Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
There are plenty out there with the opinion that AS lost their way back in '63. "Oh the times, they are a changin'."
I am 100% sure that if every new trailer that was ordered today was delivered exactly like a brand new 1963 Airstream, the would be out of business in a few days...

Times have changed....

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I think Airstream has lost their way from their historic construction methods. They used to be known for getting the absolute maximum utilization of space in the units. Now it seems that their effort is to design the trailers so they can be built the quickest. I had a 1996 21' Sovereign and now have a 2007 27'FB Classic Limited. By the name Classic Limited you would think they had every option and the ultimate design details. My old Sovereign had for its day, better use of space, more storage and better construction than my current trailer. For example, there was already a spice rack in my old trailer and I had to build one for my newer trailer. Neither my old unit nor my current had a microwave so I had to add that as well.
My Classic has a spice rack just behind the stove. I thought they all did.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I am 100% sure that if every new trailer that was ordered today was delivered exactly like a brand new 1963 Airstream, the would be out of business in a few days...

Times have changed....
I just wish our 03 Classic was delivered new to us in the same condition as our 63 Safari was in 1988.

Sorry but I feel your rong....time stays the same, it's the people who screw it up. Profit rules.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My intention in declaring a loss of way in '63 was simply to go right to the extreme. If You see the loss of way as being when Wally died, or when Beatrice took over, or when Thor took over, any of these opinions neglect the sad reality that 1) people die and 2) had Beatrice and Thor not taken over, Airstream might not even exist as a company today and we would all be camping in 60's vintage trailers and SOBs.

Where design is concerned, some human made a decision. Some folks love the CCD models, some hate the DWR models. To each his own. Where quality is concerned, a Human puts his hand on every component that goes into these trailers. There is actual manufacturing going on in the Airstream plant, it is not just an assembly shop. As a result--you get human error and quality issues that can't just be "tested out."

We live with all of this because we like the trailers. They are not the most waterproof, durable, luxurious, or sometimes even practical--that's just part of the deal. Could they be better? I suppose. I am rebuilding my trailer right now, but sadly, my workmanship errors jump right out to my eye, and the finished design will very likely not have a spice rack, nor perhaps a microwave.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Cave like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Rich, that is one of the things I like most about the new Airstreams. They are so bright and open looking. Mine is like stepping into a dark cave. Cozy and depressing at the same time.
I like my cave with fuzzy walls. That said, I would also like the 'wallpaper' part of the walls to be shiny aluminum. Oh well. Someday, perhaps, after the most uncomfortable sofa in the world is replaced, I'll initiate a renovation in the kitchen/bath area, and make it the way I want it. As far as quality is concerned, while some of the fit and finish with the valance's is questionable, I'm happy with my '99. It was all original when I bought it as a well lived in 11 year old, and still functions well now.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
I would say they lost their their way the day that Thor took them over. .
I could be mistaken, but didn't Airstream create Thor?
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thor was created after the two friends purchased Airstream and wanted to expand in the RV industry. I believe the four letters are those two people's initials.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I am trying to attach some pictures of the mods I have made to my trailer but they all say invalid file when I try to upload them. They are about 57KB each and are JPEG files. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or what I might try to find out?
Thanks
Ron
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Booneville , Mississippi
I agree!!

Quote:
Rich, that is one of the things I like most about the new Airstreams. They are so bright and open looking. Mine is like stepping into a dark cave. Cozy and depressing at the same time.
I just bought a 1978 Sovereign and the interior was in really good shape...but we have spent most of our time trying to add light to this long, dark, aluminum tunnel! LOL
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Something for Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
I like my cave with fuzzy walls. That said, I would also like the 'wallpaper' part of the walls to be shiny aluminum. Oh well. Someday, perhaps, after the most uncomfortable sofa in the world is replaced, I'll initiate a renovation in the kitchen/bath area, and make it the way I want it. As far as quality is concerned, while some of the fit and finish with the valance's is questionable, I'm happy with my '99. It was all original when I bought it as a well lived in 11 year old, and still functions well now.
As some have mentioned, the joy of the Airstream family and history IS the wide variety combined with the handmade-in-America mystique. We, too, like our dark wood and fuzzy walls. We looked around for quite a while before we found "our" dream Airstream, well cared for by the P.O. We admire diversity in interior decorating styles. That's why we enjoy The Canopener every year so much.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Hey, there's nothing wrong with different tastes. But the aluminum is what makes Streams different. I like to see that same look when I step inside. But to each their own. I don't mind the wood look on the partitions. The light "wood" contrasts nicely against the aluminum in my Sport. Too bad it isn't real wood though. But I am glad they use decent plywood instead of OSB. Maybe I should peel off the fake coating. I wonder if anyone has done that with the newer Streams.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Thor was created after the two friends purchased Airstream and wanted to expand in the RV industry. I believe the four letters are those two people's initials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
I could be mistaken, but didn't Airstream create Thor?
Yes and yes, in 1980, they then started acquiring other brands. Thor actually has a decent business plan compared to Fleetwood. If your brand gets taken over by Fleetwood it is just a matter of time before it will be gone. Thor manages to maintain brand identity.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I am trying to attach some pictures of the mods I have made to my trailer but they all say invalid file when I try to upload them. They are about 57KB each and are JPEG files. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or what I might try to find out?
Thanks
Ron
Try using TinyPic.....if that works try contacting a Mod....or not.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile feathebedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Wasn't Thor tool co. factory in Aurora Il. a copy rite name? They made some fine electric tools. Bill