I originally posted this trailer on the "Interesting Craigslist Finds" thread. Had several questions about it so thought it deserved a thread.
Finally reached the lister today - he explained he hadn't returned my call because he thought he had it sold - 3 times.... and each time he waited around and was stood up...
Needless to say he is a little miffed with "you Airstream people". Spent almost an hour on the phone with him explaining what to expect, so I think I left him in a better mood.
Here's what I know:
- he thought it was a 51 Clipper
- the pipe frame is rusted off of the front
- the trailer sat at an RV dealer for over 15 years and he's had it several
years also... he believes no one has been it it for 20 years
- it was given to him for scrap by the RV dealer in return for some other
work - he thought "someone might want it someday"
- the door has an added lock and NO key - those who have called him advised against prying the door open (thank goodness)
- there is no title (no surprise)
- he said the front and rear windows are plastic and that someone told him the window next to the door is not original
- looking in he said it looks like everything is there and it's set up "like it should be" - there is floor rot that he can see - the belly pan is intact
Several people have tried to get him to sell it for way less than the $1,500 he wanted for it... (good grief). One guy even called him and said he talked to Airstream - they advised it would take around $16,000 to put a new frame/floor under it if they did it
The serial number is 1155. Looking at the Vintage Airstream site (many thanks for that great resource)... I'm going to call it a 1948 Liner. Had to call him back to find out if the serial plate was oval or square - aluminum or brass. It is oval brass and shows the 1755 North Main Street factory address. See the comments about that on Vintage Airstream.
I'm calling it a 48 but there are others here much better at this than I am.. so we'll see what they think hopefully...
The original picture and the first additional one he sent me. More to follow. Enjoy...