Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

Toronto , Ontario
complete reno cost

Hello. I am a new member and wanted to run something by the seasoned folks who obviously know what they are doing with their AS. I have recently looked at a 1975 31 foot Sovereign. Nice bones, but obviously a complete gutt in my opinion. The seller said I can live in it for years, but not up to my standard, nor my wife's. So I am trying to price together what it will cost me to restore this thing. It's the back bathroom model. I pretty much want to rip everything out, sand all the furniture, paint it, remove the interior walls, replumb, rewire and then put everything new back in. New appliances, new flooring, new aluminium walls just like the newer units have. I have so far come up to about $9K in costs between new fridge, stove, AC, furnace, pump, sink, faucets, toilet, shower, floor, wiring, aluminum interior skin. Labour is free, I'd like to think I can handle most of the work. I have not included the axles, brakes (disc), wheels and tires. I think that would be about $3k. So I am up to about $13K.
My question is: is this a realistic budget or am I completely dreaming? I know that AS's are cool but if I approach $20K range, I might as well look for another aerodynamic box on wheels.
What do all the veterans think? The current owner does not claim it requires floor replacement, but I want to do it anyways...might as well do it since I will have come that far.
engman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
I hate to say this but that sure is a lot of money to pay to spend a year finding parts and doing all of the work yourself.

I certainly prefer the '70s style and functionality but that decade's prices are still pretty low for some darn fine units that are out there. People are still only throwing good money at the more popular pre 70s models it seems. If the price is right and you upgrade as you go and only upgrade what really adds to your experience and safety you could come out doing pretty well in the end. I still have under $6000 invested in this enjoyable little hobby, but my hobby doesn't necessarily include rivets or polish or restoration

BTW, I don't know this to be fact but I think '77 was the first year for trailer breaks, which could be very expensive to add properly after the fact. Also, from what I've read the rear baths had more issues with their rears drooping. I'd think for 13k you could easily find something now to use this spring. Good luck.
Grrrwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
About 15 K in this plus a lot of labor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392102771.461385.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	205350Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392102791.904047.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	789.3 KB
ID:	205351

It could be done for less certainly, but there is very little of the stock 72 left inside.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
No major exterior or running gear work was required, about 4 feet of frame was replaced in the back, and about 5' of the floor plywood in the back and about a half a sheet pieced in around the front under the windows.

We stripped the shell and rewired, new cabinets, fixtures, etc. the a/c did not need replacing.

It is very comfortable though, I am laying down in the sleep number bed in Lubbock Texas as I type.....

I would do it all over again, fun project to build and even more fun to enjoy!!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
complete reno cost

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392103544.442812.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	205352Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392103571.543575.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	205353

Oh, my 72 had brakes on both axles, and it helped my budget that they were in great shape.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
15 - 18k + labor
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Good budget numbers in this thread:

Great thread here for budget estimates and actual renovation dollars:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f372...get-45902.html

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote