Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
White Stone , Virginia
Bed Slides

I'm finding a lot of questions in the forum, but no answer: What hardware do I use to slide a bed out? I want to be able to slide a double bed into an upright sofa during the day. I was thinking about a futon frame, but there has to be something less obtrusive.
Kate Serrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
Our 85 Sovereign has two double beds that fold into a sofa. One in the front and one midway. We wish that one was a queen. The back of the sofa pulls forward and flips around and down infront of the seat making a double.
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Use wood table slides. You can get them at woodwork specilty stores. They will be to long, so just cut them down.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Which version of the Overlander do you have. They came in two styles, Twin and Double. The Double is like Texas Gal 61 has with the two fold out beds. On in front and one midships. The Twin has the two single beds midships and the fold out bed in the front. The center beds do not fold. If the front couch is still in the trailer you should be able to see how it works.
If not, the gauchos, as they are sometimes referred to, has table top extension slides under the bench part of the sofa that pull out to the stop. There was an extra piece of plywood under the bench cushion cut to fill the gap, the backrest cushion was laid down flat making a narrow, short double bed.
The table top slides are available from woodworkers stores such as Rockler and the construction is a fairly simple project.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote