Old 10-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
1970 27' Overlander
1978 25' Tradewind
Sanibel , Florida
Floor Plan Modifications

Hi Everyone,
We just got our 1976 Tradewinds 25 ft. We are planning on redoing the interior and it is currently stripped out. We are considering modifying the interior floor plan. Has anyone done this and how did you choose to modify it and how did it work out? We have considered moving the bathroom to the side and using a composting toilet and tucking a twin bed all the way to the back for more kitchen space- has anyone ever seen a trailer with something like that?
Thanks for any thoughts and comments!
MG

Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I changed my rear bath to a rear queen center bath.
The biggest challenge in designing a new layout was working around the windows and the wheel wells.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #3

1972 25' Tradewind
San Rafael , California
Hi there! Haven't done it yet, but my boyfriend and I are considering the same thing with our '72 Tradewind 25'. We haven't even begun the gut, so you are way ahead of us. How did you get started on gutting it? Any lessons learned you can share before we get started on gutting ours out? Planning to get started on it in about a week. Can't wait!
Jennifer
Old 11-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
We have a 1986 25' rear twin, side bath, center kitchen, front gaucho and fold up table. The waste tanks are in the center of the trailer.

We are keeping the kitchen bath arrangement all though if we feel like making the kitchen bigger will will remove the wardrobe and shift the pantry down elongating the kitchen counter top. We did delete the spice rack. Less is more. If the elongation project gets the go ahead I will make a new cabinet for the kitchen, switching to drawers.

In the rear the twin beds will not be symmetrical, one will be a full size twin the other will be 34", the stock size, 5-6" narrower. The shower wall is deeper than the kitchen so this will make the room look balanced, but the reason is that new mattresses are needed and something near the correct size provides a lot more affordable choices.

In the front we will be moving the gaucho to the side wall across from the door. This is a fairly rare move, AS did not put much floor support under the gaucho so the floor tends to be messed up there. We ended up adding steel to the frame to support the front floor area the gaucho covered, the front room will be 49 square foot. Next to the door will be an comfortable overstuffed chair and a side table. Some sort of convertible dinning table is in the plan, but a low priority, we have the original table but it may not pass, building a table is no problem.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Hello MG,

I live in ft lauderdale and in my slow process of a frame off on my 72 tradewind.. I'm attaching a few layouts I've drawn up on CAD.

Option A is not really a wet bath but has the toilet and shower together.

I'm leaning more towards Option B to get the extra closet space. If you notice, there are 2 small circles over the rear bed (near the ex. batt and ex w.h.(water heater)) Those are the existing roof vent openings which would have to be sealed. I've put a gap between the bathroom/shower walls and the rear bedroom to allow for vent pipes to the roof.

Option C was more just playing around. I wanted to see how I could incorporate the vent fan /skylight in the bathroom BUT ultimately, I think this would limit air flow through the trailer.
The last one shows TANKS LOCATIONS and the frame on Option B.

I hope these give you some insight.

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1972-25-tradewind-a.pdf (60.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf 1972-25-tradewind-B.pdf (52.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf 1972-25-tradewind-C.pdf (52.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 1972-25-tradewind-TANKS.pdf (73.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
floor plan

Changing the floor plan in any Airstream product, is something many owners would like to do.

The very best approach is to make a reasonable scale drawing of the change.

Then, plot the change in the tongue weight, both plus as well as minus.

Changing the location of the water, black water and gray water tanks, is ok too, BUT, how the overall weight and balance will change when those tanks are full as well as empty, is extremely important.

Plotting changes on paper is very cheap, but it brings out the facts that you will have to live with.

If not sure, then post your "would like to change design" on this Forums, for positive as well as negative feedback ideas. That, costs nothing but a little time, and could quite well save the owner time as well as money.

Andy
Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehodg66 View Post

I'm leaning more towards Option B to get the extra closet space.

What would be your plan for dealing with the window in the shower?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
I don't see a window in the shower being that big of an issue but it could be covered up with a roll down, plastic shade of some sort....or even a removable acrylic cover.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
My FC has a (small) window in the shower. It is easy enough to "frost" the glass.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
1970 27' Overlander
1978 25' Tradewind
Sanibel , Florida
Our one piece of advice is to salvage as many hardware pieces as you can- they can come in handy. Also keep the interior pieces and use them as templates for newer pieces for the curvature. We reused one of the dividers that had the laminate wood. The person who started our demo just cut wires and really butchered things and my partner is luckily a top grade electrician and electrical engineer so he was able to fix it up quickly. He is moving the water heater to back corner where the bathroom is vented for more kitchen cabinet space. I used laminate countertop paint from Home depot and it worked great. Good luck with your