Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Finish Flooring Recommendations??

We have a late model Flying Cloud with sheet vinyl flooring. Have a small spot damaged that I can repair with a patch taken from under the bed; but, looking for some alternative ideas. I'm am not very happy with the quality of the existing factory sheet vinyl and it's installation.

My first thought was vinyl "planks" in a bamboo or cork pattern. However, as I look at manufacturer's installation instructions, find that they do not recommend use in uncontrolled temperature environments. Same cautions on peel and stick vinyl squares. We see temps here 10-100F. Laminate flooring also has the same manufacturer cautions plus the potential complicating factor of increased thickness.

What flooring have you used successfully to upgrade? Any material and installation suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Bumping this post because I'm sure many have already figured this out and simply haven't seen this query. Thks.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I used laminate flooring by Bruce (Armstrong). They call it the lock & fold technology - a fancy name for the tongue and groove interlock. We have it in all areas of the '89 25' Excella and in the bedroom of the '02 30' Classic. It's been in the '89 for 18 months thru a summer of heat as well as the cold winter months with no problems.
A smooth surface for the thin underlayment was the only prep needed before installing. I used 3/4" oak quarter-round to cover the expansion/contraction gap at the edges. This product is 3/8" thick with plank width of 3". Random lengths up to 4' in each box. We really like the appearance and ease of cleaning versus carpet.
Dan
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Thanks much, Dan. Will check it out. Did you use the quarter round on the edges that were curved? Have some places like that and have wonder how to do it.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I did not have any curved edges to work with. That would be a challenge! Maybe you could just cut a very small miter for the curved areas on shorter pieces. I did use silicone to fasten some molding onto the floor planks at the edges where aluminum was all there would be to nail to.
Dan