Old 05-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirUSN View Post
Wow - an ounce of prevention....

I think you just voided your warranty

Haha yeah I think I crossed that bridge a long time ago You should see what I did with my crazy electronics system... 48v Tesla module bank, all Victron stuff, 600 watts of solar on the roof, etc. All that is for another post, but itís been a lot of fun building!

Loulou4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks everyone for hanging in there with me. I just wrapped this up and got it all back to normal.

For anyone that's interested... Here are some steps on what I did to resolve:

** Summary: Took everything apart, removed existing wood attachments and rebuilt everything, used VHB to secure the sink to the underside of the counter, put everything back together and didn't even have extra screws

Remove the countertop
- Unhook the plumbing from under the sink. Make sure to have a bowl ready for the grey water that is going to come out.
- There are 2 screws that need to be removed on the front lip of the sink. This can be done by removing the top panel of the drawers by pulling on it. (it's got the same latches as all of the drawers to keep it in place)
- The oven needs to be removed. There are a 3 screws on each side of the lid and two more when you open the door. Pull the whole oven out and you need to remove the power for the light and the propane must be disconnected. (make sure to turn off the propane at the tanks, then burn off all residual propane with the stove top)
- There is a 90 degree angle iron that lines the back edge of the countertop which is screwed into the aluminum. You need to remove all of these screws.
- At this point the countertop is no longer attached to anything. Try to find some help and lift the whole thing up and then over the lower cabinets.

To fix the sink
- First removed all of the wood that was poorly glued to the countertop. This was very easy to pry off.
- Then scrape all of the residue from the wood, countertop, sink, etc. Make sure to clean everything with some rubbing alcohol.
- Add some VHB to all of the edges of the sink. (I used some 1/2" that I had laying around and made a complete edge around the whole sink)
- Lay the countertop upside down on another table.
- Make sure the sink is centered over the hole and slowly peel the backing from the VHB and secure the sink at the same time to the counter top. (there is an art to this) Once done make sure to apply pressure everywhere for a good bond.
- Now we need to get the wood secured again to the countertop. I ended up using a bunch of my Sikaflex but like I said earlier, Airstream suggests other products. Put a bunch of this Sikaflex and press each board to the countertop.
- Let everything dry outside for a few hours.

Now you do everything in reverse to put it back together!

Once setup, then add some caulking on the inside of the sink so that nothing can get to the VHB. Now some might say that VHB might not fit the bill... but it's got some magical holding powers and I'm ok with abusing them I installed my solar panels using AMSolar's feet and a small amount of VHB is used there... I have about 4x the amount of VHB holding the sink so I think we will be just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	339557  

Old 05-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we keep a dish rack, a sink tub, and a few odds and ends in one sink; And two one gallon water bottles in the other. Been doing this for many years.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulou4 View Post
Thanks everyone for hanging in there with me. I just wrapped this up and got it all back to normal.

For anyone that's interested... Here are some steps on what I did to resolve:
. . .
Wow . . . lucky you have the skills and accessibility to remove the counter and do the work! [Edit -- well done BTW.]

How many labor hours would you say you have into this project, including R&D and diagnostic discussions? Rounding it off . . . say . . . a few days . . . maybe 20 hours at least?

At a cabinet shop rate of $100/hour [minimum], you should request $2,000 [or more] from AS IMO.

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- One more example of shoddy work by the Jackson Center factory!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- Is there some reason why this thread is not appearing in the list of Recent Discussions on the Portal page, after that recent post at 4 AM?

https://www.airforums.com/

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #20
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Loulou4,

Essentially you have to remove the oven, disconnect plumbing and propane. Take the top outside and turn it upside down and install the sink correctly. Mine was held on by three pretty flimsy pieces of metal. I stared at it for a couple of days before I realized there was only one proper way to fix it.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wow . . . lucky you have the skills and accessibility to remove the counter and do the work! [Edit -- well done BTW.]

How many labor hours would you say you have into this project, including R&D and diagnostic discussions? Rounding it off . . . say . . . a few days . . . maybe 20 hours at least?

At a cabinet shop rate of $100/hour [minimum], you should request $2,000 [or more] from AS IMO.

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- One more example of shoddy work by the Jackson Center factory!

Hi ORTA15,

Thanks! Turns out that it really wasn't that difficult to do. Once I decided to tear apart my brand new Airstream a little more... it took maybe 4/5 hours to complete. And to be completely honest, anyone can do it as long as you're willing to be a little "handy". The only tools necessary were some screwdrivers, VHB, and some silicone adhesive (which I bet the majority of folks that are full timing have stored somewhere in their rig!)

All in all, I love the Airstream and would do it all over again if I had to. Just a little frustrating sometimes when you see things that you would have done differently if you were building it yourself.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Loulou4,

Essentially you have to remove the oven, disconnect plumbing and propane. Take the top outside and turn it upside down and install the sink correctly. Mine was held on by three pretty flimsy pieces of metal. I stared at it for a couple of days before I realized there was only one proper way to fix it.
Yep! That about sums it up perfectly! Thanks for leading me down this path because otherwise I would have been disappointed in the results.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulou4 View Post

Hopefully me documenting this will prevent some grief for folks in the future!

Thanks for posting the photos of your work. Can you please tell me where you got your paper towel holder? I would like to get one for our GT - I never could find one I like enough to permanently install in our coach.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewStream View Post
Thanks for posting the photos of your work. Can you please tell me where you got your paper towel holder? I would like to get one for our GT - I never could find one I like enough to permanently install in our coach.
Hi SewStream,

Here is the link of the paper towel holder I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006TZMOE

And I used some command strips to hold it in place because I wasn't sure I wanted it there permanently either. A couple of strips does the trick and it can be removed anytime!
Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
@Loulou4 - brilliant! Well, duh ( as I slap my forehead) - I love Command strips...I hang everything in our GT with them, because youíre right, what if I change my mind? I never thought about using them for a PT holder. Thanks for the idea!
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Last update on this thread... I traveled another couple hundred miles today and the sink had no issues staying attached to the counter top! This time around I put everything under the dinette in a new soft bag that I bought for the occasion.

BTW Georgia is amazing! Beautiful and the people certainly have a fair share of southern hospitality!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
My GT has the sink coming unglued as well. Iíve only been on a few trips and didnít store anything in it. Itís getting fixed now so itís not really a big deal
PhxTrotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxTrotter View Post
My GT has the sink coming unglued as well. Iíve only been on a few trips and didnít store anything in it. Itís getting fixed now so itís not really a big deal
Hi PhxTrotter,

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues with the sink too! Hopefully they will get is setup as it should have been at the factory.

Good luck!