Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

East , Maryland
Creating a custom 20-22' single bike toy hauler.. Has it been done?

I am looking at a long term project but one that I can use for long travel on the road and I need to take my HD with me. I know I can get a smaller toy hauler that can cover all my needs, but I want to spend the time to customize a trailer as a project with my autistic son, and if I am going to put the time and effort, it should be a Airstream. ...

I'm hauling with a V6 Tacoma and I dont really want to go more than 22 if at all possible.. I have a couple questions. Sorry to the purists but I want to gut and modernized an existing shell.

I know it will be cramped in the rear, and I intent to strengthen the rear frame behind the axle and diamond plate the floor interior between the toilet and a custom shower that would allow me to park my bike for hauling. This would also require a modification to the rear section to allow a internal ramp and rear door as well.

A couple questions,

Has anyone attempted to do this before with a 22 trailer?

How would the dynamics be affected with a 700lb bike set between the rear and the axle on a single axle vs a double axle as on a 23?

Anything else I should I keep in mind while planning this?

Thanks for the comments on my first post here...
Strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
that could pose a problem with 700lbs behind the single axle, like making the tongue weigh almost nothing,put the bike in the pickup...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have seen several trailers converted to toy haulers but everyone I have seen has the weight over the axle(s).

For example the one out of Barillaro Speed Emporium The Airstream Car Hauler: Phase One on Vimeo
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We saw a single axle Argosy made into a toy hauler used for powered parachute equipment. I would think if you gut the trailer what you remove should off set the weight of your HD. You should be able to locate a spot to tie down the HD that will provide proper tongue weight.
I would fit the trailer with a new axle, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Will probably bend the frame.

My thoughts are that you will bend the frame. The load capacity is not just for the axle and tongue weight. It might be possible to bend the entire trailer.

The Eddie Bauer 25FB might be your ticket. If your set on a 22 or 23, then you might write to the factory and see if you can't install one of the Eddie Bauer doors on a shorter trailer. Just and thought and don't know if the frames could be converted to a smaller trailer. The 22s and 23s are 6 inches narrower than the 25. But, hey, it's something to explore.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Strato
You say you don't really want to go longer than 22ft, but given the extra 700 lbs you will probably need to (and want to for a spare set of rolling tires) since everything shorter will have a single axle. Good luck. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote