Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

1977 31' Sovereign
glendora , California
'77 Sovereign

hi there everyone!!
first i want to say hello as i am new to this forum and indeed new to the concept of being an airstream owner!
although i am just breaking my virginity with airstream i am very familiar with camping and campervans .
i have previously bought and converted two sprinter panel vans into fully fledged campers and many more smaller van conversions over the years to accommodate me and the family on wknds away and surf trips all over europe.
I work n construction and seam to constantly have an ongoing project at home weather it be building fishing boats or converting campers like juggling that with work and two young children isnt enough!!
I moved to the the states 2 years ago from the uk and instantly fell in love with these iconic american trailers and had to have one.
I recently bought a 77 sovereign she is 31 foot and lived her whole life in socal.
I spent quite some time researching before purchasing this one and although the interior is nothing too special i do feel the exterior shell is in good shape and a solid base for my restoration.
anyway i better get to the point before i boar you to death or talk you to sleep!!I want to remove the rear bathroom and headliner ,does anyone know is there an aluminum skin underneath it or will it expose the frame ?? also the lounge area ceiling looks the same can i remove the overhead storage and built in clock area ??
thanks for listening
drifter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Hello and welcome
I've owned a 77 sovereign just like yours and loved it. I can tell you there is no aluminum skin under the interior end caps and if removed you'll expose the ribs and stringers or the main structure/ frame of the shell.
There are many threads here where people have replaced the end caps with aluminum segments to mimic the aluminum end caps of older Airstreams.
You can use the search tab here or google it.
Good luck and feel free to post pictures.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign