Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8
Front Door Wood Floor is Wet

I have a 1995 34' Limited with very few miles. I am 2nd owner and it has been towed less than 5000 miles. The last 10 years it has been on the Oregon coast and lots of other things leaked but not the wood entry. About 3 years ago; the oak started turning dark and then grey. Water is coming from somewhere but where? I found some dampness but managed to solve that problem by calking everying on the top and along the windows. I calk everything when looking for a leak.

I have seen articles on how to replace the front wood entry but I am determined to solve the problem before the rot settles in.

I have calked every reasonable place and am now thinking about taking parts off (air conditioner, awning) just to calk them and replace.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

thanks..
__________________

__________________
lmcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcatee View Post
I have a 1995 34' Limited with very few miles. I am 2nd owner and it has been towed less than 5000 miles. The last 10 years it has been on the Oregon coast and lots of other things leaked but not the wood entry. About 3 years ago; the oak started turning dark and then grey. Water is coming from somewhere but where? I found some dampness but managed to solve that problem by calking everying on the top and along the windows. I calk everything when looking for a leak.

I have seen articles on how to replace the front wood entry but I am determined to solve the problem before the rot settles in.

I have calked every reasonable place and am now thinking about taking parts off (air conditioner, awning) just to calk them and replace.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

thanks..
Have you checked the window and entrance door gaskets?

How about the fit of the entrance door?

To test the entrance door gasket, close the door on a dollar bill. Then pull the bill and see if the gasket is firmly against the bill. Go all the way around the door to check the complete gasket as well as the fit of the door.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 219
I will pull on the dollar if you need some help.
__________________
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
I will pull on the dollar if you need some help.
A 5, 10, 20, 50 or 100 dollar bill can also be used, but the greater the value, the more likely neighbors will watch.

Newer paper money works better than the wrinked stuff.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8
I changed the door rubber but it was about twice as large as the original and came from Airstream so I assumed it was OK. Do you sell OEM door rubber? The window is a good tip and I will try the dollar bill test. I only have new money; old money is long gone.

Thanks
__________________
lmcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcatee View Post
I changed the door rubber but it was about twice as large as the original and came from Airstream so I assumed it was OK. Do you sell OEM door rubber? The window is a good tip and I will try the dollar bill test. I only have new money; old money is long gone.

Thanks
We are an Airstream Service Center.

The correct gasket is triangular shaped.

yes, we stock the correct gasket.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,156
Inflation may require that you pull a lot harder on that bill. But then again if it's a down day on Wall St. it's possible it may pull a little easier.
__________________

__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exterior repair, leaks, water damage


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1993 30' (late 92 model) Excella :: 1993 Airstream Excella1000 arcamedies Airstream Registry Discussions 2 07-28-2012 10:10 AM
Front plate/tag holder t7389sg Classic Motorhomes 13 06-15-2011 08:24 PM
Front sway bar, Part number for Bushing ? John H. Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 5 06-09-2011 12:27 PM
Replace missing front window with jalousie? Cruisette Windows & Screens 6 03-31-2011 05:23 PM
Wet bath to shower? osolow Sinks, Showers & Toilets 6 03-24-2011 11:25 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.