Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
1952 Cruisette?

I think that this is 1952 Cruisette. Its 15 feet long and the serial # is 8057. From what I've seen online, the people I bought it from changed a lot inside. We are looking for replacements parts and that has proven to be impossible. I will try to answer any questions about it that anyone has, but I'm excited to restore this little gem. There has been quite abit of work done inside that I know of. They ripped up and changed the floor, repainted, and the previous owner put in an area up front for a bathroom...I think. Thanks for looking!!!! I put the pictures 27 pictures online Picasa Web Albums - Matt - 1952 Airstrea...
IdahoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Welcome,

It looks like a nice trailer!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That does look like a nice little trailer. Not sure I like what they did to the tongue though. Maybe since it weighs so little it won't matter but I don't like the look of it. Purist problem I guess.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #4

New York , New York
your cruisette

you wouldn't want to sell it?
have you seen any others like it?
joeyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Sweet!

Does it have a "tube" frame behind that extended tongue?

Have you checked out the pics at the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives? There is one listed there with serial # 8056

Hope to see you on the road!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It looks clean. Since the P.O. ripped everything up inside, it pretty much gives you Carte Blanche to do what you would like. I would remove that hitch extension, or beefing up the attachments, I don't like the idea of four bolts carrying the weight and forces of the trailer while towing.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
Few and far between

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjohn
you wouldn't want to sell it?
have you seen any others like it?
Hi JoeyJohn,

I haven't seen any other Cruisette's in person but I have seen a few other online. And this trailer is definately not for sale...sorry
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Sweet!

Does it have a "tube" frame behind that extended tongue?

Have you checked out the pics at the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives? There is one listed there with serial # 8056

Hope to see you on the road!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
It does have the tube fram behind the extended tongue and I'm definately thinking about taking that off and going back to the original tongue set up. The Vintage Airstream site is amazing with so many great pictures!!! And its awesome that it has the Cruisette that was made right before mine!!! Thanks for taking a look at my diamond in the rough
Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sweet

WHAT A GREAT FIND

Congrat's..That is one very rare little AS.

PLEASE....keep us posted on your progress!

STREAM SAFE
Old 09-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC Canada
Hi...I've just joined the forum. I've been restoring Airstreams for many years now. Presently have two Trade Winds for sale....a 70 and a 71. My main reason for writing you is to let you know I have a 1951 Cruisette with serial number 8059 so very close to your serial number. I'm not sure how to get around this forum site or how I read any responses but I'll try to figure it out. Cheers from George in Victoria, BC (then New Zealand from Nov.-April) ghumphreys@pacificcoast.net
George H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
51 or 52?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95anzac1 View Post
Hi...I've just joined the forum. I've been restoring Airstreams for many years now. Presently have two Trade Winds for sale....a 70 and a 71. My main reason for writing you is to let you know I have a 1951 Cruisette with serial number 8059 so very close to your serial number. I'm not sure how to get around this forum site or how I read any responses but I'll try to figure it out. Cheers from George in Victoria, BC (then New Zealand from Nov.-April) ghumphreys@pacificcoast.net
Hi George!

Its great to hear about another Cruisette that has been found!!! But I have one question...I think that you have a '52 Cruisette and not a '51. Mine is s/n 8057 and yours is s/n 8059. So I don't think you can have a serial number after mine and be a '51. Mine is titled as a '52 and I've seen a few that have smaller s/n than mine that are '52s. Either way, you still have a rare Airstream that anyone on this forum would love to have!!! Hope to see you on the road.

Matt
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC Canada
Thanks for the information Matt. It presently shows on the title as a 1954 but I'll see if I can get that changed to 1952. It will be awhile before I have it ready for the road but it will be done. Cheers from George.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
As a note on year per your registration versus year of manufacture:

My Flying Cloud is 30 serial numbers later than the one I found for my buddy. Mine is registered as a 1951 and his as a 1952. We have learned that back in the fifties at least trailers were often titled when sold and thus a trailer made in 1951 but not sold until 1952 was titled a 1952. The way I look at it is that mine was adopted before his and thus mine is more mature than his and was more desirable to their owners, plus it has a years more experience at carrying a license plate. He obviously got the runt of the litter which was the last to go .

