Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dallas , Texas
Best way to take apart Silver Streak interior?

Hi, I just got a 1977 Silver Streak 32ft RB, I am going to re-do the entire trailer over the next several years... starting with tomorrow! What is the best way to take apart the interior? I dont think there is anything I want to save, but I do want to use the unit as an extra office/hangout space, if possible, so I dont really want to just take a sledge hammer and destroy it... any suggestions? Just start unscrewing screws and pull things out? I definitely want to take out the bathroom as well, but have no clue how to even approach that! I have never done anything like this so any advice, no matter how "obvious" it may seem, will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Pictures: Picasa Web Albums - 11201877028158876... - 1977 Silver S...
Albatrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
If you're not concerned about the trailer's value or its a basket case then simply start removing things and make the interior into what you need. If you ever intend to use the rig as a TT or sell it as a TT then stripping out the interior and removing the bathroom will affect the resale value in most cases. As such I would consider what the long term ramifications are before proceeding.

That being said, removal is fairly straight forward. I'd start at the front and work my way aft. Remove the obvious screws and /or rivets then slowly move things away from the attachment point(s). Move slowly because there are often unseen/hidden fasteners that will need to be removed.

Removed materials and components may have some market value so taking care of things as they are removed may bring you $$.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi alba'

u r obviously excited about the new acquisition, congrats.

and hopefully u realize THIS is an a/s site not a s/s site (more on this later)
_______

the BEST way to "take apart" this thing, is to start by NOT taking anything apart.

unless you are an experienced rv renovator or trained rv TECH..STOP and think and plan first.

cuze once u start gutting it there is NO going back.

and 1000s of rv get gutted that NEVER get restored, so the odds are WAY against this working out.

i've read your WANTS in your other threads, they are interesting but somewhat UNrealistic.
_______

i doubt u r discouraged by the preceding, but again THINK first.

if you had just purchased an OLD HOUSE and planned to renovate, would u START by knocking out ALL of the walls and gutting it?
_______

begin by becoming familiar with the thing and ALL of the systems, layout, construction and SPACE.

spend a week puttering AROUND inside it.

explore, take video, take 100s of photos, make notes and so on.

add to the that some rudimentary sketches of the current floorplan and start projections on NEW use of the space.

forget a timeline, but at least start tabulating a budget.

do ALL of the above (and more) without taking ANYTHING apart.

and GO OVER the EXTERIOR in the same fashion.
_______

where are PARTS gonna go, dumpster or storage space?

( i would KEEP/STORE everything)...

many of the parts are long since obsolete and may be REused or serve as templates.

then BAG and TAG everything and take PIX of each part removed and original location.
_______

once you start peeling interior bits there will be PLUMBING and ELECTRICAL and GAS stuff to deal with.

those systems need to be documented and again BITS should be kept.
_______

doesn't matter if EVERYTHING is gonna be new, the EXISTING layout and assembly still matters a great deal.
_______

100s of folks here post the question "how do i put a xxx together or install a xxx in my old stream ?

and the a/s community can post pix or instructions or ORIGINAL placements...

but U are gonna be largely flying WITHOUT that backup.

so the greatest/best source for HOW/where/why is RIGHT at your hands now.
________

disassembly is STUPID EASY.

but a huge mistake as the starting point.

play with it for awhile and get a plan going before becoming a wrecking ball.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The 2 guys who posted about this gave you some good pointers.
Just my opinion but, that really looks like a nicely kept trailer. I think I would just clean it up and repair as needed. Otherwise, you may not get to use it for a long time if you tear into it.. A used trailer that has a lot of original stuff in it can command more money at trade in time if looks clean and with only minor(but tasteful) updates.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
_

. , .
we all dream differently...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...out-62135.html

the OP wants 100+ gallons of water, big water heater for 2x a day showers...

an indoor GYM...

a place to store 2-3 bikes, kayaks, guns INSIDE the trailer...

a spot to RIDE the bike INDOORS on rollers (yes indoors) ...

