Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Recent Globetrotter Modifications

My wife and I are so excited about our new upgrades. A friend of ours is a master cabinet maker. We hired him to make a few modifications for us in our 27FB GT Twin Bed. He made our under bed pull out trays into full extension soft close drawers. In addition, added a door to an otherwise unusable space below the curbside bed which we will use to store our manuals. The coolest mod was that he doubled the space in our utensil drawer by adding a full sliding drawer above the current utensil tray. He also added dividers to drawer below the utensil drawer and added flip out storage under our sink. I am waiting for the tab pull to come in to replace the duct tape we have as a temporary measure. The next best part of this is that he only lives 15 minutes from us. Made it real convenient to get the job done.

Can’t wait to get back on the road to use it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	344264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	344265  

Name:	IMG_4480.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	344266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4481.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	344267  

Name:	IMG_4482.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	344268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4484.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	344269  

Name:	IMG_4483.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	344270  
GOUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Those are great, GOUSC. I’ve done some of the same. Didn’t occur to me to do the flip-out in front of the sink—that’s a really great idea (I have it in my kitchen at home and it’s a perfect place for sponges and stuff) so that is now on the list. I was going to do drawers under the beds and couch but ran out of time. So those are on deck for this coming winter.

FWIW, I’m documenting my Globetrotter mods in my Traveling with Tatay thread. I’m currently traveling and all of them are working out really, really well.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Those are great, GOUSC. I’ve done some of the same. Didn’t occur to me to do the flip-out in front of the sink—that’s a really great idea (I have it in my kitchen at home and it’s a perfect place for sponges and stuff) so that is now on the list. I was going to do drawers under the beds and couch but ran out of time. So those are on deck for this coming winter.

FWIW, I’m documenting my Globetrotter mods in my Traveling with Tatay thread. I’m currently traveling and all of them are working out really, really well.
Just took a look at you page. You have a lot of really neat stuff going on there. I'm gonna have to find that trash can you use as the small one has really bugged us. Looks like you are handy with woodworking so it should be no problem for you to add the sliding tray to your silverware drawer. Basically notch out the back of the drawer to the depth of the upper tray you build and then add full extension slides on the side that lock when closed for travel. Doubles your space.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I'm gonna have to find that trash can you use as the small one has really bugged us.
It’s this one in 4 gallon. Take the lid off before placing the can in the area, then put it back on afterwards.

Quote:
Looks like you are handy with woodworking so it should be no problem for you to add the sliding tray to your silverware drawer.
Yep, I’ve done my own version of that. The one in your post that is now on the list is the flip-out storage in front of the sink. I’m always looking for a place to keep the dish sponge...
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Is it this trash can as I couldn't get the link you referenced to work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	344379  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Is it this trash can as I couldn't get the link you referenced to work.

Sorry. Yes, that’s the one. The photo reminds me—I also took off the handle. Get the bags too, they fit and work really well.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Okay you guys are making the rest of us jealous (and the DW’s)! Super work and great ideas; thanks for sharing!

Gousc, what is the padding-like material you have on top of the beds platforms? My guess is it’s to keep the mattresses from sliding around (found ours on the floor after the last travel). I see you added plywood extensions to support the mattresses as well.

Also, you should ask your cabinet guy if he’d be interested in selling the cutlery tray setup or at least plans. I think it should be a standard factory installed feature.

You guys rock!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Glad you like the work our cabinet guy did. With regard to the other items, I did add the plywood extensions per a prior post made by “Hans627”. They work great at keeping us from having the feeling we were falling off the bed. The material on top of the plywood base is called “Hydrovent”. This was a suggestion by “Kodiak2006”. Although it may help keep the mattresses in place, it’s main purpose is to allow ventilation under the mattress so that mold doesn’t develop on the bottom of the mattress since there are no box springs.

With regard to the plans for the cutlery tray setup, my friend would love to do this, and any other work similar to this you need done. However, I’m sure he doesn’t mind my sharing how it is done as there is nothing proprietary about it. He said it is a common space saving technique others have used for years. I had been in touch with Ultimate Airstreams at Alumapalooza and their trays only have access to a half tray on the top that slides back and forth. This tray gives you full access to the top and bottom so it essentially doubles your storage space. I believe you may see Ultimate Airstreams using this system in the future for their Grand Lounge cabinet storage as they were unaware of this technique. Here is how you do it;

He left the original divider in it's original location on the bottom. Lets say the rear part of the box is 5" high and the bottom storage box is 2.5" high (these are not the exact measurements but you will get the idea). He cuts the back part of the drawer down where it is 3" high. He then builds the upper storage tray to the height and depth he needs. Then he puts side full extension glides on each side of the upper storage tray. Since he now has a hole opening in the back of the drawer, this top shelf can slide all the way back when you open the drawer.

The glides also locks into a store position so it will stay in place while traveling. I think it should hold, if not, then I can add some sort of latch in addition.

We live in Mooresville, NC and our Master Cabinet Maker / friend is only about 15 minutes away from us and not far off of I-77. If you are travelling thru the area it’s a lot closer than Jackson Center, OH or Portland, OR for most of us in the Southeast. I would highly recommend him for any work such as this. His contact information is;

Marte Yerkins
704-657-6901
Marte@kitchenretrofit.com e-mail address

www.kitchenretrofit.com web site
Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
YouTube video of GT Upgrades

If this link works then it will show you the operation of all the upgrades and how they were done.

https://youtu.be/ww_fUd4ipZc
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Glad you like the work our cabinet guy did. With regard to the other items, I did add the plywood extensions per a prior post made by “Hans627”. They work great at keeping us from having the feeling we were falling off the bed. The material on top of the plywood base is called “Hydrovent”. This was a suggestion by “Kodiak2006”.
Gousc, I can’t thank you enough for the detailed explanation of your upgrades and even sharing the video! We’re heading out to Colorado in August so I’m going to get done what I can before we go.

By the way, I couldn’t find “Hydrovent” but did find “Hypervent” :-)
Sound like good insurance to prevent mold under those expensive Tuft & Needle mattresses!

Thanks again,
Jeff & Caryle
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Variations of the mods + one more

I made the bed extensions and installed the Hypervent under the mattresses. While I was there I pulled the cover off the curb side bed and removed the screws holding the blank cover and installed two hinges and a latch. You can open it without a handle so it’s a “semi-secret storage” spot.

Also, the bathroom vanity mirror would pop open during travel so I removed the center latch and installed two on the left and right. You need to give it a good tug now so that should do the trick!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62D580A4-8201-4739-8273-47F7C0270050.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	347016   Click image for larger version

Name:	0D3A14A1-1493-46F3-9CA9-E4EE8070BAD9.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	347017  

Name:	D4CD1AF8-BB7E-4581-89AC-B88435DE1EC3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	347018   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4AE43E4-37BA-4D9D-AD25-BF072F8E14D5.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	347019  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Lovely!
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Jeff,
Are you concerned about covering up the ventilation holes with the Hypervent? What’s under the bed that dictates the vents?

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Looks great Jeff!

I've been close to adding another latch in the bathroom but it's been behaving itself lately. If it starts acting up I'll know what to do.

I also wanted to ask what the vents were for beneath the bed and if yours came that way or if it was something you added. I don't think the hypervent would adversely affect it. If it is to add additional ventilation then I would think the hypervents design would allow the air to come up, and out the sides of the mattress. I would just make sure if these are over the outside storage compartments that they are sealed good so that road rain won't make its way inside up and through these vents.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Jeff,
Are you concerned about covering up the ventilation holes with the Hypervent? What’s under the bed that dictates the vents?
Hi eagletoo, no I’m not worried since the Hypervent actually holds the mattress off the the vents and joins them together spreading out the airflow across and front to back. Hypervent is pretty neat stuff. You can see the vents through the tyvek-like covering.

The vents are above the two inside storage compartments. I think Airstream’s idea was to get some air under the foam mattress to let them breathe and prevent mold/mildew. Hypervent solves that problem.

-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Looks great Jeff!

I've been close to adding another latch in the bathroom but it's been behaving itself lately. If it starts acting up I'll know what to do.

I also wanted to ask what the vents were for beneath the bed and if yours came that way or if it was something you added. I don't think the hypervent would adversely affect it. If it is to add additional ventilation then I would think the hypervents design would allow the air to come up, and out the sides of the mattress. I would just make sure if these are over the outside storage compartments that they are sealed good so that road rain won't make its way inside up and through these vents.
Hi GOUSC, I tried adjusting the bathroom vanity mirror latch without any improvement. Two trips out and each time we’d find the door open when we arrived.

I used these latches from Amazon - they take more force to open.

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Drawe.../dp/B07SSTHDJ4

Actually, you might be able to get by with one in the middle replacing the factory unit. I did take the removed factory one and re-tasked it to the “semi-secret” storage compartment because it has just enough force to keep it closed and you can open it without a handle.

Good point about sealing the outside storage from the vents. I didn’t have a tube of silicone on hand but will pull up the vented board and apply a bead on top of the outside storage plywood to ensure it’s sealed tight.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Jeff

Those latches are great, they come in 5 (link below) 8 and 10 lb pulls. I had to use two 10's on the bottom drawer under our sink where all our heavy pots and pans are to keep it from opening while traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6SB59Q...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Jeff

Those latches are great, they come in 5 (link below) 8 and 10 lb pulls. I had to use two 10's on the bottom drawer under our sink where all our heavy pots and pans are to keep it from opening while traveling.

Dave S
^^^This!
I bought the 8lb ones and replaced the one in the overhead bathroom caninet. I don't think it will be opening anymore. Have 3 spares to carry in case I have issues with any other latches on the road.

Jim
Old 07-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Jeff

Dave S
Dave, great idea for the bottom drawer! I'll bring the spares along and see what pops open and swap when needed.

GOUSC, I'm going to go back to a single 8# on the bathroom mirror so the DW doesn't have to put her foot on the sink to pull it open
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:06 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
Thanks for all of these ideas. Here’s a situation I have not seen addressed yet—bathroom lighting. We have found that when in the bathroom, with the light on, upon opening the mirrored cabinet (yes, our catch has failed, also), the open cabinet causes the room to go nearly dark. If there was a light strip, just like the one beneath the galley overhead cabinets, that would, at least for us, solve the problem. IMHO, this should have been incorporated into the design and functionality of the Airstream (this situation may be present in others models, too), but since it wasn’t, has anyone devised a solution? Ideally, a light strip controlled by the same switch as the existing light would be preferable, but a separate switch would also be acceptable. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote