Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Finally able to post first photos :)

I am hoping these photos actually post here. ��
I have been working on our 1973 Airstream Ambassador for 3 1/2 months pretty much everyday. I still have lots of work ahead of me but wanted to share what it looked like before and after many of the projects.
Btw. Thank you to all of the forum members! You amaze and inspire me. I knew nothing about plumbing, electrical, finish work.... 3 months ago!
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eynbn4ads...DWlywNNWmOFvha
Amybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybeth View Post
I am hoping these photos actually post here. ��
I have been working on our 1973 Airstream Ambassador for 3 1/2 months pretty much everyday. I still have lots of work ahead of me but wanted to share what it looked like before and after many of the projects.
Btw. Thank you to all of the forum members! You amaze and inspire me. I knew nothing about plumbing, electrical, finish work.... 3 months ago!
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eynbn4ads...DWlywNNWmOFvha
can i ask you a few questions ...
how did you refinish the stove top and hub caps?
skylight windows with all the crap in them?!
did you make curtains yourself ?

thanks !

looks awesome
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Thanks...to answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post

thanks !

looks awesome
Glad you could see the pics. I'm new to this and I guess I posted a link to and album not individual pictures.

The stovetop cover was cleaned up using a grinder attachment on an electric screw driver. Then 3 packages of sandpaper wheels on an electric buffer, and Lots of elbow grease. Lol
The actual stove top and burners I treated with rust oleum rust remover sanded the loose rust and painted with high temp rust oleum paint. The gas burners cleaned up nicely with Steele wool. Lots of work but cheaper than the estimate of $150 for sand blasting and who know how much for chrome dipping the top.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
The vistaview Windows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post

thanks !

looks awesome
Yikes! I didn't include the "after" picture for the stovetop. I really am a novice at this.

The vista views were leaking (obviously) and the sealant (I think it was plumbers tape?) had all run between the glass and plexiglass panes. It was a real pain to redo. I was able to take them apart and clean the gunk of the glass with a razor blade and goof off adhesive remover. However the plexiglass was another story. After spending days trying to get them clean, my husband felt sorry for me and went to Tap plastics and had new ones cut. He added scratch coating and uv protection it came to about $150. So I guess we spent the $ I saved by redoing the stovetop myself! Lol
I used Vulkem in gray as well as some gasket I found at Home Depot. I put the gasket in the bottom half of the window, added a bead of Vulkem and put the glass in. I propped it in with pieces of rubber I cut to fit and let it sit overnight. The next day I cut a strip of the same gasket lengthwise and glued it in frame, added a bead of Vullkem and the the plexiglass. To be honest this took a couple of tries because when I was replacing the metal strip that holds it all in the stupid Vullkem squished between the panes and I had to try again. Finally, was able to go outside and seal the window with another bead of Vullkem. Thankfully no leaks! That was probably the worst job so far...

(I'm posting pics in case anyone else is interested)

My husband used a rubber mallet to remove dents and Busches metal polish on the hubcaps.

Yes. I made the curtains. I lined them with a solid tan material and reused as many of the original clips as possible. The fabric is gorgeous! It has a great silver sheen in the gray that doesn't show up on the pictures. I used the same fabric in the living room. I am just finishing those and will post pics soon. Thanks for your kind words. I hope this hasn't been to much information.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
Congrats. Beautiful job.
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

1973 31' Sovereign
Woodstock , Georgia
You are my hero. Looks beautiful and gives me some ideas.
FFMikeGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Great job!!!
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
You have done an amazing job! Plus wonderful photos documenting your progress. You will appreciate those images as time passes and you forget what it looked like day one. Plus, having a show and tell album book in the trailer will come in handy at rally's so people can see the amazing transformation.
Peggy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Wilson View Post
You have done an amazing job! Plus wonderful photos documenting your progress. You will appreciate those images as time passes and you forget what it looked like day one. Plus, having a show and tell album book in the trailer will come in handy at rally's so people can see the amazing transformation.
Thanks you all for all the kind words. I love the idea of a journal for progress. I purchased one that says, "She thought she could do it and so she did!" I am adding pics as I go. I do know that I wouldn't have accomplished much without this AWESOME forum. Whenever I come up against a problem I know someone has the answer (or more than one answer. Lol)
Old 10-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I will look at the photos again on the big screen but it looks great. That stove really looks vastly improved.

Congrats. Nice work.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Your fabric selections are gorgeous and work well with interior colors. Bravo on your stovetop renovation - I struggle just to keep it clean - thanks for the inspiration!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Amazing job! I love the colors. Please keep the ideas and inspiration coming!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #13

1973 31' Sovereign
wolfforth , Texas
A few dryer sheets in cabinets and corners will control mice.
flingwingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwingbob View Post
A few dryer sheets in cabinets and corners will control mice.
Mice? So far I have not seen any evidence of them. Maybe it is the black cat that showed up on the first day I started working on the trailer. She usually surprises me. Looking out the window at me when I am resealing the Windows or jumping out of nooks and crannies when I least expect it. Lol
I have no idea where she comes from...
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
aw thats sweet you made a friend. That stove looks amazing. Hard work definitely paid off.
PuraVida567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I tried silver high temp spray paint on the stove and it bubbled and burned the first time I used it.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Vancouver , Washington
Stove paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
I tried silver high temp spray paint on the stove and it bubbled and burned the first time I used it.
That's too bad about the stove paint. I used Rustoleum Ultra High heat. I have used the stove several times with no problems. One thing I did learn from this forum is not to use pans that have a larger base than the burner. If you do it will burn any paint, even high quality powder coating.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybeth View Post
One thing I did learn from this forum is not to use pans that have a larger base than the burner. If you do it will burn any paint, even high quality powder coating.
Really? I never heard that before. No wonder because I used a 12" pan. How am I supposed to cook bacon? I guess I need to look into doing something else to it then.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote