Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Three More 2018 Globetrotter Audio / Visual Modifications

I have three simple projects that I’d like to share with you all – someone might benefit from my learnings:
1. Multiple HDMI sources for two TV’s,
2. IR remote control with the bulkhead cupboard door closed, and
3. USB connected audio sources.
1. Multiple HDMI sources for two TV’s:
Last September, while staying in an RV site in Oceanside, CA with our daughters and grandson, my wife and I decided that we’d like to enjoy the same TV experience regardless of where we were, along with content choices beyond that provided RV park cable or available via OTA broadcasts. So after a bit of research, we decided that Dish was a good fit for us. So off to Camping World we went to purchase a Dish 271z receiver, (with IR remote control), and a Dish Tailgater antenna. Within about 30 minutes after getting back to the site, everything was up and running – and we had kid’s content as well as CNN. Then my wife asked if our grandson could we watch a DVD in the master bedroom. I quickly realized that this could become a recurring request – could we watch this input on that TV or both TV’s, etc.

So I replaced the Airstream-provider 1 input / 2 output HDMI splitter (located under the DVD player) with a 4 input / 2 output HDMI matrix switch, which allows any input to be sent to either or both HDMI outputs, for $50 from Amazon. I mounted the HDMI switch on top of the satellite receiver using Scotch Extreme Fasteners, for $3.50 from Lowes.

Now we can watch whatever source we want on either or both TVs. (e.g., we can watch the DVD on the bedroom TV and satellite TV on the main cabin TV, or satellite TV on both TV’s etc.)
2. IR remote control with the bulkhead cupboard door closed
I found it annoying to have to leave the bulkhead door open along with the glaring light, in order to be able to control the DVD player as well as the newly added satellite receiver and HDMI matrix switch – all which use IR for communication. So I researched various IR repeater solutions and settled on the BlastIR Pro IR repeater, which I purchased for $50 from Amazon. I also purchased an additional Receiver, so that we can control the Satellite receiver from our bedroom, for $25 from Amazon.

I mounted the Emitter on the speaker wall, above the speaker access panel, within the bulkhead as shown:

I placed a Receiver in the main cabin in the cutout shelf behind the TV, using the USB power outlet as shown:

And finally, I have temporarily installed the other Receiver in our bedroom. (The inverter outlet only has once receptacle, hence the three way adapter.) I will cut a notch in the TV mount so that I can use the TV’s USB socket to power the Receiver, and then will attach the receiver under the edge of the TV by the TV’s IR receiver.

Obviously, a simple solution, but it is more aesthetically pleasing to me rather than leaving the bulkhead door open along with the annoying glare of the compartment light – particularly at night
3. USB connected audio sources
Another GT owner posted a solution for selecting between the analog input that he installed to the right of the DVD player, and the line out from the TV.

I took a different tack – GT #1 came with the combo USB / 3.5mm line input jack already installed (Jensen JENAUX), and I knew that the Polk system has a couple of USB inputs. Conveniently, Airstream plugged the USB cable into the Polk USB input and chose, for some unknown reason, to cut off the line input cable – but that didn’t matter. BTW, there are inexpensive alternatives which should be functionally equivalent to the JENAUX, for $11 from Amazon.

The trick here is to use the finickity Polk iOS application to select the USB1 input:

In my opinion, the advantage of this approach is a digital input into the Polk, and the source device being charged while listening to it. :-)
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Thanks ddrg for mod #2. I didn't like having to leave the cabinet door open to use the DVD's remote control, especially since there is no way to turn the light off easily.

I have installed wired IR repeaters before. I didn't know wireless IR repeaters even existed, way easier to install. BlastIR Pro ordered!

Mod #3 has me a little confused. I understand what you were trying to accomplish but I don't understand the wiring you did. If you don't mind a little more detail would be appreciated.

Thanks for posting these mods, nice work.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post

Mod #3 has me a little confused. I understand what you were trying to accomplish but I don't understand the wiring you did. If you don't mind a little more detail would be appreciated.
The Polk Tuner / Amp module has a bunch of inputs, including USB. See page 7 in the PA4A manual at this link. On our Globetrotter, Airstream connected the USB input on the PA4A to the USB / linein receptacle, which is mounted to the right of the DVD player.

The Tuner / Amp Module is mounted under the DVD player. There are two screws on the right hand side edge of the DVD player cabinet, which holds the cabinet in place.

If your trailer does not have a USB receptacle installed, then you'll need to add one as I described previously.

USB operating instructions are on pages 19-20 of the PA4A manual.

I should have looked to see if I have a PA4A or a PA450UM - they both look the same. However, the PA450UM manual has explicit instructions for iPod mode on page 21 that the PA4A manual does not have. All I know is that the unit that we have supports iPod mode :-) You can find the PA450UM manual at this link.

Hope this helps... Duncan
Old 02-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Thanks Duncan, that clears things up. My GT has no USB plug next to the DVD player and I didn't know the PA4A's amp was under the DVD player. Should be an easy mod.

Another "prototype" difference with your GT apparently, I also noticed different light switches on the bedroom wall. Maybe you should refer to your trailer as a GTp
Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Duncan, that clears things up. My GT has no USB plug next to the DVD player and I didn't know the PA4A's amp was under the DVD player. Should be an easy mod.

Another "prototype" difference with your GT apparently, I also noticed different light switches on the bedroom wall. Maybe you should refer to your trailer as a GTp
GTp - good one! Yup - the only GT with firefly remote control - like the Classic used to have.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post

And finally, I have temporarily installed the other Receiver in our bedroom. (The inverter outlet only has once receptacle, hence the three way adapter.) I will cut a notch in the TV mount so that I can use the TV’s USB socket to power the Receiver, and then will attach the receiver under the edge of the TV by the TV’s IR receiver.[/INDENT]
Here's my install in the bedroom of the BlastIR infrared receiver. The tv mount was notched out to expose the USB port with a Dremel tool. I used 3M VHB tape to mount the puck to the bottom of the tv. Easy peasy and works great!

