Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
FB or Nothing

We have a 27FB and like it a lot. We think the only floor plan for us is one where the living area is in the back so we take full advantage of the view when we back in. I don't want to have a rear bedroom where when I'm sitting at the dinette I'm looking at the back of the truck or the road. Would really like a 30FB with 2 recliners but they don't make it. For those of you that have rear bedrooms can you tell me why you like them. Is there a reason why Airstream doesn't make a 30FB?
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We have an 87 25' Sovereign with rear bedroom. Should we ever be able to get another trailer it would be a 27' front queen bed. We really really like that lay out. To us all other layouts are in last place!!!!
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We specifically choose a rear bed over front because

1) We don't think the single advantage of FB, view out the back, is meaningful.

2) The rear bed is more quiet and private in most campgrounds.

3) We often use large RV resorts in our 6 month winter trips where you may be backed up to the back of another RV, maybe a fifth wheel with a big window looking down into a FB.

4) We like seeing the people and activity out front.

5) The door is in front.

6) The floor plan of our RB works better for us, and allowed an easy conversion to recliners.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
For the OP - it's FB or nothing and that's cool. For Doug - the RB works really well for his needs. That's the great thing about any choice be it trailer vs motorhome vs tent - front or rear bedroom - hitch - tires - AS or SOB....it's probably not universal for everyone since we're all such weird individual critters :-)

I love my FB for the same reason as the OP - was fortunate enough to have a site on the ocean and this was our view

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1537015672.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	219672

Works for us. Everyone's mileage varies as it should.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
RB for us. That's why they give you a choice.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We prefer the rear bedroom for many reasons (we have a 28'):

1) We like the privacy and quiet in the back, we normally back in and like to leave the windows and curtains open at night. When we were camping at Assateague we were woken up by ponies huffing into our bedroom window.

2) When we are sitting on our couch in the front we can look right thru the back window to the scenery beyond, just like that ocean picture above.

3) When showering, if you open the bathroom door 90 degrees you create a spacious dressing area that includes the bedroom, very convenient.

4) How do you even put anything into the storage compartment at the front of the FB with the tanks there?

5) Viewing the Television from the front sofa is way more natural at least to us. And it flips around so we (Mrsin actually) can watch it in bed.

6) The one, I never want to use: the fire escape window is right in back of us when we sleep and is big enough to get thru.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

3) We often use large RV resorts in our 6 month winter trips where you may be backed up to the back of another RV, maybe a fifth wheel with a big window looking down into a FB.

5) The door is in front.

6) The floor plan of our RB works better for us, and allowed an easy conversion to recliners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
We prefer the rear bedroom for many reasons (we have a 28'):

1) We like the privacy and quiet in the back, we normally back in and like to leave the windows and curtains open at night. When we were camping at Assateague we were woken up by ponies huffing into our bedroom window.

2) When we are sitting on our couch in the front we can look right thru the back window to the scenery beyond, just like that ocean picture above.

3) When showering, if you open the bathroom door 90 degrees you create a spacious dressing area that includes the bedroom, very convenient.

4) How do you even put anything into the storage compartment at the front of the FB with the tanks there?

5) Viewing the Television from the front sofa is way more natural at least to us. And it flips around so we (Mrsin actually) can watch it in bed.

6) The one, I never want to use: the fire escape window is right in back of us when we sleep and is big enough to get thru.
Hi, I like my rear bedroom for all of the reasons listed above.

As for the view out back, I started a thread, I believe that I called it "View from your rear panoramic windows." Or something like that. I think I got about three posts. Now look up "View from your door" and there are thousands of posts. If the front bed trailers view from the rear panoramic windows are so great, how come no-one posted their pictures? [just saying]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Hi, I like my rear bedroom for all of the reasons listed above.

As for the view out back, I started a thread, I believe that I called it "View from your rear panoramic windows." Or something like that. I think I got about three posts. Now look up "View from your door" and there are thousands of posts. If the front bed trailers view from the rear panoramic windows are so great, how come no-one posted their pictures? [just saying]
I gotta look up that thread!

