Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #1

Front couch collapse

The fold down front couch/ bed in my 72 land yacht suddenly came free from the wall, which causes it to tilt forward/ collapse on itself. It seems to have been attached to the front wall of the trailer with just a couple of small bolts, which have ripped thru the interior skin (very cheesy installation method). Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to reattach this couch to the front wall... I'm afraid if I use a butterfly Molly bolt it will rip thru the skin. Anyone made this fix before? Thanks!

Old 09-25-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetaway View Post
The fold down front couch/ bed in my 72 land yacht suddenly came free from the wall, which causes it to tilt forward/ collapse on itself. It seems to have been attached to the front wall of the trailer with just a couple of small bolts, which have ripped thru the interior skin (very cheesy installation method). Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to reattach this couch to the front wall... I'm afraid if I use a butterfly Molly bolt it will rip thru the skin. Anyone made this fix before? Thanks!
Plate over the hole, and re-install the mounting screws through the new metal. If you do it right, the cheesy installation method will probably last another 44 years.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Mine are just attached with 3 regular itty bitty rivets each :-)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetaway View Post
(very cheesy installation method)
Cheesy installation method? It lasted for 43 years, what more do you want?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Hahaha!!! (sorry)
Somewhere along the line our front goucho replaced a midship twin bed, the other twin bed disappeared and an unusual support system for the now front couch was invented.
So when reworking this front couch potential disaster waiting to collapse it got screwed to the floor, bolted together and riveted to channels (not skin).