Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Airstream Has Lost Their Way

I think Airstream has lost their way from their historic construction methods. They used to be known for getting the absolute maximum utilization of space in the units. Now it seems that their effort is to design the trailers so they can be built the quickest. I had a 1996 21' Sovereign and now have a 2007 27'FB Classic Limited. By the name Classic Limited you would think they had every option and the ultimate design details. My old Sovereign had for its day, better use of space, more storage and better construction than my current trailer. For example, there was already a spice rack in my old trailer and I had to build one for my newer trailer. Neither my old unit nor my current had a microwave so I had to add that as well.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are plenty out there with the opinion that AS lost their way back in '63. "Oh the times, they are a changin'."
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would say they lost their their way the day that Thor took them over. Cutting corners any way possible and QC went out the door. That said if I could afford a new Airsteam I would buy one in a minute knowing full well what I would have to deal with. I like the layout and looks of the new trailers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
In one area they seem to have "found" their way. I refer to the appreciation of the beauty of the inside aluminum. I love it that they are not covering it all up with fake wood or fuzzy carpeting like they so often used to.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rich, that is one of the things I like most about the new Airstreams. They are so bright and open looking. Mine is like stepping into a dark cave. Cozy and depressing at the same time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm with you on this one Rich, love the interior aluminum and the overall coordination of materials. The newer exterior finish is a dream to keep if you can keep the corrosion under control. Nice Airstreams but I like them all, especially the polished early models.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I was so sold on the interior aluminum of the newer ones....the wife too...enamored

we are aware of QC issues....I am quite concerned about my new trailer on order for october..but we will stay severely vigilant and get hopefully all kinks worked out....

Its always a good thing though that we demand high quality of airstream...

I am not knowledgeable about quality of various years of airstreams so I could not comment about fluctuations in quality....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

TETO.......'kinda like living in a Dr Pepper can. Notforus.

Bob
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have had about 15 Airstreams and Argosys over the past 35 years. This year I finally decided to buy a new one. It is a 2014 Flying Cloud 20' and one of the very first 2014's off the line, I expect.

The quality is just fine vs. the older ones. A careful inspection of the hidden interior parts has resulted in 3 rivet mandrels and a few scraps of sticky tape. There are a few stupid things like the side vent (with fan) refrigerator, and a plumbing system with so many 90 degree elbos that the water pump has a very hard time supplying the right water pressure, but otherwise no issues.

The frame is a 5" one which is great vs. the lighter ones. Mine has been assembled very well overall.

In short, with lots of experience under my belt with older ones, I can say there is nothing about the new one which I find inferior in quality. Sure, I have some things I would change, but I changed a lot on all my vintage ones too.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I would say they lost their their way the day that Thor took them over. Cutting corners any way possible and QC went out the door. That said if I could afford a new Airsteam I would buy one in a minute knowing full well what I would have to deal with. I like the layout and looks of the new trailers.
Others would say when Beatrice Foods bought them in 1969/70... WTH does a food company know about building travel trailers?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Like so many organisations, Airstream is run by accountants; people who see only the bottom line. Corners are cut and compromises made, all in the name of cost reduction. That said, keeping the company profitable is paramount because with some dividend to Thor and its shareholders, I doubt Airstream would still be around.

We went new partly because we liked the more modern interior design, which is a step away from the traditional wood and carpet style. I know that many prefer the more traditional styling but I think Airstream caters for most tastes.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Others would say when Beatrice Foods bought them in 1969/70... WTH does a food company know about building travel trailers?
Maybe a little if they made canned hams!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post

Maybe a little if they made canned hams!
Beat me to it by 5 minutes!! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Beat me to it by 5 minutes!! :-)
Couldn't resist!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
There are plenty out there with the opinion that AS lost their way back in '63. "Oh the times, they are a changin'."
I am 100% sure that if every new trailer that was ordered today was delivered exactly like a brand new 1963 Airstream, the would be out of business in a few days...

Times have changed....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I think Airstream has lost their way from their historic construction methods. They used to be known for getting the absolute maximum utilization of space in the units. Now it seems that their effort is to design the trailers so they can be built the quickest. I had a 1996 21' Sovereign and now have a 2007 27'FB Classic Limited. By the name Classic Limited you would think they had every option and the ultimate design details. My old Sovereign had for its day, better use of space, more storage and better construction than my current trailer. For example, there was already a spice rack in my old trailer and I had to build one for my newer trailer. Neither my old unit nor my current had a microwave so I had to add that as well.
My Classic has a spice rack just behind the stove. I thought they all did.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I am 100% sure that if every new trailer that was ordered today was delivered exactly like a brand new 1963 Airstream, the would be out of business in a few days...

Times have changed....
I just wish our 03 Classic was delivered new to us in the same condition as our 63 Safari was in 1988.

Sorry but I feel your rong....time stays the same, it's the people who screw it up. Profit rules.

Bob
Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My intention in declaring a loss of way in '63 was simply to go right to the extreme. If You see the loss of way as being when Wally died, or when Beatrice took over, or when Thor took over, any of these opinions neglect the sad reality that 1) people die and 2) had Beatrice and Thor not taken over, Airstream might not even exist as a company today and we would all be camping in 60's vintage trailers and SOBs.

Where design is concerned, some human made a decision. Some folks love the CCD models, some hate the DWR models. To each his own. Where quality is concerned, a Human puts his hand on every component that goes into these trailers. There is actual manufacturing going on in the Airstream plant, it is not just an assembly shop. As a result--you get human error and quality issues that can't just be "tested out."

We live with all of this because we like the trailers. They are not the most waterproof, durable, luxurious, or sometimes even practical--that's just part of the deal. Could they be better? I suppose. I am rebuilding my trailer right now, but sadly, my workmanship errors jump right out to my eye, and the finished design will very likely not have a spice rack, nor perhaps a microwave.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Cave like...

Quote:
Rich, that is one of the things I like most about the new Airstreams. They are so bright and open looking. Mine is like stepping into a dark cave. Cozy and depressing at the same time.
I like my cave with fuzzy walls. That said, I would also like the 'wallpaper' part of the walls to be shiny aluminum. Oh well. Someday, perhaps, after the most uncomfortable sofa in the world is replaced, I'll initiate a renovation in the kitchen/bath area, and make it the way I want it. As far as quality is concerned, while some of the fit and finish with the valance's is questionable, I'm happy with my '99. It was all original when I bought it as a well lived in 11 year old, and still functions well now.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
I would say they lost their their way the day that Thor took them over. .
I could be mistaken, but didn't Airstream create Thor?