Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
Nest Refrigerator

Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a Nest. We have thinned our selection down to a Nest or a Little Guy Max. One thing that we really like about the Max is is 3 way fridge. I was told by an Airstream rep months ago that the Nest refrigerator will run off batteries for 4 days. This would be great if it is realistic, as we can run a generator at night to top the batteries back up.

I know in my current refrigerator (Dutcmen T@B 2007), running on batteries can only really work while I'm towing the trailer. If I tried to run on batteries while dry camping, the battery would be dead in less than an hour.

Any real world tests out there from current owners concerning claims about the fridge running for 4 days on DC?

Thanks!
xmeneric
xmeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are two batteries, and the fridge has a 12v compressor driven system. That system is much more efficient than a 12v heating element.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
Overlander63,

I entirely understand that, conceptually. But, before making a purchase of a $45,000 camper, I would like to understand if anyone has any real world tests on it.

xmeneric
Old 10-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Jamestown , Ohio
I just purchased a Nest and still going through all the manuals. I am also curious how long the fridge will run off the batteries. I am planning on testing it, I will post the results when I get a chance.
buzzkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
Thanks Buzzkill58.... Looking forward to hearing back! Thank you!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
While I don't have a Nest nor a Norcold (Thetford) T1090, I do have a compressor fridge (slightly larger) with the same danfoss compressor setup. It is rated for a 4.5 amp draw and would have a 50% duty cycle. Through normal use, you should see a 60-75 amp hour drawdown of the battery per day (approx 20-25 overnight) this model has a night mode so you may be able to get slightly lower numbers.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
RandyNH,

Thanks for the information. Seems like I would only be able to run the fridge for one day, given what you've said? Forgive my ignorance. I'm sure I can do 10 mins of reading to completely understand how long the fridge could operate based on your answer, but for some reason I just haven't admitted to myself yet that this is something I need to know. lol

xmeneric
Old 10-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairfield , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmeneric View Post

I know in my current refrigerator (Dutcmen T@B 2007), running on batteries can only really work while I'm towing the trailer. If I tried to run on batteries while dry camping, the battery would be dead in less than an hour.
I, too, own a 2007 T@B. I have the 12v fridge and I can camp a weekend on battery. If your battery healthy? I usually turn it off during the night, and don't run other 12v items. I use string battery lights.
Bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
I have the 3 way fridge in my T@B. Far less efficient on battery than your 2 way.

Anyway ....has anyone had the chance to put the nest refrigerator to a real-life test on battery for a couple of days?

xmeneric
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #10

2019 Nest
Redwood Valley , California
I own a 2019 Airstream Nest. We just took it out for it's maiden voyage this past weekend.

I'm afraid I can't verify that the refrigerator will run for 4 days on 12 volt DC power, as we hooked up to shore power at the park we stayed at.

But, I did turn on the refrigerator the night before we left to cool it down for our trip. The battery was reading 12.2 volts when I turned on the refrigerator in the evening and it was reading 12.0 volts the next morning when we were getting ready to leave. I had it running in "night mode" which runs more efficiently.

So, I would say it really might be possible to run it for 4 days on DC power, depending on how hot it is.

The refrigerator is a Norcold 12 volt only refrigerator.
Scoldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Erie , PA
Thank you! And you weren't plugged in at home, correct?

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #12

2019 Nest
Redwood Valley , California
Correct. No shore power - just running off the batteries. I was running it on a setting of 3 (out of 5) in night mode. The refrigerator is very quiet and although it looks pretty small, it actually holds a pretty good quantity of stuff.
Scoldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Tucson , AZ
New nest owner

Have only owned the Nest for a few days but absolutely love it and the excellent follow up by Airstream. I will begin to report on it moving forward.
FYI it tows beautifully behind my 2019Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 6 cylinder engine. Trucks passing do not affect it. It's a standard hitch setup and I tow it between 62-65 mph. Can't wait to get it on the road. More later.
Clarke318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Torrance , California
We have a 2019 Airstream Nest. We have dry camped in it with the fridge and furnace running overnight with no issues. Used a solar battery charger during the day. Battery never dropped below 12.0V
Rknobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Half Moon Bay , California
Hi. I have about 10 trips under the belt dry camping with my Nest and I'm fairly certain it uses about 30Ah per 24h day. That includes some fairly warm air temperatures in southern California deserts. I use a 120 W portable solar panel to easily replenish the amp hours daily.
Glass Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
So 30 Ah/day would be about 3 days of dry camping with the stock Nest batteries, which have a 50% drawdown of about 85 Ah.

John
Glass Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
does the fridge accumulate ice on the back wall? have you joined nest airstream owners and lovers on facebook?
Tyathensga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyathensga View Post
does the fridge accumulate ice on the back wall? have you joined nest airstream owners and lovers on facebook?
Hi. No ice on the back wall. There is a refrigerator-wide plastic trough that catches water running down the back wall, and there is sometimes water in it.

As to Facebook, it never dawned on me to sign up for a Nest page, but I will. The pace of Facebook posts is a little faster than I ordinarily go. Best..
Old 09-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
StreaminDreamTeam

2018 Nest
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
When it hasn’t fallen off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmeneric View Post
I have the 3 way fridge in my T@B. Far less efficient on battery than your 2 way.

Anyway ....has anyone had the chance to put the nest refrigerator to a real-life test on battery for a couple of days?

xmeneric
... our fridge lasts for 48 hours max dry camping/boondocking.
Nesty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
In case you haven’t seen it, there’s an interesting thread about the 2020 Caravels coming with 12v Refrigerators like the one in the NEST.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...-s-202565.html

As part of that disscusion I posted some amp measurements that I made on the NORCOLD N1090 in our NEST, which you may find useful in estimating the limits to boon docking with a stock NEST.

To summarize…
* The amps used by the NORCOLD N1090 is the same wether or not it is hooked up to shore power.
* The fridge in a NEST running at a 25% duty cycle (with no other electrical usage) would draw down the 2 stock group 24 Interstate 12v batteries to a safe cutoff level in roughly 4 days. So a practical limit to boon-docking in a stock NEST in mild weather with fully charged batteries and very conservative electrical usage is probably 3 days. For more details…

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post2305930

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post2306171
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote