Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

1994 34' Limited
houston , Texas
'94 Classic Headliner fix?

This is my first post! A few years ago I bought a '94 Airstream Classic, 34 feet, and as I have read is very common for 90's models, the headliner was already falling down, but it didn't really bother me then. I just loved the trailer, was okay with the price. It has fallen down considerably more, and where the living room meets the kitchen it is just loose, flapping down. Basically only connected at the ceiling light. It's just unsightly, but seemingly very costly to have repaired by someone.

I had an idea a while back though, while stuggling to think of what i could do to reattach it. Due to the complete separation from the ceiling, it would really have to be stretched and reconnected to the strip where it originally was, i don't think the covered buttons would do it...

I thought about how a disco ball is round, and thought about taking the whole liner out, stripping it, and putting mirrored tiles up in it's place.

I have toyed with the idea for a couple months, they can be adhered in strips:

Mirror Tiles

I thought I would use my vacation trying to put these up in the living room. Maybe in the bathroom and bedroom. Maybe even the dining room table?

Questions:
1) does anyone know why this would be a bad idea? Resale value? (i thought i would just redecorate the whole interior to go with the mirror tiles, but if you scroll down, they also have brushed aluminum ones, so maybe those would be less obnoxious to a future buyer?
2) would this affect the home's insulation? under the headliner, there is something that looks like space age bubble wrap that I am thinking is probably insulation of a sort, or maybe it is just padding for a soft headliner? Could i keep that in and just tile over it?
3) would it be better to just buy new upholstery cloth and use the covered buttons to tack new cloth up to match the interior and keep the padding?
4) has anyone ever tried doing mirror tiles? Is this a silly idea?
5) Would weight of the tiles be an issue?
6) any other suggestions for redoing the headliner that anyone ever wanted to try? I am brave and will give feedback if i try another approach instead.
amandaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
I have this same problem. We took down our headliner in the bedroom when we started the remodel there, and you basically have the aluminum skins back there. After a few days of scraping to get all the glue off, we compounded the metal, and its got a nice reflective quality to it. Might give you a similar affect as the disco mirror, without adding all the little mirrors. We left the carpet on the walls (mouse fur?).

Our plan is to remove the rest of the headliner as we remodel the rest of the RV. As you pointed out, to replace the headliner is costly. Would love to hear other people's ideas for how they have fixed this problem, or what they have installed on their ceilings.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Buttons sound good and are practical. Metal Pan head screws with dimpled washers or sanded and sealed longitudinal wood strips...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Mine was repaired with buttons.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
Here's a post in an old thread about fixing the ceiling with buttons.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ml#post1656932
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Lubbock , Texas
Ceiling Fix

I have a 95 and have done a lot of research on this as there just doesn't seem to be any good solutions that work and look good. I have fixed mine and it looks great, works and is inexpensive, without disturbing or removing the vinyl ceiling material. I took some photos of the ceiling and would like to send them to you but couldn't figure out how to do it. I do know how to add photos to my yahoo email. I would be happy to help you if after you see the photos and are interested in how I did the job. I am in Lubbock. My email is gljeter@yahoo.com

Gary
GARYBO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We have a '96 34'er it had the same problem. The PO had already used self tapping sheet metal screw with the white cover that snaps in place over them. We think it looks fine, and a lot of people think it came from the factory that way.

If I ever have to redo it, I'll make some thin strips of red oak, about 1/4" thick,and 1 3/4 wide, stain them to match the cabinets that would go the width of the coach. Screw them in place with stainless steel screws. I think if these were installed about 12 to 18" apart, it would give a pleasing appearance.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
On my 95 Excella same problem. My solution was to use thin 1/16 X 1 X 72" aluminum strips attached with self tapping screws. Strips from hardware store came pre drilled about every 10 in , countersunk already and with screws Was quick and simple fix that looks like it belongs . One person can do it and only takes a couple minutes per strip
gmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Clearwater , Florida
I wooden strips instead of aluminum and painted them to match the headliner on my 95 Excella. Looked great!
manseyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
i used the same approach but used pvc strips which can be bought in the box stores. they can be painted and are much more flexible than wood strips. i divided the ceiling in quadrents and used short pieces to takes the sag out between the cross pieces. i counter bored the holes ans used metal stud screws
they have a washered head and are self drilling. they are very easy to work with and cheap.
mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My take on the subject is it costly for another to do the work but I have replaced the surface attached materials myself at a very reasonable cost. The key was finding an acceptable replacement material at a bargain price. The process itself is not difficult but requires patience and a second set of hands.

Outlets like Wholesale Fabric Suppliers | Modern Upholstery Fabric - Toto Fabrics run monthly sales on already discounted fabrics. Get a sample before committing so you have the color and material backing necessary, then buy sufficient yardage. Depending on trailer length you will need upwards of 20 or 30 yards.

I used landau cement from the auto industry (formulated for high temp use the aluminum exterior generates) and worked small sections until complete. You won't be able to put up whole sheets at a time without wrinkles so work in 6-10 sq. ft. or smaller increments.

Here are a few pictures I posted of the wall treatment I installed using ultra-leather (the process is the same for the ceiling) - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/r...ml#post1699475
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
I bought a 96 Excella a couple of years ago. The headliner was sagging in all places. I knew it couldn't be reglued. I checked at an upholstery shop to get a quote. Lucky for me he never got back to me. I was thinking of options when the wife says to just take it all down. Of course I thought how can that be original. After much elbow grease I finally got all the adhesive off the ceiling. I now have the aluminum ceiling that looks great. Can always put up a headliner if necessary. The grandchildren decorated the ceiling with glow in the dark stars. At night in bed I look up and see the big dipper. Will always think of their creativity. I didn't remove any cabinets for the ceiling job. I just cut the headliner along the edge. I replace the wall fabric in the front because I had to remove part of the interior skin and the original fabric was filthy. I am very satisified how it all turned out
TimeForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I've heard that the headliner is a significant addition to the measly insulation in the roof, and particularly helps with the radiate heat gain or loss from the inside. Don't know just how much though.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote