Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
Our Experience - New 2019 AS GT 28FB

I apologize in advance - this is long.

A little background, my wife and I are complete newbies, we have never owned or even used a RV of any type. But we made the decision to invest in one this past winter. We live in Cypress TX and purchased in Orlando FL, simply because that is where we found a trailer with the features we wanted.

Below is a brief summary of our experience with a new 2019 AS GT 28FB we purchased in mid-January.

First off, I will state the trailer is very attractive, well equipped, makes great use of a relatively small space and tows great with an F-150. Beyond that we have very few positive comments.

At dealer demo:
• Screen door fit was incredibly poor. You could pass your entire hand through the gap at the top of the door. It required considerable reforming to make it fit reasonably well.
• Two overhead bin/locker doors were damaged and appeared to be repaired with wood filler and spray paint. The deal moved forward only after we had agreement to replace the doors.
• Overhead bin/locker lights would not turn off. Required removing a switch from another unit to repair.
• Drawers were found misaligned and required adjustment.
• Bathroom door handle fell off and was reinstalled.

Upon deliver:
• Trim piece under closet fell off and had to be replaced.
• Trim piece that wraps head board on the bed detached and had to be reattached, although it detaches every trip now.
• Water pump was very noisy. Ultimately required insulting pipes at pump and shower to reduce the noise to reasonable level.
• Found a wrinkle in the front skin that was not noted at the dealer. Later I found the same wrinkle was present in the photos the dealer provided during negotiations. Appears to have been delivered from the factory with this defect. I have closed the gaps with sealant and will live with it, versus risking additional issues from a repair
• Polk radio Bluetooth will not pair. Requires deleting the device and starting over.
• Found same drawers misaligned again.

First weekend trip 1 hour away:
• Polk radio Bluetooth will not pair. Requires deleting the device and starting over.
• Bathroom sink holds a small amount of water at all times. The drain is not the issue. The sink is formed poorly, the lowest part of the sink is actually lower than the drain pipe.
• Bathroom door window trim detached.
• Bathroom door handle fell off again.
• Numerous door bumpers found randomly in the trailer, having fallen off or excess and left in the trailer.
• Found several areas of exposed sharp laminate on cabinets and received a cut.
• Capping off the weekend, while dumping tanks for the first time, ever. We drained the black tank. Connected the back tank flush hose and turned on the water. After a couple minutes, water starts pouring out from underneath the trailer. Puzzled I turn off the water and wait a couple minutes and try again. Same result. Pull out the owner’s manual and find very few details concerning operation. Then find the interior of trailer wet all around the closet area. Frustrated we packed up and head home. I spent the remainder of the weekend trying to dry out the trailer. Ultimately found the flexible hose that attaches to the black tank flush connection was never attached at the factory. Bought the tools and repaired myself.
• In addition, while at home found the trailer trips our home’s GFCI circuits when plugged in.

Second multi day trip, 4 hours away, 1 hour driving in rain.
• Front storage compartment leaked. Water through out storage area, including contents, back to the queen bed. Spent the first few hours of our trip trying to dry things out.
• Curb side marker light filled with water.
• Power awning required approximately 10 cycles to actually open.
• Bathroom door handle fell off again. Has a very small set screw, that will not stay tight.
• Used exterior shower for the first time and found it leaks more water at the hose connection than it delivers to the spray head.
• Found refrigerator freezes food on the lowest setting. Measured 29-30f at all times.
• During return trip backup camera intermittently shutdown and restarted multiple times.

Today while prepping for an upcoming trip:
• Found back up camera full of water. Now I understand the intermittent shutdowns.
• While cleaning the air filters found all of them partially blocked. The complete disarray of wires, cables, hoses, etc… blocking the HVAC return is disappointing. There was an electrical junction box resting against the face of the evaporator coil.
• While entering the trailer steps made a loud bang and flexed heavily to one side. Found an attachment bolt had fallen off and was inside the trailers enclosed body, near the wheel well. With significant effort I was able to fish it out with a mechanic’s magnet. Required complete disassemble of the steps to reinstall.

I am sure there are plenty of people who purchase an AS trailer and have minimum or maybe even no disappointments, that is certainly not our experience thus far.

Our dealer Orlando RV was quite reasonable during negotiations. After the sale was secured, they are non-existent. I have called the service department approx. 20 times and never once was my call answered. In addition, never once was a vm returned. The only time I spoke with someone in service is when I contacted my sales person and raised hell. I suggest you avoid Orlando RV.

AS has been about the same. I placed a phone call to AS and spoke with someone who was quite friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about our issues. He asked me to e-mail details and photos. After providing details, nothing. I have called back and left vm’s, again nothing.

If you plan to purchase, you will be told about the 3-year premium warranty and everything it covers. You will not be told that there is a 3 month wait to obtain service and that your new trailer may be in the shop for weeks. So basically, if you want to salvage your trip/season you will be forced to make repairs on your own.

If you plan to make a purchase, I suggest you think carefully before you invest hard earned dollars in this supposedly premium brand. If you chose to move forward regardless, do not expect a product that is ready to for use. It will require considerable efforts on your part to make it functional.

Rant over, I hope this is beneficial to someone…..

olgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Well here we are 15 years later and what has changed...not much I recon...🥴

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you can’t."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Denver , North Carolina
WOW! Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I've had some of the same problems with my 2019 GT. QC is a HUGE issue with Airstream, and as you can see from Bob's post things haven't changed all that much over the years apparently.

I spent a year on this forum learning everything I could about AS trailers before we purchased our GT. I knew there would be issues with a new trailer and was prepared to deal with that.

It's very frustrating to see so many things that become problems for owners that could easily have been avoided at the time of manufacturing. Unfortunately for owners it means either fix it yourself or wait for months to get an appointment with a dealer (who may or may not be competent) to do repairs, or take your trailer to Jackson Center.

I hope you can get things resolved quickly so you can really begin to enjoy your trailer and not have to worry about what is going to break next.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So sorry to read of so many avoidable problems. Wondering if the wrinkle in the front skin is indicative of poor transport or some sort of mishap that relates to many other items mentioned in your list.

Either way - it’s a shame that your experience which should have been a delight was a ceaseless string of annoyances.

I don’t believe this is the norm for Airstream - but even if they produce 4000 units a year - one like this is still one too many.

Just shaking my head commiserating. I don’t have much advice to offer unfortunately. You’ll likely get a response in this thread from an Airstream account telling you they’re sorry to hear of the experience and ask you to contact them with your vin number and so forth....I don’t know the extent to which that helps. While my experience (6 years ago) was about 175 degrees from yours, I think I’d be tempted to ship the barge back to the factory for a full refund + “pain and suffering”

Really hope you can get it all sorted and enjoy camping. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgoat View Post
I apologize in advance - this is long.

A little background, my wife and I are complete newbies, we have never owned or even used a RV of any type. But we made the decision to invest in one this past winter. We live in Cypress TX and purchased in Orlando FL, simply because that is where we found a trailer with the features we wanted.

Below is a brief summary of our experience with a new 2019 AS GT 28FB we purchased in mid-January.

First off, I will state the trailer is very attractive, well equipped, makes great use of a relatively small space and tows great with an F-150. Beyond that we have very few positive comments.

At dealer demo:
• Screen door fit was incredibly poor. You could pass your entire hand through the gap at the top of the door. It required considerable reforming to make it fit reasonably well.
• Two overhead bin/locker doors were damaged and appeared to be repaired with wood filler and spray paint. The deal moved forward only after we had agreement to replace the doors.
• Overhead bin/locker lights would not turn off. Required removing a switch from another unit to repair.
• Drawers were found misaligned and required adjustment.
• Bathroom door handle fell off and was reinstalled.

Upon deliver:
• Trim piece under closet fell off and had to be replaced.
• Trim piece that wraps head board on the bed detached and had to be reattached, although it detaches every trip now.
• Water pump was very noisy. Ultimately required insulting pipes at pump and shower to reduce the noise to reasonable level.
• Found a wrinkle in the front skin that was not noted at the dealer. Later I found the same wrinkle was present in the photos the dealer provided during negotiations. Appears to have been delivered from the factory with this defect. I have closed the gaps with sealant and will live with it, versus risking additional issues from a repair
• Found same drawers misaligned again.

First weekend trip 1 hour away:
• Bathroom sink holds a small amount of water at all times. The drain is not the issue. The sink is formed poorly, the lowest part of the sink is actually lower than the drain pipe.
• Bathroom door window trim detached.
• Bathroom door handle fell off again.
• Numerous door bumpers found randomly in the trailer, having fallen off or excess and left in the trailer.
• Found several areas of exposed sharp laminate on cabinets and received a cut.
• Capping off the weekend, while dumping tanks for the first time, ever. We drained the black tank. Connected the back tank flush hose and turned on the water. After a couple minutes, water starts pouring out from underneath the trailer. Puzzled I turn off the water and wait a couple minutes and try again. Same result. Pull out the owner’s manual and find very few details concerning operation. Then find the interior of trailer wet all around the closet area. Frustrated we packed up and head home. I spent the remainder of the weekend trying to dry out the trailer. Ultimately found the flexible hose that attaches to the black tank flush connection was never attached at the factory. Bought the tools and repaired myself.
• In addition, while at home found the trailer trips our home’s GFCI circuits when plugged in.

Second multi day trip, 4 hours away, 1 hour driving in rain.
• Front storage compartment leaked. Water through out storage area, including contents, back to the queen bed. Spent the first few hours of our trip trying to dry things out.
• Curb side marker light filled with water.
• Power awning required approximately 10 cycles to actually open.
• Bathroom door handle fell off again. Has a very small set screw, that will not stay tight.
• Used exterior shower for the first time and found it leaks more water at the hose connection than it delivers to the spray head.
• Found refrigerator freezes food on the lowest setting. Measured 29-30f at all times.
• During return trip backup camera intermittently shutdown and restarted multiple times.

Today while prepping for an upcoming trip:
• Found back up camera full of water. Now I understand the intermittent shutdowns.
• While cleaning the air filters found all of them partially blocked. The complete disarray of wires, cables, hoses, etc… blocking the HVAC return is disappointing. There was an electrical junction box resting against the face of the evaporator coil.
• While entering the trailer steps made a loud bang and flexed heavily to one side. Found an attachment bolt had fallen off and was inside the trailers enclosed body, near the wheel well. With significant effort I was able to fish it out with a mechanic’s magnet. Required complete disassemble of the steps to reinstall.

I am sure there are plenty of people who purchase an AS trailer and have minimum or maybe even no disappointments, that is certainly not our experience thus far.

Our dealer Orlando RV was quite reasonable during negotiations. After the sale was secured, they are non-existent. I have called the service department approx. 20 times and never once was my call answered. In addition, never once was a vm returned. The only time I spoke with someone in service is when I contacted my sales person and raised hell. I suggest you avoid Orlando RV.

AS has been about the same. I placed a phone call to AS and spoke with someone who was quite friendly and seemed genuinely concerned about our issues. He asked me to e-mail details and photos. After providing details, nothing. I have called back and left vm’s, again nothing.

If you plan to purchase, you will be told about the 3-year premium warranty and everything it covers. You will not be told that there is a 3 month wait to obtain service and that your new trailer may be in the shop for weeks. So basically, if you want to salvage your trip/season you will be forced to make repairs on your own.

If you plan to make a purchase, I suggest you think carefully before you invest hard earned dollars in this supposedly premium brand. If you chose to move forward regardless, do not expect a product that is ready to for use. It will require considerable efforts on your part to make it functional.

Rant over, I hope this is beneficial to someone…..
Hi olgoat,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can send it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team as well. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
This is unacceptable!!!

I have a Globetrotter on order that is scheduled to be delivered to my dealer in Atlanta in three weeks so this is VERY DISAPPOINTING to hear. While I do not expect perfection, for $100,000 it should be very close. And this sounds like a pile of junk that you have purchased.

I will be prepared to perform the mother of all inspections when I pick mine up in three weeks. And if I find this many problems I will walk away from it and let the dealer keep it. I am paying a premium price for a premium product. I will not accept this level of poor craftsmanship when Airstream could just as easily caught and corrected these problems in their final QC before they shipped. Better yet, they could have built it right to begin with!!! QC is meant to catch little things, not rebuild a product that is so poorly manufactured as this!!!

The more I read about poor Airstream quality the more disappointed I am in this company. It appears they really do not care about anything but getting our money. Or else they would do something about their poor quality and not just resort to monitoring these forums and writing sympathy messages.
Old Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grumpy View Post
I have a Globetrotter on order that is scheduled to be delivered to my dealer in Atlanta in three weeks so this is VERY DISAPPOINTING to hear. While I do not expect perfection, for $100,000 it should be very close. And this sounds like a pile of junk that you have purchased.

I will be prepared to perform the mother of all inspections when I pick mine up in three weeks. And if I find this many problems I will walk away from it and let the dealer keep it. I am paying a premium price for a premium product. I will not accept this level of poor craftsmanship when Airstream could just as easily caught and corrected these problems in their final QC before they shipped. Better yet, they could have built it right to begin with!!! QC is meant to catch little things, not rebuild a product that is so poorly manufactured as this!!!

The more I read about poor Airstream quality the more disappointed I am in this company. It appears they really do not care about anything but getting our money. Or else they would do something about their poor quality and not just resort to monitoring these forums and writing sympathy messages.

Well - all due respect - the irony of your forum name and the tone of your entry here can’t be escaped - short of signing off with a rousing “and get off my lawn” - I’m not sure how you could have done that better

Ok - serious side - as I’ve said - one trailer like this is one too many. We do have to put all this in context. I think if a large percentage of trailers had this much trouble, we’d know about it. What are they up to - 80-100 units a week now? 4-5000 a year? If 10% of those were duds, we’d have at least 100 (25% of those buyers) joining in to lambaste AS here. It just can’t be as frequent as can be perceived in these forums - which are more often used to problem solve (i.e., share bad news in hopes of resolution) than to cheerlead.

Again - skewed as it may be, one trailer like the one described here is one too many. In context, the odds of your order being affected similarly are low, as are the odds of yours being 100% perfect. Odds are good that you’ll have a well-built product that may not be perfect.

If you need 100% perfection, you won’t get that anywhere. If that’s honestly your expectation, you may want to consider canceling the order because it could get very frustrating.

That’s very different for the OP - sounds like this one really slipped through the cracks....

If you can accept some level of imperfection, I think you may find it a real joy. Good luck and happy camping!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
We also had a couple of cabinet doors that look like they had touch up paint on them. Completely different texture ; should not have made it out of the factory. After a couple of weeks at the dealer new doors are on order.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi olgoat,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can send it to our Customer Service and Technical Support team as well. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.
What about me?...😂
Well here we are 15 years later and what has changed...not much I recon...🥴

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

Bob
🇺🇸

Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
Wow, are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Well - all due respect - the irony of your forum name and the tone of your entry here can’t be escaped - short of signing off with a rousing “and get off my lawn” - I’m not sure how you could have done that better

Ok - serious side - as I’ve said - one trailer like this is one too many. We do have to put all this in context. I think if a large percentage of trailers had this much trouble, we’d know about it. What are they up to - 80-100 units a week now? 4-5000 a year? If 10% of those were duds, we’d have at least 100 (25% of those buyers) joining in to lambaste AS here. It just can’t be as frequent as can be perceived in these forums - which are more often used to problem solve (i.e., share bad news in hopes of resolution) than to cheerlead.

Again - skewed as it may be, one trailer like the one described here is one too many. In context, the odds of your order being affected similarly are low, as are the odds of yours being 100% perfect. Odds are good that you’ll have a well-built product that may not be perfect.

If you need 100% perfection, you won’t get that anywhere. If that’s honestly your expectation, you may want to consider canceling the order because it could get very frustrating.

