Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Long Beach , Washington
'73 Safari Bathroom Questions

And so it begins.......I spent today scrubbing the bathroom in the Safari. I also popped out the blue plastic stripping, unscrewed the shower rod, soap holders, towel bars etc., in preparation for the make-over. Several questions have arisen already. I'd love some input.
1. The closet off the bath has a metal pipe for a rod. The previous owners had Velcro-ed some foam around it, I assume to keep clothes from slipping. Any other ways to improve this rod?
2. Our toilet has a padded lid. I'd like to replace the padding, as the color will not work with the new plan. Has anyone done this successfully? Also, any problems with these old toilets we should know about?
3. I don't want to replace the soap holder in the shower and need to fill the holes. I'm planning to paint the shower stall with an epoxy paint. What should I use to fill the holes?
4. Our shower curtain is a funny shape. It's obviously custome made to fit the shower. It snaps along the wall on one end, then has Velcro to keep it snug on the other end. Was this Velcro system original? Can you buy new shower curtains in this shape?
5. I'd like to put a mini blind at the window. I know you can get them that are secured top and bottom so they don't move, but I'm afraid the handles that you use to open and close the window stick out too far and will interfere with the shade. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
I love all the great information shared here. I promise to share what I learn along the way, too!
Karen and "Poppy"
Airstrm Drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Sometimes these small detail questions are hard to answer, but welcome and good luck.

I filled the holes in my fiberglass with pale yellow acrylic bathroom cault. It matched very well, but may not provide the structure you want to paint over it.

Yes, I believe the velcro was original. That's what I've found in my 75 Sovereign and 77 Safari. I doubt you can buy the uniquely shaped curtain, but you could give the factory a call and see what kind of things they stock--seems like "expendables" like shower curtains would be in demand.

As for hanging you blinds, we'd all like to see your solution. Post photos!

Zep