Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Separate inverter outlets?

One of the 2018 Flying Cloud updates for 2018 was "Combined inverter outlets eliminate need for secondary outlet". Are there separate outlets for shore power and inverter on the GT? Our GT is on order and due off the line on March 20th, so we can't answer this for ourselves. We are working on our delivery checklist and the GT owner's manual talks about the inverter powering the "TV’s and Blu-Ray player, as well as, additional labeled 120-volt receptacles." It seems odd that they would update the FCs and not put the same thing in the GTs. Any info is appreciated!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Don’t know for sure on differences, but newer inverters have a relay that passes through shore power when it is available, otherwise supplies inverter power to the same outlets when the inverter is the sole source of 120 volt AC power.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
There are some outlets on my 2018 FC that are shore power only and some that are inverter driven when off the grid. Those inverter ones are live when connected to shore power as well (probably through a relay.)

I'm going to be upgrading all this with a Victron Multiplus Hybrid inverter. It more intelligently mixes shore power and battery. Part of that rewire will make all of the outlets (except the refrigerator) live whenever the inverter is on but off of shore power.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
So you know which outlets you can use with electronics when not on shore power from what I was told.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Inverter outlets

Our2018 GT. Front bed has Inverter powered outlets in each nightstand beside the bed, at each TV, and inside the cabinet which supplies power to DVD and splutter. These outlets are powered by shore power when shore or genset when connected and by Inverter when Inverter is on and shorepower not available.
Automatically switches via relay inside Inverter.
Stormalong
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Thanks all for the quick responses. It sounds like the answer is a combination of what I was expecting. We had seen the relay on the wiring diagram, but weren't clear on what it did.

Daleyocum - we have a hybrid inverter on our wish list for down the road. I look forward to hearing how the install goes and how you like it.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
Daleyocum - we have a hybrid inverter on our wish list for down the road. I look forward to hearing how the install goes and how you like it.
I had a hybrid inverter in my last trailer so I know what I’m getting into. It’s pretty great to, when boondocking, be able to run everything on solar...microwave, hair driers, TV, etc. Fire up the Honda 2000 and the air conditioner is running on a combo of solar and gas ( with an EasyStart upgrade to the AC.)

If you boondock frequently and still want all the comforts they are hard to beat. If you typically camp in places with shore power a hybrid inverter won’t do a lot for you.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I had a hybrid inverter in my last trailer so I know what I’m getting into. It’s pretty great to, when boondocking, be able to run everything on solar...microwave, hair driers, TV, etc. Fire up the Honda 2000 and the air conditioner is running on a combo of solar and gas ( with an EasyStart upgrade to the AC.)

If you boondock frequently and still want all the comforts they are hard to beat. If you typically camp in places with shore power a hybrid inverter won’t do a lot for you.
We are definitely more off-grid people. This sounds almost too good to be true!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
We are definitely more off-grid people. This sounds almost too good to be true!
If you want to read more about hybrid inverters and nerdy details about the two leading brands this thread is a place to start. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-175905.html
Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
If you want to read more about hybrid inverters and nerdy details about the two leading brands this thread is a place to start. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-175905.html
Thanks much daleyocum! This is just the nerdy stuff I love to find in my research. Getting Lewster's input on it always adds value to the discussion. This info is especially helpful because I am in the early stages of research and was initially looking at the Magnum. Happy trails!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Quote:

What is the EasyStart upgrade to the AC?
Jasper, GA (North of Atlanta)
garypilot55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It’s an electronics package that learns and then tightly controls the compressor start current as well as providing some safety features to protect the compressor.

Bottom line it greatly reduces the initial high current surge needed to start the compressor. Then a smallish generator can more easily handle running the air conditioner with an EasyStart module installed. Highly recommended. As soon as the weather warms up, I’m installing mine.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
Our2018 GT. Front bed has Inverter powered outlets in each nightstand beside the bed, at each TV, and inside the cabinet which supplies power to DVD and splutter. These outlets are powered by shore power when shore or genset when connected and by Inverter when Inverter is on and shorepower not available.
Automatically switches via relay inside Inverter.
Stormalong
Is there an inverter outlet in the kitchen galley area that will power a small coffee maker , <1,000 watts, or do you have to run an extension cord from the TV across the aisle to the kitchen galley area where I would have a coffee maker.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
There is no inverted supplied outlet in the galley.
We also like to use a small electric coffee pot in the galley so I have installed an inverted supplied outlet in the cabinet wall to left of the stove. I accessed the wire run under the floor between the wardrobe on road side to galley cabinets on curb side.
Be sure coffee pot is less than 1000 Watts.
Contact me for details.
Stormalong
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
So, are there separate inverter-serviced outlets (if so, where) in the 2018 FC or are all 110 outlets serviced by the inverter? I can’t find any 100 outlets labeled as inverter-serviced. (Sorry in advance; new AS owner.)
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Wasn’t one of the changes for 2018 that all outlets would run from the inverter and they did away with the inverter-specific outlets?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by D44 View Post
Wasn’t one of the changes for 2018 that all outlets would run from the inverter and they did away with the inverter-specific outlets?
In an obtuse, roundabout statement I sorta, kinda, came to that conclusion but they never came out and said it clearly. We’ll see ...
Old 09-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Finally did the definitive test today. Our 2018 FC, when running on 12v power and the inverter turned on, has 120v inverted power provided to only the two TV outlets and and the 120v outlet under the dinette on the forward wall. I did not test the exterior outlet.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Finally did the definitive test today. Our 2018 FC, when running on 12v power and the inverter turned on, has 120v inverted power provided to only the two TV outlets and and the 120v outlet under the dinette on the forward wall. I did not test the exterior outlet.

Did you check the outlets in the upper cabinet near the DVD player? I’d think they’d be inverter-powered as well. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Did you check the outlets in the upper cabinet near the DVD player? I’d think they’d be inverter-powered as well. Joe
You are correct, Joe. I was going to make a notebook of that first thing this morning but you beat me to the punch.