That’s very different for the OP - sounds like this one really slipped through the cracks....

If you can accept some level of imperfection, I think you may find it a real joy. Good luck and happy camping!
I am an engineer and spent a good part of my career in manufacturing process development. For the last 23 years I have consulted with many world class manufacturing organizations including Coca-Cola, NASA, Lockheed Martin, Newell Rubbermaid, Motorola, Tupperware, Siemens, Yamaha, Gulfstream Aerospace, and numerous others. So I know what it takes to produce a high quality product CONSISTENTLY. And I can emphatically tell you that having the number of screw-ups as the original poster indicated EVEN ONCE is not an indication of one problem “slipping through the cracks”. This speaks to having a manufacturing operation that is totally lacking in control.

Airstream has been in business for many decades and have produced tens of thousands of these products. They should be experts at this and should be able to produce a near-perfect product every time. I’ve worked with many rocket scientists and I can tell you that manufacturing an Airstream is not rocket science. These trailers, in the grand scheme of things, are extremely simple products and are not hard to manufacture with a high degree of precision. Airstream should have well developed and clearly defined process controls in place that guarantee it.

Obviously, Airstream monitors these forums closely and are frequently quick to jump in and do damage control as needed. So let me ask you, Mr. Airstream Damage Control Representative, what certifications do you have in place within your manufacturing organization? EVERY manufacturing organization that I have worked with has proudly published this information so their customers know that they had the controls in place to guarantee a high quality product. I can’t wait to hear your response.

I’ve noticed on this forum that anytime someone points out the poor quality that frequently evidences itself in these “premium” products that someone will quickly jump to their defense and make excuses for them. That, in itself, is inexcusable. They will never correct these problems unless they are required to do so.

Thank you for listening to me rant. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Did not know you were originally from Lawn Guyland, New York!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
...snip....

Thank you for listening to me rant. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Touché, Old Grumpy!

Thanks for having a sense of humor and for sharing from your experience. That was a BRILLIANT response. You have tons of real world experience that AS would clearly do well to adopt. It is so puzzling that more than a half century since Deming brought TQC to Japan after the Big 3 decided they didn’t need him that an iconic American brand like Airstream hasn’t been more keen on the uptake.

When I say that one trailer like this in 4000 is one too many, I literally mean that. I’m not making excuses for them. I am pointing out that the volume of complete duds isn’t the majority of their product - but to be sure, they’re no poster child for Six Sigma.....

It’s actually embarrassing reading some of these stories - I honestly don’t know what prevents them from hiring someone with a background like yours (or of the many forum members who have modern manufacturing expertise) to lead a cultural revolution in quality - perhaps it’s arrogance, perhaps resting on laurels, perhaps because as a subsidiary of Thor AS isn’t allowed to think for itself - or perhaps because their growth rate over the past 5 years has been meteoric and until people “stay away in droves” they assume there’s no need to do anything different. Revenues cover a multitude of sins sometimes....

I don’t know. It is frustrating. It’s not catastrophic for them - yet - but it is just as puzzling as it gets that they aren’t more committed to these proven principles.

Rant on, Old Grumpy - good stuff!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
If AS is serious about getting accurate feedback they should require all buyers to fill out a CSI sheet right here on the Forums.
That would guarantee a representative basis to extrapolate from.

Bob the 'ranter'
🇺🇸

Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
Old 03-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
. . .
. . . It’s actually embarrassing reading some of these stories . . .
. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Quote:

Hello neighbor (yes, I live in Suwanee too),
We purchased our unit from your dealer 15 months ago. It was the second trailer we'd bought from them.
It wasn't perfect, but they quickly handled the more significant problems. We've camped in it over 100 nights now and it's been largely trouble free. Or at least the the troubles we have had have not been show stoppers. We have an appt. at Jackson Center to have the remaining problems (such as a creaking floor) fixed before the trailer goes out of warranty.

I'm sure your trailer will have a few problems, but you'll find Southland RV to be very responsive after the sale.

