Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Bathroom Door

We are restoring a 65 safari. We have most the cabinets complete. We really don't like the old accordian door? Has anyone installed something different than the original accordian door into the bathroom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00308.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	155802  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
The cabinets look fantastic!!! Did you have to sand and re-stain them? They look wonderful! As for the door, our 67 has a pocket door which works well....
bbqmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Nothing else works very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPierre View Post
We are restoring a 65 safari. We have most the cabinets complete. We really don't like the old accordian door? Has anyone installed something different than the original accordian door into the bathroom?
Of my many years of working on Airstream units I was asked many times by customers the very thing you asked. We/I never could find a thing that would work, because of space. A swinging door always bummed into something or was swinging in the way of something. A sliding door (like between cabinets) called for some major reworks on moving those cabinets. Airstream has some accordion doors that you can get via an Airstream dealer but unless live close to a dealer who stocks it, so you can hold it up to see if it will work, you may be in for freight both ways. Once when it comes to you, and once when it goes back. Stagg Parkway, an RV distributor that most RV dealers can buy from, has an made to order accordion door, that I had more luck with than anything. It takes awhile to get because it has to be made. It is a heavy cloth style and comes in a few colors.
If you do find something else other than accordion door, it would be a great bit of info to share.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
BBQMAMA, I had taken every cabinet out of the trailer to replace the floor. We have rebuilt, reveneered, patched and refinished all cabinets as needed. We stained the new veneer with Howard Restor -a- Finish Mahogany as a first coat, and then when dry applied Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany. On the original cabinets we used the Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany. The Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany seems to match the original finish pretty well.

Can you post a picture of your door?

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPierre
BBQMAMA, I had taken every cabinet out of the trailer to replace the floor. We have rebuilt, reveneered, patched and refinished all cabinets as needed. We stained the new veneer with Howard Restor -a- Finish Mahogany as a first coat, and then when dry applied Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany. On the original cabinets we used the Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany. The Watco Danish Oil - Red Mahogany seems to match the original finish pretty well.

Can you post a picture of your door?

Thanks,

Wow... Now that's dedication. All the time and effort paid off, though.... It looks stellar! I didn't have to replace the floor I our 67 but did re-do the cabinets (sanded, stained and then did a coat of poly). No small effort.... I really like how yours turned out - the dark red tint looks so rich and warm!

Here are a couple pics of the pocket door for you (note: I redid it with new laminate, not original covering)..... Hope they help - if I need to take better ones let me know, will use my camera (vs iPad).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1964586527.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	156086   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1825052460.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	156087  

Name:	image-2477492071.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	156088   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2425534912.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	156089  

Name:	image-2484506682.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	156090  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Thanks for the pics. The cabinets/door look really nice. We will have to analyze our space to see if a pocket door will fit in the Safari. It looks like you have a bit more room than we do.

The restore is a lot of work, but really worth it. We can't wait to have it all finished and take our first trip.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I was unable to salvage the accordion doors in my Safari. I replaced them with fabric and used the existing accordion track with new sliders for the fabric. Works easily, is light weight, and ties to either side. After 5 years I still like them.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for the pics. The cabinets/door look really nice. We will have to analyze our space to see if a pocket door will fit in the Safari. It looks like you have a bit more room than we do.

The restore is a lot of work, but really worth it. We can't wait to have it all finished and take our first trip.

We took our maiden voyage over Easter weekend! Oh my what a feeling it was. We were so happy to actually be able to do it as 40 miles in one of the brand new tires we had put on the trailer (affectionately known as Loretta) blew! And we didn't have a spare. Thankfully I had signed up for AAA the day before.... And a pal had an old spare that fit on the side of his house (weren't sure it hold but drove back to pick it up just in case). It saved the weekend! Ended up camping that night (albeit arriving much later than expected) and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Can't say I'd trade it for a smoother trip either - its def going to be one of those trips we'll be talking about for years to come.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
I was unable to salvage the accordion doors in my Safari. I replaced them with fabric and used the existing accordion track with new sliders for the fabric. Works easily, is light weight, and ties to either side. After 5 years I still like them.
Sam

One thing I'll mention, when I was redoing the pocket door... The door itself is actually just a frame of 2x1, sandwiched between 2 pieces of laminate with cardboard honeycomb inside for strength (although I didn't put that back in when I redid the laminate as the cost to ship it was prohibitive). So it's fairly light (perhaps not as much as fabric)...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
houston , Texas
Door solution

I made double doors out of 3/4 " birch.when you close them,they interlock and appear to be one door. Being that I have a globetrotter,there is one issue. When the side sofa is pulled out,only one door will open but besides that ,we love them
jcb466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb466
I made double doors out of 3/4 " birch.when you close them,they interlock and appear to be one door. Being that I have a globetrotter,there is one issue. When the side sofa is pulled out,only one door will open but besides that ,we love them
I bet they look fantastic...
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Rivet

Finished the new bathroom door tonight. My wife really liked the idea of a door. We couldn't do the pocket door in our Safari because we had alreay redone the bathroom cabinets and did not want to remake them again. We came up with the two side panels and the door in the center. It opens into the bathroom. With more than enough room to enter and close the door.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
houston , Texas
That looks great!i love the idea y'all came up with.great job!
jcb466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Finished the new bathroom door tonight. My wife really liked the idea of a door. We couldn't do the pocket door in our Safari because we had alreay redone the bathroom cabinets and did not want to remake them again. We came up with the two side panels and the door in the center. It opens into the bathroom. With more than enough room to enter and close the door.

Wow, those look gorgeous! Excellent job! Love your design!