Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
HELP !! What to do about the 1947 Liner ??

I'm flipping out. I've basically been told that the dealer isn't getting me a title. I don't know what the problem is, exactly, but it's burning me up. I can't pursue it myself, legally- I don't think? I can get my money back or they have offered other AS's... my problem is that I've grown attached to "MY" airstream and I am also a lioness when it comes to protecting my own...

So, do I give up? Do I fight?
I'm so upset it's bringing me to tears.

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I'm flipping out. I've basically been told that the dealer isn't getting me a title. I don't know what the problem is, exactly, but it's burning me up. I can't pursue it myself, legally- I don't think? I can get my money back or they have offered other AS's... my problem is that I've grown attached to "MY" airstream and I am also a lioness when it comes to protecting my own...

Rae
If you have all the paperwork for the trailer, and receipts showing you have paid for the trailer in full, contact your local DMV office. They will send out a DMV inspector, or ask you to come into their office. They may be able to get what is called a "hardship title", for when you pay for a vehicle, and the dealer doesn't provide a title. If doing it that way doesn't work, there are other ways to get a title, involving a title company. All this is, of course, if the trailer is not stolen.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
There is always Broadway Title + a couple of other Co.s,for my GT I got a registration from Maine,that after a trip over the scales Fl. issued a title.I think I paid Broadway $300.00.
First check with DMV to make sure they don`t have the trailer on their records. Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Massachusetts
Move the registration to a state like Vermont that doesn't title vehicles over ten years old. Vermont may be extreme but certainly there must be other states that don't title after so many years.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
CT doesn't title all trailers

Rae-

Are you registering in CT or Florida? When I registered the Caravel in Connecticut, they don't title older trailers with a Gross Weight under 3000 pounds.

Don't give up on that trailer! It's a rare gem and you seem so attached to it.

John
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #6

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Rae ~

Do whatever is necessary and take whatever measures you need to in order to keep the trailer. Most states have considerations about getting a title if you can prove you paid for the vehicle with a bill of sale and the seller doesn't respond or cooperate.

Be the lioness.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post

Rae
Did they give you an explanation? Is this dealer in Florida? I agree with the advice about calling or going to the DMV office to see if you can get it titled before you give up.

Good Luck,
Carol
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
If you paid for it and can prove it I would do what ever I needed to do to keep it.I hate jumping through hoops but for a prize like that I would

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
OK all, I'm in the ring!!! (boxing gloves fitted with buckshot :-) )... I have paperwork to prove ownership- or at least paid for. I have the receipt from the credit card company/bill. I also have a fabulous DMV in Saint Augustine who'd probably love to get their claws into this. Yes- registering in FL. (I'm homesteaded)... Wish me luck!!! --great advice... THANK YOU!!

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I went thru all of that with the DMV,had a friend with wrecker co.,who went back 21 years to the last registered owner,who had 2 addresses,mailed certified letters to both,they returned,took them to DMV,still no title,they sent me to municipal court to petition for title.$300.00 just to file for petition.That`s when I quit messing with DMV,and went with Broadway Title.
On my Spartanette,I had a brother living in Alabama,he got it registered there and sent the registration to me with a bill of sale as a gift.I think Alabama has changed law where they must see trailer.
Do you have any friends in Al.or Ga.? Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
My husband has a son in GA. I'll keep this in mind if I hit the same roadblocks. (perhaps this is what the dealer is hitting?) They haven't explained anything to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I went thru all of that with the DMV,had a friend with wrecker co.,who went back 21 years to the last registered owner,who had 2 addresses,mailed certified letters to both,they returned,took them to DMV,still no title,they sent me to municipal court to petition for title.$300.00 just to file for petition.That`s when I quit messing with DMV,and went with Broadway Title.
On my Spartanette,I had a brother living in Alabama,he got it registered there and sent the registration to me with a bill of sale as a gift.I think Alabama has changed law where they must see trailer.
Do you have any friends in Al.or Ga.? Dave

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
dealing with Frank and his clan I can say try to do it yourself, I am sure his title girl "tried really hard" to get your title.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Rae,

Just got up to speed on the elusive title. I go along with the other suggestions whereas you go to DMV here in FL and plead your case,lost title, they bend over backwards for you here in FL, nice to deal with. As you know in CT we are always the ones to bend over, Ha, Ha!

Good luck, by the way are you in CT, we are off to the Shuttle Launch this weekend!

Bill
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Rae,

Just got up to speed on the elusive title. I go along with the other suggestions whereas you go to DMV here in FL and plead your case,lost title, they bend over backwards for you here in FL, nice to deal with. As you know in CT we are always the ones to bend over, Ha, Ha!

Good luck, by the way are you in CT, we are off to the Shuttle Launch this weekend

Bill

Yay! I am jealous that I'm missing the launch. I hope someone in the group has a nice telephoto lens and will take some good photos for all of us who are missing it. Have fun!

As far as DMV in CT goes, my experiences with southeastern CT offices have been less than exciting :-)

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Tags