Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Salisbury , North Carolina
Nest audio system installation?

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and considering a Nest. Our biggest holdup is the lack of an audio system. I know, true campers don't need an audio system, but there are times when it is nice to have some relaxing music playing. We have been looking at a Lance 1475 which comes complete with a full audio system including interior and exterior speakers, a TV with a DVD drive, and a rooftop HD antenna, none of which are in the base Nest.

Has anyone tried adding AV equipment to their Nest? I have never owned an RV and don't know how hard it is to run wiring and mount speakers. My concern is that it could be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to install a nice system.

Your thoughts?
AndrewNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
If your pondering putting in car speakers I would say forget it as the depth of them would exceed the thickness of the roof in most cases.

Adding say a 3 piece set would be easy if you used some mounting brackets. Something like Klipsh or Bose's.

You would be suprised also at how good sound bars are and portable ones Some are fairly large like the upper end JBL charge and can fill a whole room with pretty loud music.

The nest has a area to install a TV it wouldnt be hard at all to add a antenna and run it though.

I think the Nest did not come with any of that as most news articles say they demographic for that are upper range of millennials. If you have encountered any of them you'll notice most don't watch tv, listen to music on headphones, glued to their phones and a laptop with ripped off downloaded movies suffices for their movie watching and hardly any have or ever intend to watch TV in a traditional manner.

I would also suggest if your camping where you get cell phone and have a unlimited plan tether a streaming device to your TV...Amazon Fire, Google Chrome, Apple TV are some of the many options.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Salisbury , North Carolina
The best place to add speakers is in the side cabinets that run the length of the unit. Installing the speakers is easy, running wires to them not-so-easy! A Sonos wireless setup may be the only feasible route. Adding outside speakers below the canopy would be a additional bonus!

I spoke with our local Airstream dealer about installing an HD antenna on the roof and they said "no way!" Rather than individual coax connectors for both satellite and cable as currently configured, it would have been much better to have one cab/sat connector and the other connector going to a rooftop HD antenna. Streaming video is fine when internet is available and strong, but an HD antenna will work in many places where internet is a fantasy.

Hopefully Airstream will realize there is a market for this and either add AV functionality or offer it as an option...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	325612  
AndrewNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
Our experience is that getting a portable Bose Bluetooth speaker gives that little trailer a lot of quality sound and keeps things simple. You can Bluetooth movies, radio, whatever. Highly recommend this simple option.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
we went portable and others have ideas on nest airstream owners and lovers on facebook
Tyathensga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
New Airstream User

2019 Nest
PENSACOLA , Florida
I would simply just bring a portable blue tooth speaker. You would save a ton of money and you can get a very high quality speaker that would do more than enough, AND you can take it outside!
Blount-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Oregon City , OR
Took the good advice about a Bose portable speaker, and went with the Soundlink Mini. Wow! Unbelievably good sound in the Nest!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bose.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	362800  
Tamarack is offline   Reply With Quote