from the front of the Airstream to the start of the hallway. A Double (Twin) is about 54Wx74L inches. And a toddler bed is 27Wx52L. So we split the difference.

Custom size double for Mom & Dad at 48 inches wide. We loose 5 inches. And 74 inches long. But this time, we'll be sleeping up against the front panoramic windows.

The lower toddler bed is for the youngest, so it gets compressed to 42 inches long. (Our youngest is also smaller than her sister. The oldest is in the 96th percentile for height, while the youngest is in the 26th). The upper bunk is 55 inches long. Both bunks are 27 inches wide.

I've also determined, I'll still have room, now on the opposite wall for a standing desk.

Anyways, I just began framing and assembly. So here are some early photos.

I basically have no idea what I am doing.

Version 2.0

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Design

Post saved for when I find my design sketches.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

So I've been making a lot of progress after work each day. Been a raining week which cut into some of my progress.

Made a little detailed layout drawing:

The bunks are basically completed. I am just waiting to finish the whole room before painting the final coats of trim paint. Getting a decent photo of them has proved hard. I am relocating our light switches to the front of the bunk.

The bed is also basically completed. Previously we had a 10 inch matress. 7 inches of foam, and 3 inches of memory foam. I dug out some of the old foam to test the size. And WOW I think we might try to find something a little thinner. Which isn't something I think I have been saying...

But Alexandra approves of the progress.

I also settled on a new standing desk design, since I had to move my original desk to the adjacent wall.

Another thing I had to do for this remodel was relocate my lithium batteries. And since I'm relocating them... well I got an idea I'm working on. If you've ever seen a gaming PC with a window cutout, that's what I'm working on building for the batteries. Sneak peak.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I love how you just change it to work for you. Most of us (me) are scared to add a hook in the wrong place. Thanks for the post
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"No idea what I'm doing " lol

Nice to see changes made to accommodate needs. I'm sure they won't be the last, and I admire that.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Making more progress on the lounge now:

Finishing touch on the underside of the bunk for the youngest

And started working on my standing desk