Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Clarkston , Michigan
Can you paint metal cabinets?

Hello,
Well we are home with our 2nd Argosy in two months(long story) I've cleaned it; my hubby's sealed all the windows, put new sub floor in and now I'm staring at it thinking what if all those cabinets were white? Everything is in tact and looks good but my brain has a hard time living with a lot of dark cabinetry... Has anyone painted them?? I'm not sure how you could without scratches happening. Thanks for letting me be a part of this amazing web space! You all are super knowledgeable!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410747145.386854.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	221876Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410747213.378452.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	802.8 KB
ID:	221878
Dutch78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Of course you can paint metal cabinets. Just about any metal can be painted, if you use the right paint. I think your question is, can you paint the vinyl wood-grain that's stuck to the metal? That's a slightly different issue, and it needs a different paint than what you would use on bare metal.

Don't take my word as gospel because I'm not the paint guru, but my recommendation is to use polyurethane paint and polyurethane primer. Since you want it to end up white, first use a dark primer to mask the wood gran on the vinyl sheeting. Then follow with a second coat of primer in a lighter color. Then two coats of white paint.

Make sure you buy a one-part polyurethane paint, not a two-part paint that you have to mix. Interlux makes an excellent polyurethane that they make for painting fiberglass boat gelcoats, but that will also work well on vinyl (modern gelcoat is a vinylester). It ain't cheap, though, so you might want to shop around for other one-part polyurethane paints from reputable manufacturers.

Polyurethane paint fumes are nasty to breathe, so do your painting a bit at a time, not all at once, and use plenty of forced-air ventilation, and take a break if you start to get headaches.

Also check your weather forecast to find out the dew point for each day you're going to be painting, and make sure the temperature where you're painting is at least five degrees above the dew point; this will ensure that the surfaces to be painted are dry.

Polyurethane paint can be applied by brush, roller, or spray. Spray gives the best finish— if you're good at it— but if you're not accustomed to spray painting, stick to a foam roller for large surfaces, with a foam (not bristle) brush for edging and trim work. Use blue masking tape and heavy kraft paper to mask areas that will not be painted, like the cabinet latches.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Clarkston , Michigan
Thank you so much for your input and help!! Yes, my husband informed me last night about the vinyl coating😁. I do love to paint everything so we will see if I take this task on now or live with things for a bit. I hate to ruin something that looks in good original state too.
Have a blessed day; thanks again!
Dutch78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I think that Krylon Fusion is great stuff, and no primer needed. I have used it on the ABS propane cover lid, still holding fast after 4 summers and 3 winters. also on a new hitch coupler, the shower wall that the wall paper peeled off of and other parts and it as still holding fast. Very happy with Krylon Fusion.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I think that Krylon Fusion is great stuff, and no primer needed. I have used it on the ABS propane cover lid, still holding fast after 4 summers and 3 winters. also on a new hitch coupler, the shower wall that the wall paper peeled off of and other parts and it as still holding fast. Very happy with Krylon Fusion.
Krylon Fusion is an acrylic alkyd paint that contains multiple types of solvents, including:
Lt. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent;
Toluene;
Ethylbenzene;
Xylene;
Acetone; and
Methyl Isobutyl Ketone.
I would happily recommend Krylon if you were painting bare metal, fiberglass, or solid plastics. But the solvents in the paint might melt the thin vinyl sheet that has the wood grain pattern. Before using it on your precious Airstream, find a similar vinyl sheet to test it on.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The cabinets are metal underneath? I'm surprised, I figured they were some sort of wood product.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote