Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
x

XXXX , XXXX
#1023 built by Wallace M Byam

Last week I had the pleasure of responding to a thread by a couple in Idaho who were given this trailer. They had plans on fixing it up but alas it wasn't in their budget to do so. They had posted regarding information about the trailer and it's value before listing it on Craig's list.

This is the original thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...nce-80753.html

I contacted them right away as I was extremely interested in buying the trailer. The next day after patiently waiting for a response I sent them a PM and later that day they called me and responded to both the e-mail I sent and the PM. I had told them exactly what they had and that it was very rare.
They expained the history of the trailer as they knew it and how they wanted it to go to a good home. There was some other interest by a commercial operation and the sellers felt better allowing me to purchase it instead of the restoration company. So after some negotiation I was lucky enough to aquire it. I will be going to get it later this fall and it will be going to Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore for a full restoration. Frank has my 1961 Sovereign there and I will pull it home until the 47 is done. I want it finished first.

Here are some pics the seller sent me today:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	137848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	137847

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	137845Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	137846

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	137844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	137843
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
I will be posting in about the recovery mission some time later and Frank will of course be posting in about the restoration in great detail. There is very little information here regarding the 40`s units so I hope to create a pictoral and written history about this trailer.
Until then I will be researching what the original layout looked like as this one is gutted. Lots of searching will need to be done to source out original windows, appliances etc. So if anyone has any pics, referance material or parts to sell please let me know.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I will be posting in about the recovery mission some time later and Frank will of course be posting in about the restoration in great detail. There is very little information here regarding the 40`s units so I hope to create a pictoral and written history about this trailer.
Until then I will be researching what the original layout looked like as this one is gutted. Lots of searching will need to be done to source out original windows, appliances etc. So if anyone has any pics, referance material or parts to sell please let me know.
Nice find Mr. Wasaga.... very nice find! You lucky guy! How far do you have to tow/move your new trailer, to get it to Frank?

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Rex it's 2017 miles from my place to Idaho, 2242 miles from Idaho to Baltimore and 527 mile from Baltimore to back home. So total 4786 miles including 2769 miles towing.
I'm finally going to get a work out on my Ford F450. I've had it for two years and it only has 16000 miles on it. I'm thinking three to four days out, maybe five or six days back and two days to get home plus some time in Baltimore with Frank. He has already warned me not to be on a hook and book mission once I get to his place.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
At a truck ownership/operating cost of above $1/mile (before lodging/meal/misc expenses), that is some trip. Promises to be a great thread! Will you be loading the A/S onto a GN flatbed?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
At a truck ownership/operating cost of above $1/mile (before lodging/meal/misc expenses), that is some trip. Promises to be a great thread! Will you be loading the A/S onto a GN flatbed?

I don't know what a GN flatbed is but I am planning on using a car hauler from U-haul to move the 47 as I don't want to trust the 64 yr old pipe frame. The 61 coming home will have new axles, tires, lights etc so it will be towed on the ground.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good!! GN [goose-neck] deck-over [wheelwells] dovetail [ramp'd] flatbed.

I've used the UH car haulers -- have you measured the distance between wheelwells? -- and while well-made, tend to have crap tires, lug nut torque, electrical connexions, etc (just the usual cost cutting poor service). UH has manuals online about their trailers. I won't rent one anymore without crawling underneath and testing everything. I've yet to have one not fail inspection (tire pressure, torque value, etc). Few personnel are even good at hooking up the surge brake correctly. I also insist on bleeding and refilling hydraulic cylinder (turkey baster works). And, obviously, bring all my own tools/supplies as some/most UH locations are poorly equipped. UH has a long history of paying accident settlements under sealed agreements.

Also, only as FYI, USDOT requirements for commercial hauling require securement against movement in any direction. Not just side-to-side. I've used chains with success on frame ends (different trailer type) but like to throw a strap or two over the top to prevent any tendency towards tipping (try a 19k lb diesel engine!). Hauling trailers on top of a trailer (portable construction generators, for instance) makes me more nervous as tires can deflate and suspensions break . . with no notice it has occurred.

When's the "go date"?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, there is a STOKED business owner in Baltimore!!!! A 1949 Trail Wind dropped in today. A 1950 Liner is due in any day now, and soon this very lovely 1947. I had thought my shop would specialize in 1957- 63, but it is looking like pre 1950 is going to be it. I am more than ready for the task at hand.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Frank make sure you get lots of pics of both the 49 and the 50 so we have something to reference from. I know I don't have to tell you your job but info on the windows appliances etc would also be great.
I'll talk to you later about the progress on the BB. It needs to be ready for the road by the end of October.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wow. Frank's going to be busy! Nice find Chris.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Nice find - it really looks all there - interior skins, windows, etc. Less the interior which gives you a clean slate. No major holes punched through for AC or modern appliances, skin looks good from the pics. This will make a great trailer and a great story.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Stopping in ND?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Hi Rex it's 2017 miles from my place to Idaho, 2242 miles from Idaho to Baltimore and 527 mile from Baltimore to back home. So total 4786 miles including 2769 miles towing.
I'm finally going to get a work out on my Ford F450. I've had it for two years and it only has 16000 miles on it. I'm thinking three to four days out, maybe five or six days back and two days to get home plus some time in Baltimore with Frank. He has already warned me not to be on a hook and book mission once I get to his place.

Free parking at our place on the way out and back if you are interested. Nice trailer and that is quite a collection you are building. Congrats again!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

One brand of those gn trailers is Landoll.
http://landoll.com

Looks impressive.

Congrats on the 47 AS.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Free parking at our place on the way out and back if you are interested. Nice trailer and that is quite a collection you are building. Congrats again!
Sandy
Hi Sandy it's strange that you should say that. Last night I was looking at the route and investigating who I could drop in on and show off the 47 to. The 47 is in southern Idaho and mapquest is routing me across I-80 from Chicago which is much farther south than anyone I know.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Good!! GN [goose-neck] deck-over [wheelwells] dovetail [ramp'd] flatbed.

I've used the UH car haulers -- have you measured the distance between wheelwells? -- and while well-made, tend to have crap tires, lug nut torque, electrical connexions, etc (just the usual cost cutting poor service). UH has manuals online about their trailers. I won't rent one anymore without crawling underneath and testing everything. I've yet to have one not fail inspection (tire pressure, torque value, etc). Few personnel are even good at hooking up the surge brake correctly. I also insist on bleeding and refilling hydraulic cylinder (turkey baster works). And, obviously, bring all my own tools/supplies as some/most UH locations are poorly equipped. UH has a long history of paying accident settlements under sealed agreements.

Also, only as FYI, USDOT requirements for commercial hauling require securement against movement in any direction. Not just side-to-side. I've used chains with success on frame ends (different trailer type) but like to throw a strap or two over the top to prevent any tendency towards tipping (try a 19k lb diesel engine!). Hauling trailers on top of a trailer (portable construction generators, for instance) makes me more nervous as tires can deflate and suspensions break . . with no notice it has occurred.

When's the "go date"?

Hi the problem with bringing my own car hauler is how do I then pull it and the 61 31fter back to Canada. Plus the initial purchase price is a factor.
U haul's quote is $467 from ID to MD plus $90 for ins.
The expected travel date is sometime around the third week of October after I can close my campground for the season.
Thanks for the heads up on the condition of their trailers. I'll definately have it checked out first.
I did intend on making sure the trailer was secure both side to side and front to back. i think it will be secure against tipping as the trailer probably weighs less than 1500 lbs. All good info though thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
A 1949 Trail Wind dropped in today. A 1950 Liner is due in any day now, and soon this very lovely 1947.
The older boys are all trying to check out Anna's badunkadunk.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Landoll
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1362223310.png
Views:	167
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	137864   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1322914534.png
Views:	157
Size:	969.5 KB
ID:	137865  

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
The older boys are all trying to check out Anna's badunkadunk.
I am a traditionalist. All Airstreams are yachts and all yachts are female. I know many have used male names, but in the boat world that does not fly. I like to think the old ladies are checking out my Anna's slightly younger badunkadunk. It is a much hotter image than a bunch of old boys looking her over.

I however, cannot wait to see Chris's clipper arrive. As he implied, no drop and roll going on there, he is going to be my guest for a little bit of time first.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
I dunno Frank with that big piece of pipe frame sticking out the front it sure looks male to me.
Who knows I might just stay for the winter if Frank can employ an illegal alien from north of the border.
Kidding of course I need to get back to take care of dear old mum. She is alone now and wants me with her for the long dark winter for some company.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Landoll
Yeah but what did that set you back? and it was only for a short distance.
I;'ve posted the 47 on U ship and have quotes from $2000 to $5000. The lower quote was from a shipper with a 0 rating so i wouldn't want to try them and 5k is too high. I can do the whole trip myself for $2500 which includes bringing the 61 back home.