Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
First trip

We picked up our 19 tommy a couple weeks ago. First trip out this weekend. What a change from our old caravel! After the batteries not even lasting the ride home(10.2 volts even though I specifically asked if they were checked before we picked up) and a mysterious water leak from the RR corner by the dump valves, we still had a great time. What a fun little trailer. Made the wife crazy by ringing the doorbell every time I came in so that's fun too! I have to mention that I think those chairs that come with the trailer have to be the most comfortable folding camp chairs I've ever been in. And a big shout out to the cheap harbor freight generator that was shockingly quiet, kept us cool. Only thing I want to change is making the fans bidirectional but not a big deal. Cheers! Click image for larger version

Name:	aviary-image-1534109266590.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	319726
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Sounds like a fun trip and a bottle of Pliny tops it off nicely!
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
Congrat's on your trailer, we love ours....we experienced battery issues as well. I suspect it's the quality of the batteries themselves... Happy Trails.
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
North Bend , Washington
Nice! We have been working the bugs out of ours too but we love it.
ESC2SNTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
It’s always an adventure!! We only ring the doorbell every now and then.. makes me giggle every time though
LindaLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
Does your table tilt towards the front of the trailer? Mine does and I can't figure out how to get it level. Lol
Old 09-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
Does your table tilt towards the front of the trailer? Mine does and I can't figure out how to get it level. Lol

Table should be level. Might be worth taking the two legs off and making sure everything goes back together correctly and that the legs are screwed in all the way.

If you can also post pictures if you still have the issue.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
On the 19 there is only one leg and there doesn't appear to be an adjustment
Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkensloth View Post
We picked up our 19 tommy a couple weeks ago. First trip out this weekend. What a change from our old caravel! After the batteries not even lasting the ride home(10.2 volts even though I specifically asked if they were checked before we picked up) and a mysterious water leak from the RR corner by the dump valves, we still had a great time. What a fun little trailer. Made the wife crazy by ringing the doorbell every time I came in so that's fun too! I have to mention that I think those chairs that come with the trailer have to be the most comfortable folding camp chairs I've ever been in. And a big shout out to the cheap harbor freight generator that was shockingly quiet, kept us cool. Only thing I want to change is making the fans bidirectional but not a big deal. Cheers! Attachment 319726
As you probably know, the dealer doesn't always maintain the batteries and lets them go below the 50% level. If you have interstate batteries, look up an Interstate store and they will check them and replace them. They did for me with no questions ask. You can go back to the dealer, but he may have started all this.

I don't know where the AC drip hose is on a 19, but could that be the leak? You didn't say exactly where the water was coming from. Underneath? Down the side? Out of the pan?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkreis View Post
I don't remember noticing the table being sloped at all. Although I probably wouldn't have noticed but I know my wife would have and she doesn't recall anything like that. But now I'm going to put the level on it when we take it out this weekend.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
As you probably know, the dealer doesn't always maintain the batteries and lets them go below the 50% level. If you have interstate batteries, look up an Interstate store and they will check them and replace them. They did for me with no questions ask. You can go back to the dealer, but he may have started all this.

I don't know where the AC drip hose is on a 19, but could that be the leak? You didn't say exactly where the water was coming from. Underneath? Down the side? Out of the pan?
The batteries got exchanged for me at the dealer. No apologies or real concern. Only blaming interstate for the problem. He did however tell me that to "fix my problem" I needed to buy 700 dollars worth of different batteries. Keep in mind, picked it up three days prior. I asked him how new batteries now would fix his guys not doing there job beforehand. He started making things up about batteries and I semi-politely told him I have been an auto mechanic for over 20 years and he could just stop. It wasn't a very comfortable exchange. You've got to have a big set of balls to try and tell someone the trailer they just spent a whole bunch of money on has junk parts and they need to drop even more on it. He even tried to give me a set of failed core batteries. Thankfully the young lady behind the parts counter corrected him.

Ok rant over! As far as the leak, it's not the AC drain as I could see it draining. It's by the wheelwell. This leak is a bit further back and is fresh water. We are going out again this weekend so I'll try and check some more. There is a little rubber access panel right by where the leak is so maybe I'll be able to find it. Its street side by the waste valves. Definitely not coming down the outside. I just realized I have a phone with a camera. I'll take a photo! Leak drips very slowly about where I'm pointing. Hopefully it's not a big deal as we are taking 10 days and going up to oregon next month. Can't wait!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_182008.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	323797
Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Bainbridge Island , Washington
After we got our new TB 27 home in April we figured out one battery was bad. 200 miles away from the dealer so instead we took the battery to an Interstate store. They tested it and gave us a new battery no attitude and no cost. In and out in about 15 minutes.
pwlldvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Halfway through our oregon trip and it appears the leak is coming from the city water inlet on the street side. It got way worse when I hooked it up to fresh water. Still leaks when not hooked to city water and pump is on but not nearly as bad. For now I just turn the pump on when we need it and bleed the pressure off.

Here's something else. Anyone else's overhead cabinets not fitting great? All three of the overhead cabinets do not close all the way on one side. The inside square edges dont fit into the rounded corners on one side. I'll bring it up with the dealer when I bring it in for the water leak and the porch light flickers something crazy.

Oh. And the shower door! That sucker is almost impossible to get to latch and stay shut and pops open at the worst time.
I feel like it's due to a couple of screw caps not letting it sit flat but figured I'd see if anyone else had an issue. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_093302.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	325477
Old 10-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Stevenson Ranch , California
We have one or two doors that have a bit of a gap as well. And some crooked louvers. We've decided to accept them as beauty marks. The only two things we have on our list so far that we want fixed is a wicked floor squeak on one side of the bed, and the water heater not working on gas.
anlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I figured I would follow up a little regarding the issues we were having. A big shout out to the crew at bay area airstream for getting everything fixed and us back on the road. Not a bad Christmas view at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_152421001_1545797986107.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	330353  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Looks awesome! Where is that?
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon T. View Post
Looks awesome! Where is that?
One of our favorites. Limekiln SP. Dont think I would want to try a trailer much bigger than the 19 though. We even got to take the night time Christmas tour at hearst castle, it was awesome!