Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
, North Carolina
DIY double bed frame plans?

Hello good folks. I want to build a frame for a double bed in the back of my 31 foot '81 Excella (where there were two single beds I removed). Surely someone has posted plans or tips here but I haven't been able to find them. I have drawn up a sketch with a friend that I feel good about but would much prefer hearing from someone who has already succeeded just to save time. The length of the bed will be oriented parallel to the bumper and I plan on having the mattress cut to be flush with the curve (have to research who makes those). I want to use slats instead of plywood to help with air circulation. I also want to be able to store under the bed (just slide stuff under, nothing fancy). Thanks for any leads!

simple sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
I'm in the same boat! Mine is in the front of my '65 safari, and I still have not decided on how I want it to work. a full time bed I have had for 2 years. I love the mattress, but maybe a couch design would be better. I'll eventually have my water tank under it, and storage as well. Keeping an eye out for plans as well, even though I may design and build something on my own. C.

Chris Petrell aka Taz
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
simple and Taz,

We did something similar in our 64 Safari (22') several years ago. It was the dinette model floor plan so it had the large window on the curb side in front of the door. That allows more room for a bed to go in lengthwise in the trailer. We wanted to be able to each be able to get out of bed on our own side like the newer 27' Front Bedroom models. We shortened the street side gaucho and moved the refrigerator aft about 6 - 8". That gave us enough room for the bed. To your point Taz, we originally started with a bed that folded into a couch and coffee table. When the bed was extended, the coffee table became the foot of the bed. We used new gaucho slides from VTS for the slats and put two pieces of inch plywood for the mattress base. We used high end crib mattresses and the sofa back as the cushions for the sofa and mattress for the bed. We found that we would deploy the bed on the first night of our travels, then leave it that way until we got home. So this year we put a full size Euro-top mattress and leave the bed set up all the time. I've included a sketch and photo, hope it helps as you design your solutions.

As a side note we're about to do something similar as we work on our 68 Overlander (26'). I think I've figured out how to do a sofa with three sections that pull out and I spotted a mattress at Ikea that I can modify to fold into sofa configuration. The 68 is more challenging because the door is set further forward with less distance between the front wall and the first "difficult to move" interior cabinet.

Good luck and please PM if you want me to take some other photos or want to toss some ideas around.

Roy and Marie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front bed sketch.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	227731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8138.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	227732  

64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1990 29' Excella
Corner Brook , Newfoundland
Bed Plan

Had to repair floor so decided to change the bed frame. Ours is the double bed across. I dismantled the box framing and used the material to make the storage compartment which opens from outside. I then made a bed frame using oak board for strength which I laid flat. I had an old kitchen table that had 2 inch pipe legs which had the flat square plate welded to the top. I cut these to the exact length so that with the original plywood under the mattress would lay over the storage compartment on the pillow end. I welded ends in the pipe and put stick-on felt pads so as not to mark the floor. The plywood I fastened to the oak frame. There is room under the bed for two big storage containers. Being the bed is movable as did not fasten to the storage compartment we can slide it back tight to the end wall giving more room in front of bed if needed for changing. We bought a memory foam mattress that if needed can be trimmed to better fit the end wall.
I may enter some pictures someday.
Iys.Da.Bye is offline   Reply With Quote