and to do it all while boondocking (solar, magic toilet and so on....)

while using plastic storage bins for storage and decor...

so clearly the bed/galley/kitchen and closet space are 2ndary.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Wow, never even crossed my mind. Different strokes,,
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
True that photos will help, and that there may be those who want parts of all sorts. Once it's out, it ain't going back (especially that shower/tub) even though it all had to come through the door originally. Some of the guys on the S/S Mailing List (at Toms' Web Page) are a good source for all things Silver Streak (and many of them here in Texas). There's a lot of disassembly to the plumbing is my first thought. And the vinyl walls are themselves aluminum, so don't go swinging hammers. It ain't a stick house.

So long as you are not going to remove the floor (just it's cover) everything else will come apart. As above, from front to rear. Remove the stove and refrigerator first. Figure out what will plug the hole the A/C once sat in. Be careful about removing furnace (do ducting first). As all plumbing is copper you can cut between joints, but remove chases in bath first. The biggest area of difficulty is the kitchen sink cabinetry as the furnace, fresh water and a fair amount of electrical all come together there. The rest of the water system ought to be in the closet next to it (pump and accumulator tank), or, maybe under that side bed.

Truthfully, while there is exterior corner damage I didn't see anything bad about the interior as shown. A whale of a lot of cleaning could change your mind. These trailers are better laid out than you might realize as the "cleared space" won't be nearly so big as you think. There's very little that will fit through that door (29" as I recall), and the S/S people (as with other brands) spent a lot of time and expertise in fitting a great deal of living space (storage, too) into a small container . . . without it feeling cramped.

How many places can you sit in at one time? In any building? And that 18' of wraparound windows on the front might work on you. A better couch, cool breeze, a cold one . . . . try it out for an afternoon, there at the storage place.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
These trailers are better laid out than you might realize as the "cleared space" won't be nearly so big as you think.

I should re-state this: the gutted trailer, no matter the size, WILL be very "small" in comparison to the installed factory interior. It's more than a psychological trick, but that factor was a huge selling point for the various brands and a great deal of design work went into it.

Recommend reading A LOT of of restoration threads around here prior to doing any demo. That trailer you have is better than you may realize. Especially leave the tub/shower alone, IMO.

Concentrate first on making it roadworthy (suspension rebuild, brake rebuild/rewire, LED marker lights), at least a REESE Dual Cam hitch; new safety chains, breakaway switch; new battery box and wiring, new power cable to Tow Vehicle; etc. Windows will need new seals, may need new operators; exterior door WILL need new hinges if Huffstetter still has any (Mail List); door and storage door gaskets; pull the old vinyl trim belting and replace galv screws with ss screws; roof vent covers need replacing (Fantastik Fan upgrade?) roof plumbing stacks need to be resealed (same with fridge vent); TV and radio antennas may need re-wiring; tail/turn/park lamps need new covers, etc. Also, need to look for and seal any holes, tears and be sure water tank access is sealed. Look for places to keep vermin out.

Need to clean ground stud and repair/replace all wiring terminations on it. Run a dehumidifier to dry out interior if it is musty. Etc. Plenty to do in other words. This is also the time to read up on theft prevention. Both keeping thieves out, and to keep them from driving off (in tow or behind wrecker) with your trailer.

Have you gotten insurance quotes? Looked into agreed value versus stated value policies? Has trailer had state inspection? Title cleared?

Every item mentioned is worth your time in reading multiple threads. Many A/S items overlap S/S as to problem solving.

Start on the outside and work your way around top/bottom . . . and I used a buffered aluminum cleaner designed for anodized aluminum available from WEST MARINE: Mary-Kate "Aluminex" Clean & Shine (there is another product called Aluminex that is NOT ano alum or glass safe). Small sections, keep it wet, stiff scrub brush.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...m-cleaner.html

Camper Capitol (name?) on Forest Lane is your friend for tons of small stuff. I'm sure I spent over a grand there.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote