Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Petoskey , Michigan
A newbie!

Greetings! I just acquired my great grandparent's 22' '67 Safari and I'm so eager to get it back in fighting form so that our family can enjoy it once more. I have a few pictures of it and really, I just want some advice on where to start. I am concerned about the subfloor (particularly in the back bathroom).

Ideally I would remove everything from the inside, take it down to its shell, replace the insulation, etc. however, I don't have a huge budget. The bathroom looks like the biggest headache and I'm not sure how to go about fixing he subfloor underneath. I am also concerned about taking the components out and them not fitting accurately once I put them back in. I am also contemplating giving it a new look, including a new configuration and some modern touches, which might not require that everything go back in as it was. I would appreciate any insight and advice! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	297572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5961.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	297573  

Name:	IMG_5962.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	297574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5963.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	297576  

IschML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

My thoughts:

Go to the "Portal" page, scroll down and look on the right hand side for an interface to help you find trailer inspectors and the "Trailer Inspector's checklist." Download the checklist and use it to thoroughly go through your trailer so that you have an idea of what all needs to be fixed to get it back in serviceable condition.

Next, ask yourself this question: Do I want to spend my time (many, many months) working on a trailer, or camping in it?

If the answer is "working on the trailer," then great, roll up your sleeves. Just realize that your statement about your budget is inconsistent with a complete rebuild of a trailer. These projects are usually expensive and time consuming.

If the answwer is "going camping," then you want to repair what needs to be repaired, and not turn this into a multi-year project. If your rear floor is extensively rotted, then your frame will probably also be damaged. You will likely have to remove the bathroom components in order to even get at the floor and patch it. Get good and educated as to what you are up against before you dig in. I have seen many gutted trailers for sale that result from someone who gets their expecations calibrated by the size of the project.

Reconfiguring a trailer is not as simple as you think. Windows get in your way, and there are many penatrations in the shell specific to some appliance (ie., the refrigerator has a chimney, the furnace has exhaust, the water heater exhausts, etc.). When you see how every aspect of the trailer is integrated together, you will understand that dramatically changing the floor layout is major surgery, not just a design choice. Again, this just makes the project take longer and cost more.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Petoskey , Michigan
Great advice!

Thank you so much for your insight. That seems to best fit what my gut is telling me. I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful updates that I can do without a full renovation. Then maybe down the road there will be an opportunity to do more. I will use that checklist and see what I find when going through it!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the trailerhood. We have a California 66 Safari. What’s funny is ours has the same color scheme as yours. We did gut ours and rebuild. But i’m retired so had the time. When we gutted ours I was also concerned with getting everything to fit back. After we reinstalled the interior skin, I could tell the location of the bulkheads by the rivet holes. All the head lockers came off the bulk heads. The tub/sink combo is another challenge. We removed it and finally figured out how to get it out of the trailer. Only one way, upside down and backwards. But keep in mind that these trailers were built from the rear forward. Let me know if the Walter of Wabash gaucho slides are still in working order. If not, there’s an easy way to make them. At the end of the day, you’re still going to have to detach the tub and raise it enough to repair the floor. Good luck and lean on the the experienced forum group for answers. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Petoskey , Michigan
Thank you! I actually realized that it is a '66! Makes sense that they are in the same color scheme, then! That information was very helpful! I think that since we don't have a timeline and want to do it right, we might just gut it and try and salvage/restore as much as possible and build what else we need to to fit. I will be referring other more knowledgeable people every step of the way!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IschML View Post
Thank you! I actually realized that it is a '66! Makes sense that they are in the same color scheme, then! That information was very helpful! I think that since we don't have a timeline and want to do it right, we might just gut it and try and salvage/restore as much as possible and build what else we need to to fit. I will be referring other more knowledgeable people every step of the way!
I thought yours looked awfully familiar. After going through the rebuild, it’s simpler than you think. Everything fits. All cabinets, gauchos etc were built in custom form outside the trailer and moved inside to be anchored. You may want to consider repairing the rear floor rot and making it campable. I would be interested in knowing the serial number. I know it’s California, but not the sequencing in production. There were a few items that were subpar in the production. I’m interested in your rebuild. If you want to see pictures of it’s twin, go to ‘Tale of a 55 FC Whale Tale Reno’. At the beginning of the thread I have some pictures of our 66. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck, Bubba
Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Petoskey , Michigan
That is great! I will check yours out! I will also keep you updated on our Reno (maybe over the course of several years &#128514. Here is a picture of the outside. Maybe that will tell you something about our airstream??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	297649  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Your VIN should read something like ours;
SO226092 - this ours
S-Made in Cali
O-Overlander
22-Length
6-Year (1966)
092-Under 500 is a twin and the production sequence.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Congrats! What a wonderful way to enter Airstreaming - with a family trailer!
Your floor tiles look to be 9 inch square - if they are, consider them to be asbestos. You can take them out yourself using a mask, wetting them down before you pry them up, and taking care to break as little as possible off them as you work. They don't need remediation any more (according to all the DIY shows I watch, anyway). We did that in a hallway in our house, and haven't died yet.
You can replace just the bathroom floor if needed - take pictures of everything as is, and as you take it apart, label, label, label.
We found pictures very valuable as we worked on our trailer, and still go back to them sometimes when we need to remember how something is put in. We did reconfigure our bathroom, but we did a full gut on our trailer so that made it easier to do as we moved a doorway, put in all new plumbing, etc. If you reconfigure your bathroom, plumbing might be your worst nightmare. Keeping the toilet where it is would be a good idea if you can.
Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I believe you will find that your trailer came out before gray water tanks were the norm. A gray water tank captures the output of the sinks and showers. You ultimately dump it at a dump station the same way you do black water. "Back in the day" we did things a bit differently. If you camp at locations with sewer hookups, it's not a problem. If you head out campgrounds with no sewer hookups, they will not be happy with the way you are set up....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
IschML

Congrats on your 66 Safari family Airstream. Glad to hear how excited you are and want to resurrect it for lots of camping.

Yours appears to be in pretty good shape. I would get educated, you have already started that process, clean it and determine what needs to be repaired, complete the repairs and go camping.

I bought our 66 Tradewind 7 years ago. It was camp ready for the most part, so we have camped in it for the past 7 years while making improvements. During this time, it probably needs axles, the gray water tank leaked some and the rear floor was rotted.

I took it off the road in May to complete all the rear end and lower end repairs and improvements. I am now finished except for the installation of the disc brake lines and hydraulic pump. It is documented in the trailer section- Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements.

Although not a full Monty, I hope that the work that I have done on my Tradewind will allow it to be around for the next 52 years.

We are glad to have you with us. The 66 Safari is an amazing Airstream, one of the best that Airstream has produced.

PM me sometime if you like.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Petoskey , Michigan
Thank you, all, for the wonderful advice! I will keep it all in mind as we move forward! This forum is just so full of knowledge!