He obviously disagrees believing that his was special and required someone with a bit more class to come along and adopt his.

The point is, don't let the year of registration determine the year of manufacture.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC Canada
51 Cruisette SN 8059

Hi Matt....I saw your info about Cruisette serial number 8057 and have to let you know I have Cruisette #8059 which I am pretty sure is a 1951. I'm looking for any pictures of an original one because I am about to do a major restoration on mine. Would particularily like to know about the 'white painted roof' of the originals. I'm located in Victoria, BC. Never used this forum before so please post a reply if you get this.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , BC Canada
51 Cruisette SN 8059

Matt...the reason I think it is a 1951 is because the interior front and rear caps are formed with only one layer of aluminium. I believe I have read in the Vintage forum that they were the first Cruisettes produced and then later they used a dual layer of alum. Does yours have single or dual layers on the interior end caps? If it has single then I'll bet it was produced in 1951 but sold and registered in 1952. Cheers from George.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by George H View Post
Hi Matt....I saw your info about Cruisette serial number 8057 and have to let you know I have Cruisette #8059 which I am pretty sure is a 1951. I'm looking for any pictures of an original one because I am about to do a major restoration on mine. Would particularily like to know about the 'white painted roof' of the originals. I'm located in Victoria, BC. Never used this forum before so please post a reply if you get this.
Hey George,

The only pictures I have seen of other Cruisette's are in the post from CaddyGrn (5th post in this thread). I've also posted an album of my Cruisette in the first post of this thread. Can you post some pictures of yours? Would love to see them!

Matt
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
make Wally proud

1951 15' Cruisette
1948 19' Trailwind
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , Texas
Do you mind explaining how the end caps were modified? That is very interesting to me as using my Cruisette in the Texas heat is not so desirable. It looks as though an interior layer of metal was attached. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to use my trailer, I would appreciate it very much. The metal gets so hot in the sun you can not even touch it!! Thank You
51cruisette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by George H View Post
Matt...the reason I think it is a 1951 is because the interior front and rear caps are formed with only one layer of aluminium. I believe I have read in the Vintage forum that they were the first Cruisettes produced and then later they used a dual layer of alum. Does yours have single or dual layers on the interior end caps? If it has single then I'll bet it was produced in 1951 but sold and registered in 1952. Cheers from George.
Hi George,
Not Matt, but I also own a Cruisette Ser. 8050. Its a 1952. It only has the single layer endcaps as well. I've never seen info on a Cruisette that had inner skin on the endcaps. Would love to see any photos of your trailer. I've got some of 8050 at my blog:
Airstream Moderne

Good luck with your trailer.
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51cruisette View Post
Do you mind explaining how the end caps were modified? That is very interesting to me as using my Cruisette in the Texas heat is not so desirable. It looks as though an interior layer of metal was attached. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to use my trailer, I would appreciate it very much. The metal gets so hot in the sun you can not even touch it!! Thank You
Great to see several other Cruisette owners. I've got a '52 Ser. 8050. As part of my refurbish project I need to strip all of my interior finish and old zolotone. Something I intend to try on the single layer endcaps is called "Lizard Skin" Lizardskin Ceramic Insulation and Sound Control Spray-on Formula

Over that I'm going to apply a layer of zolotone matching the original shade. I'm sure it won't have the insulating abilities of the conventional inner skin structure, but it should help.
Would love to know the serial# of your trailer and to see any photos. HTH
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisette52 View Post
Hi George,
Not Matt, but I also own a Cruisette Ser. 8050. Its a 1952. It only has the single layer endcaps as well. I've never seen info on a Cruisette that had inner skin on the endcaps. Would love to see any photos of your trailer. I've got some of 8050 at my blog:
Airstream Moderne

Good luck with your trailer.
Tim
Love the pictures on your blog! Do you have any others you could add? Like you, I love seeing what other Cruisette's look like. How much more work do you have until you will can take your Cruisette out?

Matt