Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #101

Austin , Texas
What about the bed size - Bambi 16' vs Nest Beds

Considering the tradeoff in bed size on the Bambi 16' vs the Nest. Tried out both over the weekend and not too sure about a 4' wide bed for two people. Can you really get a good-night sleep with two people in that bed?

Full disclosure, we're "small-medium" sized people, but do enjoy a king bed so a little unsure about a 4'-wide mattress.

The Nest body is narrower by a foot, but the bed is queen-size, even on the version with the convertible bead up front.

If you had to choose, would the narrower bed on the Bambi flip would-be purchasers to the Nest?

So wish the bed on the 16' was a foot wider, it'd be a no brainer to purchase a used 16' Bambi.

Thanks,
bkreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #102
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ditto, what Uncle Bob said. It took me a few years to figure out exactly what would work for me. I started by looking at Class A and ruled those out pretty quickly because they were just too honking big bit I didn’t want something I would out grow in a year or two. I just didn’t like the quality of the big 5th wheelers. Finally narrowed it down to AS. Then which model? Sat in everything from the 23 footers to the 30. Decided on the Classic.
There no way to say which model is best. It really has to be an individual choice and IMO, it takes time. Looking at pictures and drawings of floor plans just doesn’t work very well, me?, I gotta sit in it, lay down on the bed, step into the head, etc.
If I were going to purchase a Nest, I think the dinette model would be the most practical and most comfortable to relax in.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #103
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
This is only an Airstream , because they slapped an Airstream sticker on it . Remember the big debate from several years ago when a group of WBCCI members wanted non Airstream class A's to be allowed, twice it was voted down. If Thor had re-branded one of their Class A's with Airstream sticker do you think that would have accepted by the members?I know that Wally tried a fiberglass model but for whatever reason they were discontinued and the iconic Airstream is ALUMINUM . The only reason for the Nest is for Thor industries to make more money, plus they are as ugly as sin and way overpriced.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
The only reason for the Nest is for Thor industries to make more money, plus they are as ugly as sin and way overpriced.
Gary
The only reason any company builds any trailer is to make money. I probably wouldn't spend that much on any trailer, but I do think they look nice!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
This is only an Airstream , because they slapped an Airstream sticker on it . Remember the big debate from several years ago when a group of WBCCI members wanted non Airstream class A's to be allowed, twice it was voted down. If Thor had re-branded one of their Class A's with Airstream sticker do you think that would have accepted by the members?I know that Wally tried a fiberglass model but for whatever reason they were discontinued and the iconic Airstream is ALUMINUM . The only reason for the Nest is for Thor industries to make more money, plus they are as ugly as sin and way overpriced.

Gary

Well - let's consider the fact that a 2012 (like mine) is a wide body - not like the traditional look of the AS - so perhaps my trailer shouldn't be welcomed?

And then there's the Argosy. Sure, it's aluminum - but it's (deep breath) PAINTED! We shouldn't allow those in the club either, right?

Skydecks - class A's? C'mon now?

And those Mercedes Benz vans? Those aren't purist Airstreams - right?

If Airstream slaps their name on it - I don't care what it looks like - it's an Airstream.

You can create a group dedicated to just your trailer. But to belong to the club, all that's required is ownership of an Airstream product and your financial dues.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Nest

Is there only "One" Sink in the Nest ? None in wet Bath?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
To me it seems like the Nest optimized for full-hookup situations. With only a single small propane tank, electric-only fridge, and combined grey and blank tanks (30 gal total.) Personally I'd look at the all-aluminum Camplites (another Thor company) for $10K+ less unless boondocking wasn't of interest.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
No bath sink shown in floor plan:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...est/floorplan/

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #109
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:

Gary
There is a Class A Airstream - it's called a Winnebago Horizon.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #110
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hi

..... also none in the Nest

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

..... also none in the Nest

Bob
This confuses me. Did my AS link open up the floor plan for the Nest, which shows no sink in the bath in either model? [In response to Knunut's question.]

Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #112

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that the Airstream Nest is a very nice looking small travel trailer. It is even cuter than a Casita. It appears to be well made. It is a little pricey, but that's the way things go.

As far as the Nest NOT being an Airstream, I think that it is a much an Airstream as an Interstate, Land Yacht motor home, or a Square Stream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #113
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, if Airstream says it’s an Airstream, that’s what it is. Every single product they build and sell is built for one thing: to make money. Best get over that complaint right now, or switch to that non-profit RV manufacturer’s brand that some folks seem believe may exist out there somewhere.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I think that the Airstream Nest is a very nice looking small travel trailer. It is even cuter than a Casita. It appears to be well made. It is a little pricey, but that's the way things go.

