Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Liner > 1947-1949 Liner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
When I get there tomorrow and go through the paperwork, I will be more than happy to tell all- right now I don't know all the details so I will wait 'til I get everything. I'm just hoping that it's all real and not some fabrication. But I don't know why after all this time (almost 4 months) that it could be anything other than the real deal. All I know is I think they know they don't want to get me real mad. So far I've shown subtle aggravation, and mild force. If I have to, it can get ugly. I hiope that it doesn't have to go to that. I hate getting mad. It takes so much energy. I'd much rather use it for doing cartwheels in the parking lot after I have the success story! :-) :-) :-) :-)

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Whoo Hoo !!!! Can't wait to hear you've got this resolved. Here's hoping for a smooth and seamless title transition.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
When I get there tomorrow and go through the paperwork, I will be more than happy to tell all- right now I don't know all the details so I will wait 'til I get everything. I'm just hoping that it's all real and not some fabrication. But I don't know why after all this time (almost 4 months) that it could be anything other than the real deal. All I know is I think they know they don't want to get me real mad. So far I've shown subtle aggravation, and mild force. If I have to, it can get ugly. I hiope that it doesn't have to go to that. I hate getting mad. It takes so much energy. I'd much rather use it for doing cartwheels in the parking lot after I have the success story! :-) :-) :-) :-)

I thought it took 9 months for a baby, Ha! Ha! Great to hear the news!

By the way if you actually do the cartwheels in the parking lot watch for the cars pulling Airstreams!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
If it doesn't work out, you were looking to build a new frame anyway. Get a new construction vehicle title made where you are the manufacturer. Is it a 63 year old Airstream with a new frame, new floor, new systems entirely? Or is it simply an old Airstream's shell that's been "modified" to fit onto a thoroughly modern chassis with new everything? I would call it the latter and go from there.

It's actually quite easy to do. They should have forms (WV does and I can't imagine the other states being much different) where you say that "...this part came from here, that part came from there, I fabricated this, this, and that. Then it would be titled as a 2010 SilverFoxRae Special. You are the manufacturer.

Example: I want to build a new car from scratch. I robbed a '69 Chrysler New Yorker of it's engine and transmission, I used the front suspension from a '98 Corvette, the rear suspension from a '2002 Camaro, the steering column from an '88 Fiero, i welded up a 4130 steel space frame and made a fiberglass body for it that is a duplicate of a '69 Dodge Charger. I got the lights from Year One. So I have a car that looks just like a '69 Dodge Charger, but it's made from many different parts. I simply fill out the construction forms accordingly, and it's titled as the JimBo Special, serial number 00001. That's it.

It "might" affect resale, but so what? If a person really wants it, they'll buy it. But it sounds to me like YOU are that person and you already have it and wee on resale.

I'm all about modifying it to what I want and to heck with what some potential future owner might want. But, to each their own

Best of luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
The fact you paid money for it and now have it in your possession does not necessarily mean you "own" the trailer. In most title states, the trailer is still owned by the person whose names appears on the certificate of title you haven't seen. Until the existing, or a duplicate, certificate of title is properly transferred to you and until such time as the state issues a new certificate of title for the trailer with your name on it, you may not legally "own" the trailer.

Be aware that in many states you do not own an untitled vehicle in your possession. If you spend 5 years and thousands of dollars restoring "your" 1947 Liner, then the real owner with the missing title appears on the scene and claims the trailer, he will own the trailer and you will have donated all your improvements to his personal property.

Get the title issue resolved, and title in your name, before you spend any money improving the trailer.
Hi, I would report this sale to the local DMV. In California a licensed dealer cannot sell a vehicle without a clear title. Therefore the trailer is not legally yours. Here, DMV has the power to take away the dealer's seller's permit, for doing things like this, vertually putting them out of business.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Well. I may not be completely in the full clear, but I will have an official registration. When hit with the road block of not being able to contact an owner a few owners back-- when it still had a title, the dealer decided to go another route. They had the trailer weighed and according to FL they were able to register it as a homemade trailer and not required to have a title because it's well under 2000 pounds. Seems possibly shady to me but I think I can try to resolve the title issue on my own. I was contacted by the last owner, who bought the trailer off eBay. He was able to give me some information on it, perhaps enough for me to do a title search in the last known location it was registered. I'm still going to pursue it. For whatever it's worth it seems important to me to try. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing by just getting it the heck out of there. (sigh) I'm tired of the BS...

