Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Nest > Nest 2018 - Current
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Nest Picked up today and on its way.

So glad the unit is gone actually, I hope Airstream focuses on the build CC, they really need to step up thAir game. I will say I'm not giving up on Airstream as a good company, and will see if it's true. I do know for sure if they make me the offer of a brand new 2019 16 sport with black interior I will jump at it. After this whole Nest experience I just think they need to hammer down the fiberglass process and until then I have to pass on another nest. Fixing what I had is really not an option as it will never be right from what I have been told and after reading information online about the process. I will say though I do like the whole streamlined modern looks of the Nest. It's just not in my cards this time.
iCjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
No Memorial Day weekend camping for me.

Was hoping, oh well... Have not recieved any updates from Airstream about a replacement unit. I hope they don't think for a second I will settle for anything less than a new camper.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
ERRR!! Airstreams new lineup is making me crazy.

Now that I have seen the new Caravel 16, I know I want one for sure, they have also changed the NEST, the first thing I noticed was that the front window of the 2020 nest does not rap around the unit anymore and is rather a square-ish style window. I personally don't like it. The caravel compared to the sport 16 has back windows that wrap around the sleeping area, nice for waking up to a view. The caravel also has front rock guards, ok that's nice. So now I'm torn Sport 2019 or Carvel 2020. about the same I do like the sport for having no windows on the back side provides more protection from freaky peeking people. Also better insulated from weather. Although the Caravel is very snazzy. Also still no words from Airstream about what they will offer me. I'm starting to getting worried...
Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
none , none
Nest Unit still not looked at

Ahh yup I called, and was told they have not looked at the unit yet, very busy time for them, they said next week. I'm really getting depressed now. so sad..
Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Flower Mound , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCjay View Post
Ahh yup I called, and was told they have not looked at the unit yet, very busy time for them, they said next week. I'm really getting depressed now. so sad..
So sorry you’re not getting the quick resolution hoped for. I am very interested in seeing the specs for the new Bambis and Caravels coming out next Monday 6/3. When I talked to a dealer, they said 16’ and 19’ will be available in both so hoping I’ll have more options for what my vehicle can tow.

I agree with you tho, the double windows in the Caravel look awesome. I’m sure that line will be priced much higher than Nest, BC or Bambi.
SubaruLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
That is not repairable. Yes you can patch and paint over but it WILL come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCjay View Post
Here are some photos of the roof of my nest. I just noticed them when washing. What should I do? Is this just cosmetic? Is this serious? I have not even had the unit out on the road. The Nest seems to be cracking like an egg.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFjktE9JkC8gdUPz7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ARvV8w92mQGSz5Bg6
Thats is definitely not repairable. It will come back even worse. Did you get a new unit?
Tyathensga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Faded Love?

Fading Love?

Hello fellow nest owner and lover.we also love our nest and we also have concerns. We are like you in the fact that we absolutely love the nest. At every gas station, grocery store, campground, rest area etc we have spent countless hours showing off the nest. However we are experiencing more and more questions about the very visible fiberglass cracks. Thankfully our entry door has not been popping open but we do have a crack developing at the latch so who knows what will happen there. We too have many issues involving the purchased components of the airstream, door falling off fridge, bath exhaust not working, defective window shade etc. All of these repairs along with loose screws, loose trim, screen door not staying shut, etc we are not overly concerned about as the dealer and airstream appear to have no problem attempting to replace or repair.
Our big concerns are
1) Multiple cracks appearing and growing in fiberglass. We noted to salesperson upon purchase a few small short cracks in fiberglass and was told to make a list and come back that is has 3 year warranty. Since then those small cracks have grown into very long cracks and it is my understanding they will continue to grow. Along with that many many more cracks have appeared all over the unit from the front around the lp cover to the back around the doors the top above the door and underneath all over. These cracks continue to appear and grow. The dealer had our unit 3 months last year and returned it with paint being applied over some of the cracks which which of course immediately started appearing through the paint and continue to grow. In December we requested to bring it back in but as of today no approval from airstream. We store our nest in a climate controlled garage at our home. Imagine if it set out in the weather, sun, rain, snow, ice, heat, cold...
2) Leaking windshield front window. On our first trip we were caught in the rain and although we could not find water we could smell it. After returning home I removed cushions and covers under dinette. Floor at front was wet. Lowered front of camper with tognue jack and water came running out from under floor decking to very front under window. A lot of water was and is trapped under the floor decking. I concluded that it must be coming from window so i ran my fingers around the big front window. 3 corners appeared to be fairly tight against the shell the lower right corner i could put my fingers up into even feel where the seal was not meeting the shell. I stuck a water hose there and sure enough water was pouring in. Upon our repair visit i showed this to the dealer. The approved fix was a bead of silicone in that corner. We used the nest once since then and of course it rained and of course we have water under the floor at the dinette.

So... what to do? We cannot use our nest and we cannot get the dealer to repair because he cannot get authorization from airstream.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I hate to suggest this, but....LAWYER! I was in the boating world for decades and know fiberglass and gelcoat. There is no simple fix; it was not constructed properly.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #29
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyathensga View Post
Fading Love?

Hello fellow nest owner and lover.we also love our nest and we also have concerns. We are like you in the fact that we absolutely love the nest. At every gas station, grocery store, campground, rest area etc we have spent countless hours showing off the nest. However we are experiencing more and more questions about the very visible fiberglass cracks. Thankfully our entry door has not been popping open but we do have a crack developing at the latch so who knows what will happen there. We too have many issues involving the purchased components of the airstream, door falling off fridge, bath exhaust not working, defective window shade etc. All of these repairs along with loose screws, loose trim, screen door not staying shut, etc we are not overly concerned about as the dealer and airstream appear to have no problem attempting to replace or repair.
Our big concerns are
1) Multiple cracks appearing and growing in fiberglass. We noted to salesperson upon purchase a few small short cracks in fiberglass and was told to make a list and come back that is has 3 year warranty. Since then those small cracks have grown into very long cracks and it is my understanding they will continue to grow. Along with that many many more cracks have appeared all over the unit from the front around the lp cover to the back around the doors the top above the door and underneath all over. These cracks continue to appear and grow. The dealer had our unit 3 months last year and returned it with paint being applied over some of the cracks which which of course immediately started appearing through the paint and continue to grow. In December we requested to bring it back in but as of today no approval from airstream. We store our nest in a climate controlled garage at our home. Imagine if it set out in the weather, sun, rain, snow, ice, heat, cold...
2) Leaking windshield front window. On our first trip we were caught in the rain and although we could not find water we could smell it. After returning home I removed cushions and covers under dinette. Floor at front was wet. Lowered front of camper with tognue jack and water came running out from under floor decking to very front under window. A lot of water was and is trapped under the floor decking. I concluded that it must be coming from window so i ran my fingers around the big front window. 3 corners appeared to be fairly tight against the shell the lower right corner i could put my fingers up into even feel where the seal was not meeting the shell. I stuck a water hose there and sure enough water was pouring in. Upon our repair visit i showed this to the dealer. The approved fix was a bead of silicone in that corner. We used the nest once since then and of course it rained and of course we have water under the floor at the dinette.
So... what to do? We cannot use our nest and we cannot get the dealer to repair because he cannot get authorization from airstream.
Hi Tyathensga,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having with your Nest. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team and learn more. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I know fiberglass and gelcoat pretty well. I wouldn't say this is non-repairable, but the repair is a total b*tch and it's not cheap or simple. The fact that several of you are experiencing this tells me that it's a problem with the production--probably lay up in the mold. The good news is that this is the very first time I've ever seen Airstream customer service respond to a customer service complaint on AirForums. Maybe they're learning from the ongoing Demco hitch problem that being up front and addressing problems publicly is good marketing. You can always hope.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Surprised here also. I will be very happy to post that they took care of me!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Thanks for the reply. A Lawyer would be my last resort but if you have a unit you cant use and you cant sell or trade in what options do you have. Hoping AS will step up given the chance.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Thanks for the very quick response AS!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #34

Simpsonville , South Carolina
Gel Coat issue before taking delivery

I put a deposit on a NEW 2019 Nest and was suppose to pick it up this past Friday but received a call from the dealer stating that they found cracks in the Gel Coat and tried to repair them but the results
weren't satisfactory.

They are trying to find a local shop that will produce a better result.

My concerns:

1. Is this a minor cosmetic issue or a composite structural issue.

2. Can I expect to see additional Gel Coat issues.

3. Will the repair be obvious.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions, experiences, or recommendations.
dwb72862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Run away! Repairing gelcoat cracks means it was not done properly in the mold. You will only have more problems in the future. It does not appear that Airstream learned how to do this right.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #36

Simpsonville , South Carolina
Thanks for the advice Larry.
dwb72862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Run don’t walk

Exact thing happened to me. I made the mistake of purchasing a unit with gel coat cracks. I showed the cracks To the salesperson and was assured 3 yr warranty would take care of it. They had it 3 months last year and repairs were noticeable. Within weeks those cracks were back and bigger along with new cracks. I requested a new repair in December 2019 and as of today February 2020 no response. Along with that I have a leaking a/c unit and a leaking front window making my nest unusable. I have to keep it in the garage. We have been able to use the nest twice since owning almost a year now I have another post on this subject in this forum and we also are on a Facebook page nest airstream owners and lovers. I have been told by local repair shops that it is impossible to repair my gel coat cracks where that you cannot see repair and they will always come back. I hope you don’t make the same mistake I did. Also I read a lady post that airstream had refused her crack repairs claiming it to be “normal “
Old 02-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyathensga View Post
Exact thing happened to me. I made the mistake of purchasing a unit with gel coat cracks. I showed the cracks To the salesperson and was assured 3 yr warranty would take care of it. They had it 3 months last year and repairs were noticeable. Within weeks those cracks were back and bigger along with new cracks. I requested a new repair in December 2019 and as of today February 2020 no response. Along with that I have a leaking a/c unit and a leaking front window making my nest unusable. I have to keep it in the garage. We have been able to use the nest twice since owning almost a year now I have another post on this subject in this forum and we also are on a Facebook page nest airstream owners and lovers. I have been told by local repair shops that it is impossible to repair my gel coat cracks where that you cannot see repair and they will always come back. I hope you don’t make the same mistake I did. Also I read a lady post that airstream had refused her crack repairs claiming it to be “normal “
Call AND email Airstream in Jackson Center OH immediately, Cite every failure by the dealer and clearly state that you have a."loss of use" issue. Arrange to take the unit to JC for inspection. Be civil and firm. Your guarantee is running out every day you do not act. You may be able get the factory to replace the Nest.

Send me a PM with your phone number.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Posts and threads may disappear because the content.is un-genteel. They also go byebye when litigation is involved. Especially when there is a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement. That does not imply that the buyer was not made whole and is still unhappy. They just don't want every minor complaint turning into a trade in.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Call AND email Airstream in Jackson Center OH immediately, Cite every failure by the dealer and clearly state that you have a."loss of use" issue. Arrange to take the unit to JC for inspection. Be civil and firm. Your guarantee is running out every day you do not act. You may be able get the factory to replace the Nest.

Send me a PM with your phone number.
Thanks for the advice. When I posted the "faded love" comment you can see where airstream replied and asked for more info. I did respond with info but as on now I have heard nothing. The dealer i have no doubt wishes to repair my unit but cannot get airstream approval for whatever reason. i honestly believe that the gel coat can never be repaired as the stress cracks immediately came back after the first repair attempt and are longer and show no signs of slowing down. There are also new cracks appearing. This is with my unit sitting in a climate controlled garage. What would happen if it were out in the elements of hot sun and ice? I just want them instead of spending thousands to repair my unit again just to let me trade into a new unit. Not a buyback just a trade. we love the nest and camping season is drawing nigh. we have had to cancel a couple of planned trips already.
The stress cracks doesnt prevent us from using the camper but the leaking ac unit and front window do. these are not minor leaks. the ac unit leak wets the headliner and the floor quickly and heavily. the front window leak runs down the inside of the front and goes under the subfloor and into the wiring. when you tilt the tongue of the trailer down it runs from under the subflloor. these are bad leaks and have caused a musty moldy smell in the unit.