Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Best Floor Plan and Why

Hi Everyone,

I did a search today and, literally, went through 500 posts. I found one post from nearly two years ago that addressed part of my question. So, I shall pose it to you all now.

On a big trailer (mine is a 31'), what is the best floor plan and why?

I see three components to this:

First, rear bath vs. center bath. I am looking at doing a radical rebuild of my trailer and it wouldn't be a big deal to change it from one to the other during this process. That being said, it is currently a rear bath with the center full/queen/two-person bed/whatever you call it and I like that layout fairly well. I see me putting in two flatscreen TV's, one up front and one in the middle area for me to use when the kids (two small ones) are watching Sponge Bob up front. But, I also see where a rear bedroom would be nice for privacy issues aka you don't have kids running over you in the middle of the night to get to the potty. So, I'd like to rehash the issue of center vs. rear bath.

Second issue is that my coach has the gaucho (I think I have this term right...the fold out couch that turns into a bed) on the curb side with a fold out table on the street side. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this compared to the same unit mounted across the front of the coach, opening toward the rear of the coach?

A third issue would be that of an actual dinette vs. the fold out table. I have the 2004 Airstream catalogue and I like the floor plan in the 30' classics where there is a dinette and a gaucho up front.

At any rate, I'd like to hear from you all on this. The old post I read on the bathroom location issue seemed to be nearly a 50/50 split. I do like the layout of my trailer currently. But, I'm looking to totally gut it and completely rebuld it. It wouldn't be a big deal at that stage to rearrange.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

JG
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jim,
IMHO - if you are talking kids think center bath. The seperation is nice and both sides can get to the bath at night without climbing over or through the other's bedroom.

One other thing to consider would be to make the "grown up" bedroom convertable from room to bedroom. perhaps another gaucho that converts into a bed. We find with the little ones (4,6,9), that if they are all tucked away by 8:30 we're sitting on the rear queen with little room to move around. In fact, removing the bed and adding a convertable couch is the next big modification we're making on our 34.5' motorhome.

As a MoHo owner, I don't really have anything to add on the front gaucho question but it sounds like you're planning a cool project. Keep us posted.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
My favorite floor plan would be the mid split bath on the newer trailers with a dinette. I can take or leave the dinette but "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" The only issue that comes to mind is that the new split baths are in a widebody...ditto the dinette. I am not sure we have the room in our single wides I prefer the rear bath at this point because of the room in it....and that is what I have.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
_

. , .
jim

one of the neat things about airstreams is that with very little change outside there can be great variety inside.....and yet some floorplans are time less.....

the main negs for rear bath imo are....floor rot in older units, rear sag in older units, weight distribution and are guests gonna use the john?

for mid baths an issue to consider is split vs all on one side....mine is all on one side, but i much prefer the split bath (look at 30 vs 31 floorplans) and with the 34 i would like 2 closets instead of one long one. i think if you talk with owners of newer trailers......this issue of split bath vs full side will come up alot....my moho had a split and it creates a bigger total bath room area...using the hall floor space.

the front sofa/bed with dinette layout is pretty amazing for utility for a couple....but if i had kids....i'd want something else. i can't imagine many will ever use the dinette for a bed these days....

some day i may take out the dinette and put a half/circle/leaf drop cafe style table with two chairs....but a soda shop half circle slide in booth would be cool too....

cheers 2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Pass-thru bath

We absolutely love the pass-thru center bath on our Classic 28. Drawers and both wardrobes are located in the area between the sliding doors so that everything is right at hand to bathe and dress. There is loads of room in there, even with the cat's litter box in that area. We just have to move the litter box about 4" to use the shower.

We had the side bath in the 25. I could barely turn around and even getting in and out of the shower was a challenge. I could hardly raise my arms to dry off after a shower.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
_

. , .
hi jim and others

thought i'd seen a thread/poll on bathroom design preferences......here it is.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=recipes

cheers
2air'
Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Question How did you.... ???

2air' -- You searched on "?highlight=recipes"?????

Tell me something I don't know about your search process ...... . But good!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
You searched on "?highlight=recipes"?????

Tell me something I don't know about your search process ...... . But good!
bob
i'd like to share my unique search skills but the approach i use for finding things is currently under investigation....and if the government decides i'm not violating national security.....

well i'll be writing a book.....

now where did i put my keys?

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right_question.gif
Views:	175
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	17627   Click image for larger version

Name:	einstein.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	17630  

Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
To me, the best floor plan depends on you, whoever else is going to be with you, and how you plan to use the unit.
That said, for my husband, two standards, and myself, we love the center bath and rear double bed! I must admit, we would love to have a queen bed... more room for the dogs!
For our use, the center bath with the folding doors at the kitchen and bedroom offer more privacy when we have one or two staying with us on the front couch. Did you realize those door on the ends of the hall open in opposite directions? Even with the dogs rambling back and forth, we have privacy! No clear line of sight unless the two doors are wide open!
Think about how you want to use the trailer. Do you want to cook a lot? Do you need more room for lounging? How often do you expect to do laundry? Where will you store the laundry hamper if more than two loads! How much closet space do you really need? (Do you know how much those clothes WEIGH??)

Elizabeth in Iowa
Think about how you will use it as you begin your planning
Old 01-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The uses of the trailer are so personal. We loved the rear bath but hated the twin beds and there was no reasonable way to make it a queen. There was pleanty of storage in our 31' and the couch in the front would make into a bed.
We wanted a queen bed and the rear is the only reasonable place to put it. We have slept 2 adults and 4 kids in our 34' for a week. Ages of the kids were from 15 to 7 both sexes.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Cheboygan , Michigan
Floor plan

Kind of looking at a 28' Excalla with the center bath currently. I had a 30' but didn't like the dinette(Lose storage), or rear queen (To each his own I guess). I sometimes go to music fests with a friend and I ain't into the "alternate life style", so to speak, so twins are required.

Also it appears that the center bath is larger on the 28' with two wardrobe closets. I don't like being crouded when cleaning up. I figure the wife will like the room too as she does her thing and it IS more private with that section shut off from the front room.

I have a 22' Safari that my wife refers to as the "mobile boar's nest"! It has the rear bath etc. but still leaves a lot to be desired but does okay for one person.

These are MY opinions, you mix and match the way YOU want! Fog
lundfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I moved from a 36 ft classA, to a 28 ft. Excella with split center bath. Being single, I converted the passenger side bed to a workspace/desk and the drivers side wardrobe into a pantry.

I really enjoy the layout.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
L-couches

Our favorite floor plan feature of our 31' is the front L-couch. It's immensely comfortable and can't be beat for watching movies on rainy days or at night with the Vista Views open. It also leaves a great deal of floor space for our Labs and a dog crate. The gaucho in our Tradewind doesn't feel nearly as accommodating. It's nice to see a rebirth of sorts of the L-couch as an alternative in some of the new models, including the 23'-28' Safaris and CCDs.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've gone from the mid twin/rear bath in a 31' to a full corner bed/mid bath. The change was for the better because the shower gave me more room even though the entire bath/shower area is a little smaller than the rear bath. I have been in several split bath/rear bedroom trailers and I really like them. The shower seemed to have plenty of room (no tub like the rear bath) and the toilet/sink area across the hall seemed to be a little bigger than that in my mid bath. If my 25' had a split bath, I would be in hog heaven with what I think would be the perfect 25' coach.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote