Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
1971 Tradewind Renovation Advice

I am a new Airstream owner, having recently purchased a 1971 25' Tradewind Twin. I am in the process of planning the renovation to suit my family of 6 which will include gutting much of the interior and going back with quad bunks.

I'll probably ask specific questions going forward, but for starters I ask what is the one bit of advice you would offer to a new AS owner embarking on a renovation?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
jbwillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Strike Oil in your back yard (you live in Texas so maybe that'll be easy)

. . . I would assess, right away, the condition of the Frame and Plywood Sub Floor. Since it sounds like you're going to "gut it" then I'd be a little "aggressive" on discovering whether or not you have floor rot and where, and how much rust damage the frame has. Once you have a good information on condition you'll better be able to choose the pathway forward.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums.

Can we see photos?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Read, Read, Read, Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwillingham View Post
I am a new Airstream owner, having recently purchased a 1971 25' Tradewind Twin. I am in the process of planning the renovation to suit my family of 6 which will include gutting much of the interior and going back with quad bunks. I'll probably ask specific questions going forward, but for starters I ask what is the one bit of advice you would offer to a new AS owner embarking on a renovation?

BEFORE you even start the clean up read, read, and then read some more of the posts of we who have gone before you!!!

No sense of reinventing the wheel - get a good grasp of the situation and pitfalls that may beset you.

When you think you have everything figured out, you probably don't, then read some more.

Start from the bottom and work up. Get ALL of the underbelly, frame, and running gear worked out prior to starting anything up stairs.

Do not replace the underbelly until you have just about all of the upper work completed - you may need a couple more penetrations in the floor.

Luck, keep us posted with lots of pictures.

There are several rallies during the entire year that (usually) many rebuilt vintage units will be in attendance. Always glad to help a noobie with questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I agree on the photos and was it purchased camp ready? Pictures will help to answer your questions good places to look before breaking out the head lamp and ice pick would be by the door has the floor been patched and what type of flooring is in it currently? The mods will not be difficult to do but checking the foundation is a must and if it needs attention you can save by doing it yourself! Not difficult with the helpful people on the forums. Sounds like you have a nice airstream and welcome to the club!
Cliff
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
A Trade Wind is a nice size for 2 or 3. Six is getting tight. Dinner and bed on a rainy night will be a challenge. Make sure it's the right camper for your family before pouring a ton of money in it. Check out the Scatiro thread on their restoration of a 31 footer. They have a large family too.

Renovate from the bottom up as mentioned before. Seventies trailers are infamous for floor rot and frame rust. You will likely need to add weight for your bunks, so you want a strong undercarriage.

I'm in the midst of a 66 Trade Wind "renovation light" with new axles, belly pan, rear floor rot repair, frame POR15 treated, new floor insulation, new waste water tanks, new bath fixtures, new furnace, new water heater, new plumbing, new stove, new fridge, new floor covering, new mattresses and cushions, new window seals, new exterior lights and a polish job. I'll have a year's wages in it before I'm done. But I enjoy working on these old trailers.

A big project but an enjoyable one.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Quadruple the time you think it will take and triple the money and you will be in the ball park. I'm not kidding. It will take you way more time than you think. Plus, even when you have planned the expenses on the big items, all the trips to ACE and HD add up.

Everything you take out you will have to rebuild, my advice is to use a much of the original interior as you can. I spend 2 years working on my 68 TW before it was camping ready and I used most of the original parts. The less you have to build the sooner you will be camping.
If you have room, keep the original interior parts you remove that are in good shape, someday you or the next owner or a forum member might need them.

Finally, find a mentor if you can. The forums are great and will answer most questions but there is nothing like being able to pick up the phone and talk to someone who has actually done the work on your model year. I met my mentor through the forums and we have become dear friends over the years. One of the best things about my trailer project was all the friends I have made.

Good luck and enjoy the project
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Here is a photo. I will add others later.

Other than new tires and re-packing the bearings, it was camp ready, at least for me and my wife and our 4 young kids. We took it out the first weekend to get a feel for it before we put it in the shop for a three month renovation.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Take lots of pictures as you take it apart, to refer to as you put it back together. Even if you are changing things, you will refer to those pictures more than you would think.
Read, read, read other threads and ask questions. Many of us have been where you are now and are happy to share wisdom. Sometimes you may get more "wisdom" than you bargained for!
Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwillingham View Post
Here is a photo. I will add others later.
The photos didn't make it. Understandable since it's only your second post. It has been a couple of years since my first posts and I forget, but I think you need a few more posts before you'll be allowed to post pictures. Jump on some other threads and put in your two cents' worth, and get that post count up so we can see pictures!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
I was wondering where the photo went. I assumed it was user error on my part since I was trying to get it off my iPhone.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
There is a place of little known origin where photos go and are never seen again! I have many photos there and so do others! So what are we to do? Take and post again til it works!
Cliff
Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Well, when I preview my post it still doesn't show a pic. I'll got to the technical side and see if someone can help me out. Stay tuned.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
have fun with your renovation. When we started our 72 23' safari I told Pam 3 years we are 1 1/2 years into it, I think my 3 year estimate was pretty close.

Time and $$$ is what I need more of.

Lucky for us we have a Lowes and Home depot within 2 miles and an Ace hardware 3 miles away so those trips to get hardware are not to bad.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Here are some basic pics of my Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3328.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	209680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3329.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	209681  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	209682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3327.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	209683  

Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Diagrams

Does anybody know where I can get the schematic diagrams for electrical and plumbing and floor plan for a '71 Tradewind Twin? I've got the owner's manual, but not the diagrams which might have been in a separate document.