Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Redcliff , Alberta
Changing Floor Plan

I am renovating a 1976 31' Landyacht Sovereign. I am wanting to change the floor plan from a rear bath to the bathroom and shower located on roadside. I am wondering if the black water tank has to be relocated as well. I am going to have the back as a full double or possibly queen bed room. What obstacles might I run into?

Thanks Rory - Time Machine

Time Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Ft Myers , Florida
Surprised no one has chimed in to this point. I remodeled our Tradewind - removing the bathroom and replacing it with a queen bed platform and mattress. I did not replace the bathroom because we ALWAYS stay where there are nicer and more spacious facilities. However, I'm not sure how one would accomplish a re-locate.

The issues I see:

1) There is a special pan under the rear bath (seperate from the belly pan) that provides the room for the plumbing to exit the black water tank and join the drain for the grey water tank before it leaves the trailer. If you move the black water tank you likely need another pan and to re-plumb the black water tank to join the main drain.

2) If your black water tank is like mine, the toilet dropped waste straight down into the black water tank. This might mean that you have no choice but to move the tank to align with the toilet.

3) You'll also have to relocate your vent stack and ceiling fan which means patching two holes and cutting new ones. You'll have to build a new closet to house the new stack but some of the old parts might be reusable.

4) Electric circuits and lighting will also take some thought - particularly for the ceiling fan.

Wish you luck.

Mike & Laurel
Ft. Myers, FL
1977 Airstream Tradewind
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Redcliff , Alberta
Thanks Mike for the reply. I was also surprised that there no other replies. The points you make are all things I was thinking of as well. I guess I will just have to do some more digging to find out how to accomplish this. I do want to keep a bathroom in the unit so I will probably have to relocate the black water tank or somehow re plumb it to work in the back. Airstream does have units with that floor plan as this is where I came up with it, so I should look into how they are doing this on the new ones.

Thanks again, Rory
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
Consider Composting Toilet

Hi Rory,
have you considered installing a composting toilet and eliminating the need for a black tank altogether? This is what I will do in my '74 Tradewind. Just like you I am changing the floor plan and will have a wet bath with composting toilet in the rear street side corner, and the bed in the curbside corner like the newer 23' models. This allows me to leave the grey tank where it is.

Here is my post in a recent composting toilet thread:

I did a lot of research on composting toilets and it is definitively the way to go for me. There are tons of positive experiences on the web by boaters and RVers alike.
Martina & Mickey (the Aussie Clown)
TV: 2011 F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
MaggieMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Redcliff , Alberta
Thanks for the info. I will check it out, it may be an answer to changing the black water tank.