:-)

Totally a choice thing. There isn't a right/wrong good/bad decision here!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Most people like what the have best, then when they get something different, they like that best.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I gotta look up that thread!

Totally a choice thing. There isn't a right/wrong good/bad decision here!
Hi, I found it: "View from your Panoramic Windows." 16 posts and 15 pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Most people like what the have best, then when they get something different, they like that best.
Amen, Doug!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Joyce and I love our walk around queen RB. We searched long and hard to find a trailer (AS, of course) with the rear queen bed with floor to ceiling ward robes/integrated nightstands, complete bathroom on one side with huge shower, huge wardrobe on the other side, and no dinette.

That gives us more counter space, more storage, and enough room in front to hold a square dance.

You could pick any one of those things we like and ask "why would you like that?" Because it suits our lifestyle.

That's why they make so many choices.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Like I said originally, "the only floor plan for US is the FB." I appreciate you all telling me why you like your RB. I wish Airstream would give me the CHOICE of a 30FB.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
FB or Nothing

We just chose a 2015 30' FB Bunkhouse (front and rear bedroom!)....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
FB or Nothing

I don't get the "view" from the dinette in the FB argument....if it's such a great view...GO OUTSIDE! . We are camping, not stuck in a closed suite overlooking the LV strip.

If you haven't guessed....I prefer the RB layout
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I don't get the "view" from the dinette in the FB argument....if it's such a great view...GO OUTSIDE! . We are camping, not stuck in a closed suite overlooking the LV strip.

Not all of us are "camping" some of us are working and living, because we're full time.

I personally wish the 28 had come in FB configuration. I like the dinette on the side with the smaller L couch a lot. But the 28 also compromises in a few other areas I don't like. But if it was an option, I would of bought that.

Considering the length difference between the 27 & 28 I have wondered in the lack or reasoning why it isn't offered has something to do with weight distribution in those sizes.

The FB's tend to have heavier tongues. But I'm just guessing.

And FB all the way. I have no issues with privacy.

Our daughter is people watcher, she loves to sit on the bed and watch.

And my wife and I enjoy working with a view.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Camping is living, and working is overrated
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Not sure why I choose the title "FB Or Nothing." If we had do overs, I'd change to "FB vs RB." If they didn't offer an FB at all, I would have been more than satisfied with a RB vs nothing. I'm somewhat surprised how strongly some feel about their choice. You would have thought the thread was a discussion on tow vehicles, tires, or corrosion!

I thought maybe weight distribution was also a reason for not making a 30FB but they make a 30FB Bunk. Maybe the bunks in back distribute some of the weight better.

And yes, I'd rather be outside enjoying the view. But full timing and being inside a certain percentage of each day at the dinette, the view becomes important.

We're at Illini State Park right now. The view is of the Illinois River. If I'm lucky this morning, a barge will come up or down the river with the sun rising over it's tug. I'd miss that if I was sitting up at the other end.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post

I love watching a storm over the ocean from the comfort of my recliner :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
Not sure why I choose the title "FB Or Nothing." If we had do overs, I'd change to "FB vs RB." If they didn't offer an FB at all, I would have been more than satisfied with a RB vs nothing. I'm somewhat surprised how strongly some feel about their choice. You would have thought the thread was a discussion on tow vehicles, tires, or corrosion!

And yes, I'd rather be outside enjoying the view. But full timing and being inside a certain percentage of each day at the dinette, the view becomes important.
It's probably strong because it comes down to what fit's people's lifestyles. Dkottum's post puts that into clarity for me, as it's the complete opposite of our lifestyle and I can't disagree anymore with it.

Quote:

5) The door is in front.

The interesting thing, I have been a backpacker for awhile and on some of the hiking forums, there is just the same type of strong opinion between the ultra-light backpackers and everyone else.

Just like those who think Airstreams' aren't camping.