Old 11-28-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Elastomeric paint

I put on acrylic primer, then a coat of white elastomeric paint on the portion of the interior skin that will be a "shower wall". Anybody ever use this stuff? I'm also putting a caulking (again, "waterproof") in each seam - there's plenty seams since this is in a '57 trailer and the back section is a whole bunch of strips.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We used an elastomeric paint on the outside of our house to seal our damaged LP siding, which was cracking. It went on thick and filled in the cracks, and has held up over a year now. I'll bet it will do fine on a shower wall, it certainly won't get the beating it's taking outdoors on our house. We covered it with a coat of exterior latex (as I remember) paint, and have had no problem with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Moisture underneath is elastomeric's enemy

Elastomeric paints are designed to keep out water, bridge cracks and move with the substrate. If you put elastomerics over a wet wall or a wall with a lot of vapor drive you could end up with blistering and peeling. The good news. Aluminum is a perfect vapor barrier so if you paint on dry, clean walls and it sticks you should have no problem. Knock on wood, er aluminum.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

elastomeric paint

Thanks for the encouraging words. I plan to put on two coats then a latex exterior with some color. I talked to the paint store guy and he says he can color the elast.. so may just one more coat with the color all in. Easy way to build a shower enclosure IF IT WORKS..... Also filled in the little holes in the rivet heads with the waterproof caulking prior to painting. Having a copper shower pan built and bought a small shower door and frame from Home Despot which becomes the door to the entire bathroom/potty/shower. The Cozy Cabin propane heater from Force 10 arrived too and it's going in next to and outside the bathroom wall which I'll cover with either copper of stainless steel. It's about the cutest little heater I've ever seen.
jw
Old 11-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Post a pic when you can. It sounds like a nice setup.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote