Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Question Overhead speakers in 2020 Caravel 22FB

Hi, everyone - new Airstreamer here. We just took delivery of a 2020 Caravel 22FB last Saturday after deciding on the purchase a week before (it was a LOOOONG week wait LOL). We passed the time by watching a lot of YouTube videos, including the excellent walkthrough from Colonial Airstream in NJ. One thing that I don't remember from any video is how the entertainment setup works. We love the trailer so far but cannot figure out how to get the TV to play through the overhead speakers.

Our Caravel has a 24" LG TV, a Sony Blu-ray player (which apparently doesn't have internal WiFi, just LAN), and the JL audio system. Its manual says change the audio to CD-2 but I don't have that option, just AM, FM, USB, Bluetooth, and AUX. Neither the TV or Blu-ray player play through any source. The TV looks super basic (just one HDMI port and one power port) so my guess is that it's just attached to the Blu-ray player and nothing else. If this the case, then I get why it wouldn't play over the speakers. Am I correct in assuming the current setup isn't capable of playing over the stereo speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	355171  

malicoreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The Caravell is not set up to have the TV play through the speakers. I did an easy fix to get the blue ray to play through the stereo. Setting it up to have the tv play through it might require a bit more pulling/ running wires.
Let me know if your interested.

Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Thanks, Shiny16!

Thanks, I also got a reply back from Airstream saying the same thing :/

What did you do for the Blu-ray player?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we replaced our AS TV display with a LED TV model, slightly larger. it also has a DVD player inside.
We don't use the cheap DVD player in the AS supplied AV unit as it gets down scaled with a VGA converter in the back.

instead we ran an audio cable from the new LED Tv to the AS media player unit

we also have a small PC and media player, they run to the AS media player for sound and to the other video inut on the LED tv.

We also upgraded the cheap As speakers to better POLK units
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by malicoreon View Post
Thanks, I also got a reply back from Airstream saying the same thing :/

What did you do for the Blu-ray player?
Just order a digital to analog converter. About 20 bucks on Amazon. Pull the JBL unit out. Connect To the JBL aux rca jack input and the blue ray digital coax output.
To remove the JBL just pop off the frame and remove I think 4 screws. You can reach the back of the blue ray without removing it. The converter is small. I just left it inside on top of the blue ray player.
You will have to play with the settings on the blue ray player to get it to play through the coaxial output.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Thanks! I had some reward $ to use at my local big box electronics store so I purchased a smart version of the TV that was in the trailer. At least it has HDMI ARC and some additional outputs. Not sure if the link will be allowed on the forum: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-c...?skuId=6337604. At least now I can do Netflix and stuff and add a soundbar later if I don't end up running wire to the audio unit.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
FYS
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Just use a Roku or AppleTV player instead

Usually, I don't get regular TV channels over the air where ever I am. While storing at home, I just use a Roku player (choose the right model). While on the road, I use my iphone data to stream movies and shows and music with it's mirror feature, to cast to Apple tv (no wifi needed). Both Roku or my phone has to be next to the window or else there will be a major lost of signal inside the aluminum trailer.

There's an "video/audio in" jack for the stero system that I use to tap into (already connect to DVD player).

Or else, a better solution is just to add a sound bar under the TV and it'll should sound so much better than the stock stereo system. I added a cheap Google Home Mini (looks like a large white mushroom) inside the overhead cabinet for mine while stored at home and it still sounds better than the stock stereo. I can stream music or use the intercom feature (using the "broadcast" verbal command) to talk to wife inside the house (also have Google Home).
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYS View Post
Usually, I don't get regular TV channels over the air where ever I am. While storing at home, I just use a Roku player (choose the right model). While on the road, I use my iphone data to stream movies and shows and music with it's mirror feature, to cast to Apple tv (no wifi needed). Both Roku or my phone has to be next to the window or else there will be a major lost of signal inside the aluminum trailer.

There's an "video/audio in" jack for the stero system that I use to tap into (already connect to DVD player).

Or else, a better solution is just to add a sound bar under the TV and it'll should sound so much better than the stock stereo system. I added a cheap Google Home Mini (looks like a large white mushroom) inside the overhead cabinet for mine while stored at home and it still sounds better than the stock stereo. I can stream music or use the intercom feature (using the "broadcast" verbal command) to talk to wife inside the house (also have Google Home).
Thanks! I did go ahead and switch the original set with a smart version (LG 24LM520S-WU) so I’d be able to add things like sound bars etc. The original LG 24LJ4540 didn’t even have any audio out connections. Also, to me it’s a huge bonus that the new set is white with a grey bezel. It’s a terrific match for the cabinets and counters.

Cool idea with the Google stuff. I also plan to use mobile hotspot when I want to use streaming services, assuming I can pick up LTE wherever I am. I may get brave enough to pull the audio unit out and see if I can do some kind of analog to digital thing so I can use the aux input. I’m a little surprised that a trailer this expensive wouldn’t be set up for surround sound :/

Anyway, thanks for your help and have a great night!
Old 10-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

2020 16' Caravel
San Clemente , CA
Did you guys replace the stock 12v TV with another 12v TV, or go AC?
SurfnSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #10
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Hi, I bought a regular AC television - another 24" LG. It's model 24LM520S-WU. It has smart functionality built in and plenty of outputs. I would still love to get it to play through the overhead speakers but I don't want to run wires. I could find a long RCA cable, pull the front of the radio, hook that up, and just leave it coiled up in the cabinet when not in use, I guess.

At least now I can watch Netflix, Prime, etc. First world problem, huh? Just a lil annoyed that a >70K trailer wouldn't have surround sound. How hard could it have been to go up one grade of TV and run RCA?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Hi, I bought a regular AC television - another 24" LG. It's model 24LM520S-WU. It has smart functionality built in and plenty of outputs. I would still love to get it to play through the overhead speakers but I don't want to run wires. I could find a long RCA cable, pull the front of the radio, hook that up, and just leave it coiled up in the cabinet when not in use, I guess.

At least now I can watch Netflix, Prime, etc. First world problem, huh? Just a lil annoyed that a >70K trailer wouldn't have surround sound. How hard could it have been to go up one grade of TV and run RCA?
Thing is, as of 2019, they did....my serenity has the Clarion m303 in it and they wired it to have the TV audio come through the Aux.

The problem is the M303 suddenly went out of production and they had to scramble to find a replacement. You'll be surprised how hard it is to find a single DIN unit with an external RCA located in the BACK of the unit.

I still think they should have continued to prewire a set of RCA's or replace the TV with an ARC HMDI return to the blu-ray and use an HDMI audio extractor cable to route the signal to a proper radio replacement.

But this is AS after all.
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Thing is, as of 2019, they did....my serenity has the Clarion m303 in it and they wired it to have the TV audio come through the Aux.

The problem is the M303 suddenly went out of production and they had to scramble to find a replacement. You'll be surprised how hard it is to find a single DIN unit with an external RCA located in the BACK of the unit.

I still think they should have continued to prewire a set of RCA's or replace the TV with an ARC HMDI return to the blu-ray and use an HDMI audio extractor cable to route the signal to a proper radio replacement.

But this is AS after all.
Good info! My Caravel has the JL audio head unit. My replacement TV has HDMI ARC, which is the port I used to connect the existing HDMI cable. I haven't pulled anything out the kitchen cabinet (where the Sony Blu-ray and JL audio head unit live) yet. I thought about putting something like this J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (JTDAT5CH) from the world's largest online retailer inside the cabinet but I wasn't sure the TV audio would pass through it when the TV isn't in HDMI1.

Another poster on here suggested a digital to analog audio converter so I could at least get the Blu-ray going over surround sound which would get me halfway there.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Good info! My Caravel has the JL audio head unit. My replacement TV has HDMI ARC, which is the port I used to connect the existing HDMI cable. I haven't pulled anything out the kitchen cabinet (where the Sony Blu-ray and JL audio head unit live) yet. I thought about putting something like this J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (JTDAT5CH) from the world's largest online retailer inside the cabinet but I wasn't sure the TV audio would pass through it when the TV isn't in HDMI1.

Another poster on here suggested a digital to analog audio converter so I could at least get the Blu-ray going over surround sound which would get me halfway there.
That is the beauty of ARC, it returns any audio the TV sees all the time. This is one of the things that make soundbars work flawlessly, plus the transport controls are sent over it also.

HDMI audio extractors will do the job, the only question will be latency, if it is more than 100ms delay from hdmi ARC to audio out, you'll have the subtitles effect where the lips are moving and the audio is catching up.....

I haven't had the pleasure of needing one, so I can't recommend one, but I'd say do a search on "the google" and see if there is a clear winner in the bunch.....this is one area not to skimp on the pennies.

YMMV

kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

2020 22' Caravel
San Mateo , California
Quote:
Thanks! I did go ahead and switch the original set with a smart version (LG 24LM520S-WU) so I’d be able to add things like sound bars etc. The original LG 24LJ4540 didn’t even have any audio out connections. Also, to me it’s a huge bonus that the new set is white with a grey bezel. It’s a terrific match for the cabinets and counters.

This is a great idea! Would you mind sharing a picture of how that new TV looks in your AS?
albizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Sure, here you go :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old TV.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	355342   Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	355343  

Old 10-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would pass the audio back through the Blu-Ray to the stereo. It would be awesome if it did so the TV and Blu-Ray would both work on the Aux port. The extractor I found online was the highest rated of its type. I'm split between trying that or just buying a long RCA cable and using it when I want it.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
in my 22fb sport, i placed the blue ray, tv streamer , small PC etc in the area above the fridge.

then i just run a good quality audio cable to the RCVR above the sink.

its easy to run cable behind the upper cabinet.
just use those long flexible plastic tubes to hide the cable above the fridge area
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #18
New Airstreamer

2020 22' Caravel
Somerville , Ohio
Well, RCA cables don't work. The composite connections on the TV are input only. Guess I'll do the converter thing. At least the audio head unit was easy to pop out.

On the plus side, she did good on her shakedown weekend :-) We need to find a way to cushion the water pipes while the pump is running. They're pretty noisy, but that's a topic for another thread
Old 11-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I replaced the speakers to get better sound out of the radio/iPhone, but will opt for a small sound bar if/when I upgrade the tv. Running the wires and replacing the head unit is a more complicated solution.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , tx
We just picked up our 20FB Caravel this weekend. I've already pulled the radio cabinet. Behind it was an old school CoAxial cable connected to nothing that was marked radio. Not sure if that is a line that goes over to the TV or not that could be used for return sound back to the radio.

I bet you could get a Bluetooth transmitter on the back of your new TV and have your JL connect to the TV via bluetooth audio.
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue...dp/B07JJCZ3WL/

I just purchased the Digital to RCA converter and a USB power cord for it so that I can run the DVD audio through the Stereo using the AUX in. I wanted a USB power cord plugged into the front of the DVD so that the converter only powers on when I power on the DVD player. I don't want a small power gremlin behind the radio box always on when we boondock.

This is what I bought to make DVD audio come out of JL stereo.
Digital converter. Note that you need to use a Yellow "video" type RCA cable that is 75 Ohms for the orange to orange optical connections.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSB1MLX/

Right angle plug to come out of front of DVD player and go back behind wood to converter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WMF7JUA

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel

« New 2020 Caravels | Top | - »