Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

1965 20' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Cedar floor?

Please bear with what may be a dumb question...

We have ripped the cabinets, countertops, gouchos and dinette out of our 65 Globetrotter and are now at the same point it seem like most of you eventually get to. It's hard to stop. The floor should be replaced. Ok, so then the walls must come off. Ok, now the bathroom shell's gotta go. Soon we will be down to a bare steel shell, original plan be damned.

Considering then how to rebuild it, I have been wondering if we can approach it differently this time. Instead of trying to make everything in the trailer watertight, could it all just be made out of materials that water won't compromise?

Suppose we made the floor out of cedar, clad the interior shell with stainless panels over that thermal bubble wrap-type insulation and build cabinets and wall partitions with marine grade birch.

Ideally, I'd like to make a wet room shower directly on the same cedar floor without a liner.

Could it work?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Covered storage, meticulous maintenance of weather seals and seams makes more sense to me than installing a cedar floor.
In any case, cedar will rot. Cypress wood will last forever.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleyyyc View Post
Please bear with what may be a dumb question...

We have ripped the cabinets, countertops, gouchos and dinette out of our 65 Globetrotter and are now at the same point it seem like most of you eventually get to. It's hard to stop. The floor should be replaced. Ok, so then the walls must come off. Ok, now the bathroom shell's gotta go. Soon we will be down to a bare steel shell, original plan be damned.

Considering then how to rebuild it, I have been wondering if we can approach it differently this time. Instead of trying to make everything in the trailer watertight, could it all just be made out of materials that water won't compromise?

Suppose we made the floor out of cedar, clad the interior shell with stainless panels over that thermal bubble wrap-type insulation and build cabinets and wall partitions with marine grade birch.

Ideally, I'd like to make a wet room shower directly on the same cedar floor without a liner.

Could it work?
moist air combined with a closed or dark trailer = mold and mildew in the AS - shelve your plans. Replace subfloor with marine plywood, install nice wood floor, and seal the leaks.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

1) Sealing the leaks is easy to do once the interior skins are out from replacing the floor ~ we are proud to say we don't have any since our restoration a couple of years ago.

2) Stainless is a lot heavier, more ridged and harder to work with than aluminum for the interior skins...

3)...also you'd have to deal with dis-similar metals as the ribs that make up the exterior walls are aluminum.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
coley,
i've been thinking along similar lines. except, yes, seal it without the intention of it getting wet - but, don't ignore the fact that water could get in one day. i see where you are going... they do make cedar ply, but... there are alternative materials you could use, not wood at all. they have been discussed on the forums but they slip my mind at the moment..

what i was thinking was to drill weep holes in the subfloor and through the C channel and polyurethane each weep hole to allow condensation or water from leaks to exit instead of rot. i havent given that idea up yet.