Old 05-08-2004, 10:43 AM   #1

Question Beginner question on value of shower/toilet

Hello all, I am new to this list. My wife and I have recently purchased a 1964 Bambi II. I don't think it has much original in it except the skin and smell! Water tank, heater, water heater, are gone, and an attempt was made to build new cabinets which did not work out too well. It has some patches on the outside but seems to be in good condition.

We are thinking that we start all over with this little jewel, and are pondering this basic question - why would a bathroom/shower be all that important? seems to just add a lot of cost and complication, and potential for moisture problems, etc. I assume the basic issue of resale inpact but other than that and assuming we are not "restoring" the camper, what is the downside since most campgrounds have some basic amentities.

Thanks, David Hyatt in Arkansas

Old 05-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Worse case scenario:

3:00 AM and your hot tamale dinner has created a the urgent need for a trip to the loo. You are camping in a nice campground but the building is 500 yards from your trailer, and it is raining.......... Not to mention you have to get dressed, etc.

There is also the situation that not all campground facilities are created equal. I have stayed in some where the show and bathrooms were nicer than the ones in my home. Others make you wonder if you were cleaner before you got in the shower?

Yes it adds complexity. Yes it adds weight, and in your case uses up a fair amount of the coach interior volume. If space is a t a premium you may want to look at creating a wet bath that is a shower/toilet room all in one. No real need for a second sink in a Bambi, you can use the one in the kitchen.

If it were me, I would include a bathroom in the rebuild. But I like having MY bathroom.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
100% of what Brett said, with emphasis on the varying condition of public restroom/shower facilities. If you watch in rest areas a lot of owners never use the public facilities. In addition boondocking and any overnight stops (Walmart, etc.) would be out.

John
Old 05-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyatt
Hello all, I am new to this list. My wife and I have recently purchased a 1964 Bambi II. I don't think it has much original in it except the skin and smell! Water tank, heater, water heater, are gone, and an attempt was made to build new cabinets which did not work out too well. It has some patches on the outside but seems to be in good condition.

We are thinking that we start all over with this little jewel, and are pondering this basic question - why would a bathroom/shower be all that important? seems to just add a lot of cost and complication, and potential for moisture problems, etc. I assume the basic issue of resale inpact but other than that and assuming we are not "restoring" the camper, what is the downside since most campgrounds have some basic amentities. David Hyatt in Arkansas

Dave

It seems that by your question of "why the bathroom" shows you are a young with visions of greatness within.
We have often pondered the need for a shower, because most camps offer those amenities. You can get by without it for awhile, however, your ever ripening body will drive others to throw you in to the nearest body of water at sometime. You might considerer installing an outdoor shower, that could work for you.
The toilet is a must have for use aging boomers. There is nothing better than not having to hike to the head in the middle of the night. Keep the facilities. My wife just asked if you have talked this question out with your boss?
As for restoring the trailer, go for it, read the archives, and most importantly ask questions. What you are planning to do, has been done before. There is a vast wealth of restoration knowledge on this forum.
Good luck.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I basically consider my trailer a restroom on wheels - and hey, you can cook and sleep in it too! I LOVE that while we're on our way somewhere we can just pull into a rest stop, use the bathroom in the trailer, grab something cold and kick back at the table for a few minutes. So much nicer than trips without the trailer, looking for a place that might have a decent restroom, seeing how clean it is, trying somewhere else. I agree, have you discussed this with your wife? Maybe she's not as squeemish as I am, but nice bathroom facilities certainly take some of the stress out of a road trip for me!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #6

Red face Thanks for advice

Just reflecting on why it might be an issue from the subconsious (and yes there was tentative spousal approval). Some quite a few years ago I was living happily in the Arkansas backwoods. One day my sister came to visit from a land far away and noticed I had no facilities nor running water. It was a long drive to town for her. Some time later, when she returned home, she sent me a check for a water well. Once I had drilled the well, I was compelled to add one convenience after another, a sick, a shower, and finally a toilet, making many trips to the bank. Adding these conveniences of course then required electricity. Before long I found myself hopelessly trapped in the rat race never to emerge.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, you must have been way back in the woods to get away with that. One problem with that concept and trailers is that any campground you go to you can't even let your sink water drip on the ground. Same in national forests, if they catch you. So you'll probably want some kind of water tank in there, and then you'll need a catch tank of some sort. Like you said, then one thing leads to another and pretty soon you have the whole kit-n-kaboodle! Of course, it really is pretty nice to be self contained, and know you can pull off the road anywhere and have everything at your fingertips.

Recently there has been a thread here about an artist and his Zen trailer. He handled bathroom facilities with a port-a-pottie in a cupboard. I have to think that would hurt the resale value for all but the most devoted outdoorsy types!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote