Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
Red face '50s or '60s style? Help?

Hello, hope I am not driving everyone crazy but I have the Airstream Lovers Sickness, like the rest of you!! Ha.. Ha...

I have a 1959 Tradewind! should remodel back to original? for value?

or do it in a 50's style?

Last year before 60's came out, should I do it in 60's.

What will help with keeping value up?
Rev it UP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Do what ever makes you happy, then enjoy it. I owned the rarest of Chevy pickups, '55' first series three window, much rarer than the more popular 5 window that year. I kept and used it strictly original for 24 years. When I sold it I bought the Wrangler. Now I drill holes and mount stuff on the Wrangler at will. Very liberating and I enjoy the ride. Wish I had done that to the Chevy, make it your own and enjoy it.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If you restore your Airstream and update it or leave original or go cool retro... you will likely put more time and money in it than you will actually be able to get back upon selling. So, be realistic and do what you want! Just do the safety and secure stuff first. Good axles, tires, brakes, solid floor, no leaks, good wiring, water system, etc. Then decorate to your heart's content. It is the "bones" that will hold the value, not the fabric on your cushions. This is just my opinion, of course!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I agree completely with the two above! It is, after all, yours and you should have it decked out in whatever fashion that makes you happy. I have lived in 2 houses that at some point became the next person's house while we were still working on it. It really takes the joy out of living (or travelling) in it when you think about who's going to have it next (and what they may like....).

[My theory with decorating in a given style is that you can use any decade (style) that has come before, as people would have done that in that era- of course it would be weird to see early American primitive in an Eichler... well, have fun anyway!!]

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
This thread can be locked now...

All the above is the best advice.
And all in a row!

Oh...go 30's
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote