Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
Ready to purchase a Globetrotter

I'm in the process of retiring and am ready to purchase my first Airstream. I want to get a 27' Globetrotter with the queen bed, second air and the convection microwave. I don't intend to get the factory solar package since I've heard much better systems are available through after market suppliers.

My question is regarding when would be the best time to make the purchase? I intend to pay cash and can purchase anytime that will get me the very best price. Would it be best to purchase prior to year end, just over a week away, or wait until sometime after the New Year? Any tips on how to go about getting the best price?

I've been a casual reader on this site for some time and truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this.
Old Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I just finalized purchase of my 2019 27’ GT, though we got the twins. It’s my first trailer and I really only researched and looked around for 3 months and pulled the trigger when I felt I got a fair deal, so I can’t speak very comprehensively to timing. But I would imagine that depending on where in the country you are:

1) after the end of the season is probably better than in the spring
2) after next year’s models start becoming more readily available and on lots dealers may want to move last year’s models more
3) I saw (and was surprised by) a handful of used 2018 Globetrotters. I think that every year there are a handful of “last year’s” model that go up for sale after one season of use, probably because their owners either decide that particular model/floorplan (or RVing in general) is not for them. If you can find one with the layout you want and an interior decor scheme that you like (I could not), that will probably be your lowest price.

But I think Globetrotters are in general a pretty hot ticket right now and I don’t get the sense that they are discounted that much.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Old Grumpy, Airstream announced a $4K price increase on the 27’ Globetrotter effective January 1, 2019. There’s no increase on the 25’ Globetrotters.

You can search for a unit on dealer’s lots already produced / in transit or lock in your price by making a deal by Dec 31, 2018.

We were in the same position and negotiated a deal to trade/order a new 27’ Globetrotter FBT at a local dealer. I’m pretty sure you can negotiate between 15-20% now.

As nryn mentioned, there are some used 2018’s on the market and a few new 2019’s but you might end up making a compromise on the options.

Many dealers will deal on the phone once they know you’re serious if you want to shop around. Good luck!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Call colonial airstream in NJ. They always have a finger on the market and deliver aggressive discounts. Agree with the 20% off msrp comment (I got slightly better with my unit).

I live in Denver - I shipped my car to NJ ($800) and then flew out to pickup my 30’ front Patrick. Saved over $5,000 compared to the local market. Georgia is not that far to run up 95 to pickup your trailer
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Purchase

[QUOTE=Old Grumpy;2192859]I'm in the process of retiring and am ready to purchase my first Airstream. I want to get a 27' Globetrotter with the queen bed, second air and the convection microwave. I don't intend to get the factory solar package since I've heard much better systems are available through after market suppliers.

My question is regarding when would be the best time to make the purchase? I intend to pay cash and can purchase anytime that will get me the very best price. Would it be best to purchase prior to year end, just over a week away, or wait until sometime after the New Year? Any tips on how to go about getting the best price?

Call Nick at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NJ, just tell him exactly what you want and to sharpen his pencil
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Where in the country do you live? We just purchased a 2018 27 serenity and had the interior remodeled to a grand lounge. We can upgradedto all corian with dual tables. Go to airstream adventue northwest in Seattle. their sister company is Ultimate airstream. They are sanctioned by Airstream and you can get all the matching corian and laminates. We paid less than a new Globetrotter. Mike Moser can make it happen. I am challenged in adding our pictures to this site
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grumpy View Post
I'm in the process of retiring and am ready to purchase my first Airstream. I want to get a 27' Globetrotter with the queen bed, second air and the convection microwave. I don't intend to get the factory solar package since I've heard much better systems are available through after market suppliers.

I've been a casual reader on this site for some time and truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this.
You can't be old and grumpy and have a Globetrotter, or so it seems .

We just got ours (still need to do an intro ).

We got solar from the factory, they also have the better batteries, it's not just about the panels and wiring. They are also probably covered by the 3yr warranty if they come built-in.

The convection oven/microwave seems expensive for what it is. We made pizza in the real oven yesterday evening (first meal ) and it went great. We had a microwave/convection in our previous rig and we hated it.

2 AC unit is awesome and it is definitely very difficult to install later.

We got about 20% discount but we did not get a great deal on our trade-in, but we knew it would not be a great deal (not an AS as a trade-in).

Our sales guy also told us about the 4% increase thanks to the tariffs (ok, no politics here), that's about $5k, so it's fairly motivating.

I contacted all the AS vendors like 500 miles around my place and finally went to Out-Of-Doors Mart, because they seem to know what they talk about and they are not too far from home, which made sense to us (and they had the very precise model we wanted in stock).
jgperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Heber City , UT
Large discounts on 2018 in Utah (?)

Hi,
I know Utah is a good distance away but I just received an email from https://www.airstreamofutah.com with year-end deals. They seem like good deals and maybe worth checking out.