No, Airstream is not an ISO 9000 certified company, and their quality is nowhere near those sort of standards. I was an ISO internal auditor in an earlier life, and remember what it took to get my company to that level. Hopefully one day they will adopt ISO quality standards, not just have a QC inspector.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:

I purchased a Serenity 28 RBQ from Southland in Atlanta a year ago. Great service before and after the sale. They spent the whole day doing orientation with me. Very thorough and helpful. We had to look hard to find anything wrong. I would buy from them again.

I think many of the above issues go away when you have a good dealer who looks after them before delivery. But I do understand your frustration.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I’m sorry to read about all of your issues. Like others have said, this puts a damper on what should be an exciting time for you. Luckily, we have only had very minor issues with our GT and most I could resolve myself. Your situation is totally unacceptable. It appears that purchasers fall into the camp of our experience or yours. It would be enlightening to know what the percentage breaks down to for each the 2 categories.

The main reason I am responding is to address your wrinkle in the front skin issue. I know of two other people that have had this issue and, as I understand, it ended up being a more structural / frame concern. I would not just caulk it and assume that will fix it. Make an appointment at JC and have them evaluate it while you are under your warranty period.

I did, what I thought, was a very thorough PDI prior to signing any paperwork and checked all the systems twice. Having said that, I did not check the black flush connection and very easily could have had the same issue as you. I also did not loosen the nuts to check behind the front rock guards and this is where one of the persons I know found their wrinkle in the outer skin that led to his structural issue. After I heard from him, I checked behind my rock guards and luckily had no issue.

Like I mentioned earlier, it seems like it was just the luck of getting one that came out OK and one that didn’t. I wish you well in getting your issues resolved and your best chances of having that done will not be in Orlando but at JC in Ohio.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
On the radio having to be re-paired each trip....
I too have that issue. I believe it is due to cutting power to the radio (and the entire trailer) between trips. Unlike your car where the radio is connected to the battery, I use a disconnect switch to completely isolate the batteries. This causes total loss of the radio memory.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
To the original poster:

I am sorry to hear about your experience with your new Globetrotter; especially, since you are new to the RVing world. What a frustrating experience for you!

FWIW - my advice - take your GT to Jackson Center and have the Airstream service center address your issues! I know that it is a haul from your location, but it will be worth it to have their technicians (experienced) take care of repairs. That is what we did with our new GT, and we are PLEASED with the care and quality of the work done at Jackson Center. Do I wish that we didn’t need to travel there? Yes! However, it was worth the hassle and the long trip to Ohio.

We travel full-time in our GT. Over 175 nights to date. Again, this is my advice/experience during our travels getting warranty work done along our journey...NOT ALL dealers are created equal! This is probably not what you want to hear, but maybe it will help you in the future when you need service-under-warranty. We have the best luck with Five-Rivet dealerships since they usually have several AS techs in their service centers. Just a thought and my two cents...

Our experience with the dealer where you purchased your GT - RV One in Orlando - was more than disappointing. That entire dealership has ONE (1) certified Airstream technician/mechanic currently employed there! ONE! Wait times are months long for service. I am not surprised that your GT was delivered to you with so many issues. Many of these problems should have been taken care of by your dealer BEFORE purchase. How much time do you think RV One spends doing dealer prep when their only techinician is eyeballs deep with warranty/repair work?

Airstream of Tampa (RV One) is one beautiful bling-bling dealership, but again months long wait for service! Maybe not enough certified Airstream technicians on staff at present? Kudos for building their beautiful dealership and their hopes for a Airstream “Mecca” in Florida.

I would recommend North Trail RV in Fort Myers, FL - Five-Rivet dealer for warranty work. Depending on what’s needed, JD Sanders in Alachaua, FL is also good.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
On the radio having to be re-paired each trip....
I too have that issue. I believe it is due to cutting power to the radio (and the entire trailer) between trips. Unlike your car where the radio is connected to the battery, I use a disconnect switch to completely isolate the batteries. This causes total loss of the radio memory.

Mine is plugged in all the time and I still have the issue with the Polk unit.. many boaters have reported the same....