As far as the Nest NOT being an Airstream, I think that it is a much an Airstream as an Interstate, Land Yacht motor home, or a Square Stream.

Brian
I sat in the Nest couple weeks back, and I also owned a Casita for a couple years; think the Nest felt too narrow with the way they configured it with bath adjacent to the closet, compared to the Casita where the bath and closet were up front horizontal to the hitch; it just seemed a lot wider. Casita did have a sink in the bath, the Casita Spirit Delux model had/has separate dinning and a king bed could be configured in the rear, which we had, and it was also <$20K. Don't get me wrong, the Nest looks very nice and like the Basecamp, I am sure they will find a following.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
. . .
. . . the Nest looks very nice and like the Basecamp, I am sure they will find a following.
I’ll take that bet. IMO the sales of both models will be disappointing in the eyes of the parent company Thor, and one or both will be dropped or seriously redesigned, just like the old “Base Camp” was abandoned.

As shown in the Simple Survey thread, the Basecamp’s fridge still does not perform dependably in all kinds of weather, notably very hot in the sun.

With all the similar competitors out there, the Nest is overpriced IMO.

Time will tell . . .

Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #116

Visited a Nest at the Airstream dealer in Covington, WA, a while ago.

Very nice, very cute. Very small. In the right situations, that small size could be a real asset.

Yes, there's a step-up ledge in the floor where the dinette area starts. There's some kind of vent in that vertical area, not sure why. Heat? Tripped on that ledge three times while touring the unit.

No sink in the bathroom, which is kind of a turn-off for those who like to wash up before leaving.

Extremely narrow fridge for the height. Never saw one that shape before.

Given the size, it seems to have a surprisingly large amount of storage, in relative terms.

Awning is nice, but it's electric. The electric feature is a big negative in my mind. The trailer is so small that you shouldn't be wasting limited battery power on an electric awning. It is more likely to break down than a manual awning. It's so small, the awning couldn't take more than a minute to deploy even if you used a hand crank.

Probably overpriced, but it's an Airstream, so get over that right now.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good points, incl. the electric-only awning.

What?

At least the Nest has 2 Group 24 batteries.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...nest/features/
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Visited a Nest at the Airstream dealer in Covington, WA, a while ago.

Very nice, very cute. Very small. In the right situations, that small size could be a real asset.

Yes, there's a step-up ledge in the floor where the dinette area starts. There's some kind of vent in that vertical area, not sure why. Heat? Tripped on that ledge three times while touring the unit.

No sink in the bathroom, which is kind of a turn-off for those who like to wash up before leaving.

Extremely narrow fridge for the height. Never saw one that shape before.

Given the size, it seems to have a surprisingly large amount of storage, in relative terms.

Awning is nice, but it's electric. The electric feature is a big negative in my mind. The trailer is so small that you shouldn't be wasting limited battery power on an electric awning. It is more likely to break down than a manual awning. It's so small, the awning couldn't take more than a minute to deploy even if you used a hand crank.

Probably overpriced, but it's an Airstream, so get over that right now.
Hey- was that a "guided tour" you were on when you tripped 3 times? Not sure it's big enough to trip more than once, let alone 3 times! LoL

I agree with the electric awning...and not sure I like rear door not being covered by the awning...time will tell how they do. I saw a guy just picking up an Interstate that said he was thinking about adding the Nest as a "second" bedroom towing behind his new Interstate when bringing along the grandkids...money must be no object for some...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Hey- was that a "guided tour" you were on when you tripped 3 times? Not sure it's big enough to trip more than once, let alone 3 times! LoL

I agree with the electric awning...and not sure I like rear door not being covered by the awning...time will tell how they do. I saw a guy just picking up an Interstate that said he was thinking about adding the Nest as a "second" bedroom towing behind his new Interstate when bringing along the grandkids...money must be no object for some...

No guided tour, as there was no room in there for both me and the guide!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #120

Denver , Colorado
Nest Shell Fabricated by AS?

Does anyone happen to know if the Nest fiberglass shell is fabricated by Airstream or do they hire this out to a 3rd party?

Is the original Nest company in Bend, Oregon involved at all with production?

Looked at the Nest and the 16' Sport recently and like the overall layout of the Nest 16U. For my needs, the functional layout and features are just right as there is more storage and counter space than the Sport.

The price.... well um, that will take a bit of time & budgeting if I decide to take the plunge on this crazy idea of trailer ownership.
Millie Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote