Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Tommy Bahama Ice Maker

We have had our Tommy Bahama AS for just over a year now and when we wish to use the icemaker we just assumed you removed it from its drawer, placed it on the bar, filled it with water and turned it on.

Today while digging around in the deep depths of the bar (completely need a new post for WHY I was futzing around under there), I noticed there is a third outlet underneath the bar with nothing plugged into it.

Think, think, think.

I was able to plug the ice maker into the third outlet. Now the ice maker will stay in the drawer and make its ice and we will have reclaimed a lot of extra bar space!

Here are some pictures on how I routed the cord:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	347608

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	347609

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	347610

Are we the only ones who’s ice maker was not already plugged in this way?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Tommy Bahama Ice Maker

Inspired by the tommy Bahama setup we built an ice maker into the wardrobe closet which was converted to a pantry (international serenity). It gets hot in there to run well unless you vent.

We did two things:

1. Added a fan to draw air in and vent into the open space below the cabinet

2. After we realized that was not enough, we then Cut the bottom part of the wardrobe door off, and added some clips. It can close up while traveling or we can remove a Lowe square portion of the door when Parked exposing the ice maker and providing ventilation. This was the most effective mod. (Not pictured in the photo - this was pre ‘hack the door’)

Don’t just close it up in there it will get too hot and wont be able to product good ice. At least that’s what we found... ice machine temp was hitting over 100 degrees

Just a tip!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	347611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	347612  

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	347613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	347614  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Inspired by the tommy Bahama setup we built an ice maker into the wardrobe closet which was converted to a pantry (international serenity). It gets hot in there to run well unless you vent.

We did two things:

1. Added a fan to draw air in and vent into the open space below the cabinet

2. After we realized that was not enough, we then Cut the bottom part of the wardrobe door off, and added some clips. It can close up while traveling or we can remove a Lowe square portion of the door when Parked exposing the ice maker and providing ventilation. This was the most effective mod. (Not pictured in the photo - this was pre ‘hack the door’)

Don’t just close it up in there it will get too hot and wont be able to product good ice. At least that’s what we found... ice machine temp was hitting over 100 degrees

Just a tip!

Very nice! We have an Opal as well and would take it with us not for the built in ice maker in the TB. I am a nugget ice snob!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Shameless

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Rockledge , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to jefflee1
Hello with a quick question: Our TB plug won't clear the side space - did you do anything special to "get it to fit through" or "brute force it"?

And I'd be very interested on why you found the plug in the first place... thanks for the dilligence

Thanks!

Jeff
jefflee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Tommy Bahama Ice Maker

I did have to force it quite a bit to get it to fit through the hole.

We found it because, believe it or not, I had the top of the bar taken off. We were performing exploratory surgery on the bar to find the best way to remove the wine bottle holders. The solution to removing them ended up being a saws all. [emoji851] Meaning we cut the wine bottle holders out.

This also goes to show how dearly I love my wife who wanted them gone. I lost that discussion and found that the bar cabinet is very well made.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I did have to force it quite a bit to get it to fit through the hole.
Thanks to this great tip, we went a slightly different route. We removed both of the upper drawers so we had good access to the back of the bar compartment. Then (with just barely enough room) we were able squeeze in a drill with a circular hole cutter attachment to cut a hole directly behind the partisan of that middle drawer with a 1.0" attachment. (There's no wires directly below to worry about). They it was super easy to thread the plug through and access that "discovered" outlet.

Popping out the drawers is easy, pull them out and at the finished end there are two finger pulls you depress and they left right out. To re-install, you just fully extend the two guides and lower the drawers back on them and they'll click back in.

Since the fan for the ice maker is towards the kitchen, we've found all you need to do is leave the drawer cracked open about 1/2" and it gets plenty of airflow without being in the way!

Thanks for the OP for the idea! The entire job took maybe 20 minutes!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote