Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

SLO , California
Cool Airstream noob wants advice

I have hopes of converting to a full time airstream lifestyle upon college graduation. I have done research here on the forums but now need to start getting more specific help and points in the right direction for my case.

The airstream I purchase I want to be in good condition on the outside wih no major tears or dents. The underbelly and floor should be intact and not rotted out.

The inside can be pretty thrashed as I hope to gut and redo everything in the trailer.

I will be living in it parked but do have dreams of boondocking. Solar panel installation is something I could see myself investing in in the future after the whole rig is moreso completed.

I haven't narrowed down to a specific trailer yet. Im a 6 foot 5 inch guy so I'm thinking a rear bedroom configuration would be best and am thinking a 28' or 31' model would suit me best.

I will be plugged in most of the time, but would like the option of using my powered device while I'm not plugged in. I am willing to upgrade the electric and bAttery systems to allow for this.

Things that need power in my trailer would be:
Interior lighting
Microwave
Refrigerator/freezer
Stove top
Computer
Xbox
Flatscreen tv
Along with extra plug outlets for things lime phone chargers and coffee makers, etc.

I guess now my main questions are:*

I'm pretty confused by the electrical systems. Are their walkthroughs online of anyone redoing all their electrical and battery systems?

I guess right now I know I have alot ahead of me. I'm looking for things to look out for and stuff to take into account.*

I hope this is not too vague. I appreciate anyone's comments or links they can provide. Thank you.*
gitrokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
gitrokr,

Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com! You came to the right place to ask questions about anything airstream-related.

I have one more thing for you to consider adding to your list:
  • where will local ordnances allow me to plug in and connect to power, water, and sewage legally?

Good luck with your project!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would look 19footer

Then you can pull it around without to much hassle. Who wants to be stuck with 31footer unless you are leaving it in one spot for long time. Make sure you bank account is flush these babies are not cheap. Your post is very vauge what years and budget are you looking at. I prefer newer stuff $25k to $35k should get you used one. Resale is hotter than pistol on bambis. You also need tow vehicle. I do not think poster wants project but place to use asap.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The original post is from June 2011...

What's your current status, gitrokr?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
San Angelo , Texas
Welcome to the group.. I just finished a 1966 30' Airstream Sovergen. I took OUT all propane. Replaced with total electric. 22 Gal Hot water Heater, Microwave/Convection Oven, Heating is portable Elect heaters,and they heat up the space very nicely. cook top are two burner elect hot plates, (we mostly cook outdoors) but you can find NEW 2 or 3 burner cooktops,4 cubic refridgerator/freezer, wall mounted flat screen TV. most places to park are WiFI these days. so we have phone chargers for our smart phones, CD player. We installed a new breaker box for the new wiring. Our experience is most RV Parks have monthly rates, maybe even yearly rates..I you have a "private lot" or land i'm sure there might be restrictions to consider, check with your city codes officer about those and or your county codes. most county codes are less restrictive. you will love living in your Airsrteam full time.i wish I could.... check out Airstream Life magazine..Good luck and stay in touch so we can see how you are progressing. Sue Meachan
suemeacham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, beginner, guidance, renovation