Thanks Duncan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	334146

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	334147
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Great job - thanks for posting, and providing the link to the tape. Next time out, I'll finish our bedroom TV install.
Quote:
Here's my install in the bedroom of the BlastIR infrared receiver. The tv mount was notched out to expose the USB port with a Dremel tool. I used 3M VHB tape to mount the puck to the bottom of the tv. Easy peasy and works great!
Thanks... Duncan
Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hello, the 110 inverter outlets have another set of prongs openings under the blanks. Just power off and dermal them out to use them.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Unsupported USB Device message

Duncan,

Thanks for all your info. I enjoy reading your solutions in the electronics area. If I have the need in the future for additional HMDI inputs / outputs I know what to do. I did have a follow up question regarding the USB item.

My 2018 GT does not have the USB input on the cabinet like your prototype. I also didn’t know the Polk tuner was mounted there so that was good info to know. I have been using my IPod to play music using the Bluetooth mode but I did like the idea of the digital input and charging at the same time out of site behind the overhead cabinet.

I accessed the tuner and saw the USB output from the Polk tuner was not being used. I ordered the suggested male/female extender to be able to plug my IPod into. Prior to installing/mounting the connection I tried it to see if it worked. I selected the USB item from the Polk menu and got the message it was an unsupported USB device. I then bypassed the new connection I purchased and plugged my IPod directly into the Polk USB output and got the same message. I then tried the same with my IPhone and got the same message.

I then installed the Polk Marine IOS App / paired my IPhone with the Polk unit. Connected my IPhone to the USB input and used the App to select USB1. I still rec’d the unsupported USB device.

My IPod is a version 3.1. My IPhone is a 6S. The manual says they support version 4. If those are the only versions they support then it looks like I’m out of luck.

Do you have any thoughts? If not, it’s not worth my time to install the external USB connection for just another charging port.

I also liked your using the 6-outlet adaptor up in the cabinet.

Jim
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Hi Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Do you have any thoughts? If not, it’s not worth my time to install the external USB connection for just another charging port.
I plug my iPhone 6 into the USB and it seems to work. I find the Polk system to be a bit finicky and often needs to be reset, but it does eventually work. I seem to recall that I connected the phone via USB, then using the iPhone app, via Bluetooth, selected the USB1 input, and made sure that the iPhone wasn't playing via Bluetooth, and it seemed to work.

It might be worth contacting Polk Marine or Asa Electronics for help. Would be great to hear an update.

Ciao... Duncan
Old 03-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
"It might be worth contacting Polk Marine or Asa Electronics for help. Would be great to hear an update."

I gave Polk Marine a call today. They had nothing else to suggest that I had not already tried. They did say they could send me a warranty replacement if I wanted.

I tried your addt'l suggestions and still no luck. I have no issues paring with the Bluetooth and playing music from my IPod or IPhone. It's not worth it to me to get a replacement just to be able to use the USB port as I have plenty of charging stations in the GT.

Thanks again for your suggestions and have Safe Travels!

Jim
Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I wonder why Airstream specs marine units. There aren’t a lot of them to choose from and car units seem a lot more full-featured.

Assuming all goes well, weatherproofing is not a feature you need on the inside of a travel trailer
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I wonder why Airstream specs marine units. There aren’t a lot of them to choose from and car units seem a lot more full-featured.

Assuming all goes well, weatherproofing is not a feature you need on the inside of a travel trailer
I have no problem with this unit in the Airstream but I read they aren't that good in a marine environment as they are only light splash proof. I prefer Fusion for a marine environment.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
I'm curious where you got the 6 port AC outlet. I purchased one from Amazon and it is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit; it hits the shelf.

I don't have a USB port showing by my DVD player, guess I will have to find the right Polk cable and order it. The wireless IR transceiver is a great idea, especially since you can't dim the cabinet lights.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
I'm curious where you got the 6 port AC outlet. I purchased one from Amazon and it is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit; it hits the shelf.

I don't have a USB port showing by my DVD player, guess I will have to find the right Polk cable and order it. The wireless IR transceiver is a great idea, especially since you can't dim the cabinet lights.
If you access the tuner under the DVD player there is a USB. However; my IPod nor IPhone would work when plugged into it. They would charge but not play.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
If you access the tuner under the DVD player there is a USB. However; my IPod nor IPhone would work when plugged into it. They would charge but not play.
From ddrg, at the end of post #3:

"I should have looked to see if I have a PA4A or a PA450UM - they both look the same. However, the PA450UM manual has explicit instructions for iPod mode on page 21 that the PA4A manual does not have. All I know is that the unit that we have supports iPod mode :-) You can find the PA450UM manual at this link.

Hope this helps... Duncan"

Duncan has the prototype GT, some of his equipment is different from the production model. The production GT has the Polk PA4A which does not support USB connected audio players. It will accept and play USB flash drives with MP3 music files. See the manual page 19 for the MP3 specifications. I suspect the support person that offered to replace your PA4A was a little confused.

https://www.asaelectronics.com/downl...ers_manual.pdf

Dave S
Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Thanks Dave,

I had forgotten that Duncan had the prototype. I did see his link to the manual was a different model than ours but it didn’t click at the time. I did follow instructions for both models before calling customer service at Polk with no luck. It does look like the customer service rep doesn’t know his products that well.

Thanks for the info.

Jim
Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
I think I bought the receptical at a big box store like Lowes or Home Depot. The back says "Apollo Wire & Cable AD-208". Sorry I can't help more.