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #27

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
You have the patience of Job.

Hang in there Rae

The Margaritas are on me next time out.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
And the saga continues...

Ok now I'm veeeerrrrry stressed out. I spoke with a friend who works at the DMV in Saint Augustine, FL. She looked at what I have, heard the whole story and basically said that the TT cannot be just registered as a homemade trailer, w/o a title. So, I am awaiting the documents on a supposed copy of a previous registration and hopefully some names that go with this trailer in the past. Basically I might be screwed. (royally.) I am not even certain that it can even be registered. And say I do get a registration... What is that worth? I suppose I can drive it around, but without a title is it even legal or worth anything? I'm also told that since the dealer sold it to me, it's still on them to file for a title, etc., not me- and that I may not be able to... Ugggggh.
Anyone out there know anything about this trailer? I am upset enough that I might have to drop everything. Totally. My dream of having a vintage Airstream is certainly not going like any dream I ever dreamt about.

One Bummed-out Chica

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Not that it helps you now, but I find that the more difficult something is to achieve the more I appreciate it and want to share that achievement with others. The difficulty you are encountering now MAY end up as a story of hard work and triumph for you to share later on (I hope).
Don't give up. There are people who have done this before, and you will probably be the next one to do it.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Basically I might be screwed. (royally.) I am not even certain that it can even be registered.
Rae,

As easyride posted above... contact Broadway Title They will be able to get it taken care of for you. They deal with lots of folks who need to register classic vehicles that have been left for dead. Your situation is not nearly that dire... keep your chin up!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
I guess it's more of the waiting game. I'll see what I get sent for paperwork. If I have anything to work with, then I should hopefully be able to find the missing title. If I can find it then beautiful. If I can't, then I'm not sure how I feel. I hate to put a big investment into something that may not be "worth" anything in the end, if it has no title? I also want to be sure this is legal, and I've been told it isn't. So I'm confused. Ah. Nothing seems to be going easy here... and I'm not exactly accustomed to this with purchases. Usually it's always a bigtime impulse buy that scares the crap out of me but turns out to be a labor of love and works out beautiful in the end... this time it's fighting me.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Husband and most of my close friends want me to quit. I guess I can't really argue with them. I mean, I can, but they're the ones who have to live with me...

I guess it's back to looking... this time 1950's vintage, bed in rear, dinette forward, windows and appliances with a clear title. Far fetched?

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #33

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Husband and most of my close friends want me to quit. I guess I can't really argue with them. I mean, I can, but they're the ones who have to live with me...

I guess it's back to looking... this time 1950's vintage, bed in rear, dinette forward, windows and appliances with a clear title. Far fetched?

Rae

Not that far fetched Rae.

Here's listing in Pensacola that may be of interest.

` Vintage ` 1957 18 ft airstream wanderer : eBay Motors (item 230451289574 end time Mar-26-10 17:00:00 PDT)

Good Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about... Thank you! I've got a phone call in & waiting.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Rae,

Here is another one to take a shot at... VINTAGE 1956 AIRSTREAM Flying Cloud Travel Trailer RARE : eBay Motors (item 110509210173 end time Mar-24-10 12:41:40 PDT)
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Call DMV make sure ser.# is not still in there system,if not take it to Georgia get son to register it in his name then gift trailer to you.Call him first to find out if that law still applies in Ga. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If it were me...

Disentangle yourself from that seller and trailer. There are better trailers out there with sellers that will work with you. I love both of the ones just presented to you here. I hope the sellers will be realistic. If you have a 40' wood schooner around...I will really fix you up.

Tags