I am not affiliated with Airstream of Utah. I am currently looking at Airstreams but have about a year before I get serious about a purchase. I would be interested what you discover about timing with regards to purchase price. Good luck and congratulations on your retirement.
Chukarbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on making the decision to purchase and Airstream. We have an International serenity. Having said that the globetrotter is awesome. I believe you should ask 20% less on a 2018. I’m sure there are some wonderful dealerships near you that would be happy to work with you If you live in the Los Angeles area do not hesitate to call Diane at San Gabriel Airstream. Her and David are the best. We have purchased to Airstream‘s from them. And we have been totally happy with all of their assistance in making the best choice, that matches our needs. Also congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Being retired is just the beginning of your adventures. Look forward to seeing you down the road. Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Also join in Airstream club. We belong to the greater Los Angeles Airstream club and awesome group of folks. You certainly will have to change your name from grumpy to :-) with your new Airstream. And your new retirement life !!!
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
Thanks for all of your responses.

We live in Atlanta, GA and have an Airstream dealer just a few miles away. I'll start with them and see what their best price is. Per many of your suggestions, I'll also give a call to other dealers and see if they would like to compete for my business.

If I order one, can I specify that i want to pick it up at Jackson Center when it is ready rather than having them deliver it to Georgia? I would like to take their tour. Plus, Jackson Center is not all that far from me and picking it up there would allow me to purchase it from any dealer nationwide.

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom with a newbie. I look forward to meeting many of you along the road as we experience the wonderful life that an Airstream will allow.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Had my best luck finding two dealers with the same model I was looking for, as I was trading in a brown box, I was able to negotiate and ultimately ended up getting an additional $4k off the original dealers offer, I had to drive an additional 120 miles, but was well worth the $4k and exceptional service.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Old Grumpy, I don’t think you can pick it up in Jackson Center. “Dealer prep” as they call it is a pretty critical step in an Airstream purchase. If you do some poking around these forums, you’ll quickly find many comments from those who perceive the quality control measures at the Airstream factory to be inadequate, and the procedural remedy for this seems to be having dealers finish “the last mile” in terms of readying the trailer for sale or for delivery to a customer.

That said, you can work with your dealer to find out when your trailer is being built in JC and go see it. There are posts about that as well. My dealer communicated with me quite a bit about this but unfortunately my schedule did not afford me the time to go see it being made.

Quote:
If I order one, can I specify that i want to pick it up at Jackson Center when it is ready rather than having them deliver it to Georgia? I would like to take their tour. Plus, Jackson Center is not all that far from me and picking it up there would allow me to purchase it from any dealer nationwide.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
2019 Globetrotter Pricing is MSRP+$4K

Hi Old Grumpy,

So ten days ago I was in negotiation with Tampa Airstream for the exact Globetrotter you describe. The salesman indicated to me that the January 1, 2019 MSRP will be +$4K reflecting the Trump Administration Import tax on Aluminum.

I have no idea if this is salesman "smoke" or the truth, but I am sure that the 2019's will be no less than the 2018's!

Unless you just MUST HAVE a new trailer, buying one used makes wonderful sense. We Airstreamers tend to take good care of our machinery, and use them far less than we envisioned when we made the original purchase.

Good luck, my friend

PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
2019 Globetrotter Now On Order!!!

I thought I would let everyone know that I placed an order for a 2019 Globetrotter today. I reached out to 15 different dealers, received quotes from nine of them, and finally reached an agreement and placed the order.

I won't say who I ordered from because I got an exceptionally low price of 23% off of MSRP and it would not be fair to them to identify them. Circumstances change and perhaps this deal would not be available at another time. But it was available today. I should note that there were several other dealers that got very close to to the same price. Being off season and at the end of the year certainly helped get the price down.

The key is I was very respectful and let them know from my first contact that I wanted the best deal they were comfortable making and that I was going to purchase from whoever offered the lowest price. They really eliminated themselves one by one until there was only one left and they got the order.

Even at 23% off of MSRP the winning dealer was very happy to earn my business. And I was very happy to give it to him. To get exactly what I wanted it will have to be ordered but it should be ready for pickup in late March, just in time to do some Spring time exploring!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We purchased a 2018 Serenity 28 from Southland in ATL this past summer. Very happy with our deal and the purchase process. They have a bunch on the lot to pick from. Go buy your camper!
brick in Peachtree City
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Ready to purchase a Globetrotter

Early congrats. I love the GT we have one local with a 114k sticker and with your discount it would run 87k.

It’s the Mediterranean blue queen. I think solar as well.

Maybe I’ll swing by tomorrow and ‘test’ the waters
Old 12-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I was just at the Scottsdale AS dealership and they said sales were down, what with market conditions. This recent decline in the market pulled over 1.5 Trillion out of people's accounts. There's still plenty of $$ out there, but many are more cautious. That coupled with AS's upgrade in production will put pressure on the sales. I bought my 2018 Globetrotter, very well optioned, for about 97 K, and now think I paid too much. If you wait till year end you can probably get at least 15% off sticker, but, you can't choose options. Good luck!
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I don't see why you wouldn't tell us who it is. They made the deal not you.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:

It's not the best time it's WHO you buy from. Make sure they have the best price and availability and service/setup is a key factor. Check with the largest dealers like Colonial first. Find out where you are going to mainly put the trailer and where you are going to service it FIRST. If you have a warranty problem it may take many weeks or months to get a resolution. Make SURE all your Dometic appliances are FULLY functional and tested many times. Lots of dealers won't service trailers they didn't sell. ASSUME you will have many issues and have a service manager you can trust and count on. You will probably get more respect with a Globetrotter, awesome trailer, the very best. Remember the hardest part these days about Airstream usage is making reservations.
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote