Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

1963 26' Overlander
Weedville , Pennsylvania
1963 Overlander - Flooring work

I have the plywood by the entrance door and into/under the refrigerator getting soft and needing replaced. I expect that I should to use marine grade plywood and cut out what needs cut out along the support frame work so I can piece in new plywood. But would prefer to get some more"qualified" opinions. What can anyone share on doing this work?
Steve K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Oh no, you said "marine grade" plywood, I will now stand back out of the way.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend that you go along the entire perimeter of the inside of your trailer and see how many other rotten spots you have. If you are lucky, the ones you have already identified will be the only ones, but you may be in for a surprise. IF it is a big surprise, you may be ahead going for a full floor replacement (ie., shell-off) rather than patching here and there.

At any rate, assuming you are going to go the patching route, then yes, it is nice if you can get the edges of your patches to fall on a support. If you can't don't fret, just add an additional piece of wood to splice your patch to the surrounding floor from underneath (screws will go in from above so you don't need to drop the belly to do it).

I don't think marine grade plywood is necessary, especially in a patch. I doubt seriously that the original floor was made of marine grade. Besides, the marine grade is higher quality (more layers, less voids), but will rot if exposed to water. Figure out where the water is coming from and make sure it gets stopped, and finish your patch job by soaking with polyurathane, and you should be in good shape.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

1963 26' Overlander
Weedville , Pennsylvania
I see there are issues with that marine stuff across the forums - :-)
Steve K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Don't know about issues with the Marine grade besides the fantastic cost. You do want to avoid anything that is pressure treated, as the chemicals in it can react with the metals in the trailer, but marine grade generally isn't pressure treated.

I replaced my entire floor and used the marine grade plywood as I was going with the philosophy that "as long as I am doing this..." The Marine grade ply cost about $100 per sheet, which was 4x the normal stuff. I think I got way more value out of painting the new wood top and bottom with several coats of poly than I did the "marine grade" quality.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander