Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
...and so the adventure begins

Hello all; ...new to the Forum, taking delivery of our Excella 500 on Tuesday, and she's given me one year to redo the interior and all the systems! I have not tested anything inside, but if anyone is interested in what seems to be the original stove, refrigerator bath fittings(rear bath) etc, you are welcome to them!
.....wish me luck!
tikiman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
one year to redo the interior and all the systems!
Cancel the cable TV and high-speed internet, go back to dial-up and have only two bookmarks.. the weather forecast and airforums.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
Cancel the cable TV and high-speed internet, go back to dial-up and have only two bookmarks.. the weather forecast and airforums.
Totally doable. I did a shell off in a month and a half. And then was able to use it for a 3 week trip. Had no cabinet doors and not all the trim in but hey. You can't have everything. Now I'm starting to work on that stuff. Wife gave me till 3 rd week in October when we head to Zion NP. Good luck.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Take time to post pictures, we want pictures!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
...Put her in a comfortable, protected spot between two shipping containers, and went to work! My wife, as it turns out, is a rivet destroying machine. We got much of the aft furnishings out - left the bathroom for tomorrow. The amount of mouse droppings is incredible, and I vow to erase all trace of them! Pulled out the oven and it seems in good shape if anyone in the region has a use for it. Off to Home Depot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	167470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	167471  

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
just double checking....any progress?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Back in the saddle

.....taking advantage of the September weather and breezes to get out the toxic chemicals and go to work! Thank you to all who have gone before us and shared their product discoveries on various threads regarding stripping vinyl from interior skins! We picked up a couple gallons of KleenStrip Premium (Jasco was not available locally) and so far so good - but make no mistake about it; you cannot protect your body too much!! We started out wearing goggles and chem resist gloves, and rapidly progressed to chem suits, a baseball hat, and a paper kerchief to guard from napalm-like spatters!!(see photo below) We are fortunate to be in an open field with ocean breezes, so there was no discernible odor, but all you need is one blob of stripper dripping off the ceiling onto the back of your neck to get your attention. The KleenStrip works great, although it took as many as four applications in some areas to release. As previously mentioned, it comes off like a thick latex balloon, and is so satisfying! Two of us did 3/4 of the 31 ft in about 10 man hours. So far we have used 3 gallons of stripper and a lot of shop towels. Obviously, there will be a lot of touch-up work after the rivets and overlap comes off, but it feels gratifying to make such visual progress in one day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	168596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	168597  

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	168598  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Looks like you are removing the interior coating. Do you know if this is the same plastic coating on a 1973? Soon to start putting the interior panels back in and have gone back and forth on the interior panels. I've cleaned with Simply Green and thought about Andy's floor wax polish. Right now panels are removed and stacked in corner of shop so stripping would be easier than what you are tackling. Would like to paint something other than beige. Actually like raw aluminum look.

Keep up good work - dennis
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
wow...that's some progress, are you guys painting the interior or will polish it?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Just found this post, we are neighbors!
You are obviously not fooling around with this project. Looks like fun.
Keep the pictures and reports coming we all live vicariously here!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet
wow...that's some progress, are you guys painting the interior or will polish it?
......the plan is to get all of the residue off, remove the panels, take her down to nothing but ribs and skin! Sounds easy, right!? In about two years, we'll probably spray the walls, along with the casework, a low luster white. That's the plan, anyway. subject to change.

Name:	image-2949050059.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	675.7 KB
ID:	169020

...where we are right now - took the headliner down to remove the last trace of vinyl. After pulling out the insulation, there is some left because of the adhesive used. Does anyone have experience removing the fiberglass that is stuck on the wall cavity? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Victoria , Texas
It looks like you have a great project. Keep the pictures coming, it is a motivation for us new to airstreams.
tinyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman57 View Post
......the plan is to get all of the residue off, remove the panels, take her down to nothing but ribs and skin! Sounds easy, right!? In about two years, we'll probably spray the walls, along with the casework, a low luster white. That's the plan, anyway. subject to change.

...where we are right now - took the headliner down to remove the last trace of vinyl. After pulling out the insulation, there is some left because of the adhesive used. Does anyone have experience removing the fiberglass that is stuck on the wall cavity? Thanks!
Just curious, why are you removing the panels down to the ribs and skin. Are you going to put them back up at some point.

Don
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman57 View Post

Attachment 169020

nice progress! we saw a couple of threads that they used stripper again to remove the fiberglass left over and after steam cleaning! It did look good and totally sanitized!
keep the pics coming, btw any tricks to remove the headliner?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh

Just curious, why are you removing the panels down to the ribs and skin. Are you going to put them back up at some point.

Don
......we are removing any and all organic materials - it sat in a field for a year, and the mice took over. The smell right now is not pleasant! New subfloor, insulation, etc the trailer will spend much of its life in Florida, so it will be important to incorporate as many inert materials as possible.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
nice progress! we saw a couple of threads that they used stripper again to remove the fiberglass left over and after steam cleaning! It did look good and totally sanitized!
.....after I removed the dozen or so rivets in random locations, I grasped the edge of the fan hole, and pulled straight down, til one edge pulled out of the T-trim. I moved down the line and repeated until one whole side was out. at this point, it would be best to have a helper, as you pull out the other side. I did not, and the 25 ft piece came crashing down. luckily, it only suffered a minor kink.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
.....as it turns out, the leftover fiberglass stuck on the walls was not as big an issue as expected! I used a textured rubber glove to brush off the majority of it; just a moderate amount of pressure with the palm, and 90 percent of it wipes off the wall. I will try Goof-Off, and then the steam cleaning, as suggested. all we have left of the walls is the rear cap over the bath area. We have moved ahead much faster than expected - more time for beer.

Name:	image-1653488728.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	169360

Oh what a relief it is!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3319138426.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	570.8 KB
ID:	169355   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1990750291.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	712.2 KB
ID:	169361  

Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
wow....that is a clean interior!
wondering what kind of insulation are you going with?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
wow....that is a clean interior!
wondering what kind of insulation are you going with?

.....we were happy with how clean the residual insulation came off without the help of chemicals! I think a steam cleaning will complete the job! any one have any experience with doing that? As far as new insulation goes, with all the threads regarding this out there, it seems like it's between Prodex or spray-on foam. I am open to thoughts and experience, particularly as it relates to the southern climate the AS will be hanging out in.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
newport , Rhode Island
.....we're getting to the fun part, if you consider doing a full monty in winter in an open field in New England fun, that is. We've started cutting off the bolts in the c-channel, this weekend I am going to do a template of the inner floor shape before we put bracing on. Maybe that is overkill, but my confidence level is not overflowing - this is my first man-on-metal experience! As I pulled the last of the skins off, it is apparent that there was some kind of trauma, gradual or otherwise, inflicted on the rear bath area. The vertical alum. members on either side of the window were seperated from the c-channel by 3/4 inch (see photo), and the whole rear section of c-channel dips as it makes its way around the back! I humbly solicit remedial advice! Can the channel be forced back into line? Does it have to be remade?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	170642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	170643  

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg